Addition Of Raw Sugar?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkitewhitey

Reaction score
Hi there
I'm very new to the whole homebrew thing but am wanting to try something and need some feedback please.
I'm doing a kit coopers real ale and using BE 1 but want to add 500g raw sugar to the mix. Any opinions on what effect this will have on the end result? Increased alcohol volume and more flavour hopefully. Am I WAAAY off the mark here??
Thanks in advance for your thoughts b
Tony

I've used raw sugar in a few of my brews and its gone just fine...

Theres an article somewhere about all the different sugars you can brew with, which i cant find at the moment, but is worth a look.

If your going to use all the BE1 & 500gm of raw sugar you will end up with higher SG, and potentially more ach%. Not sure about whether you'll need to adjust your yeast at all to get through the extra fermentables or flavour impacts but I cant see it being a disaster...

it should be fine ! ive done this before but insted of be1 i used be2 ( always use the be2 , more body ! ) .

but it will be fine , more acl % . have a good read around this forum , its TOPS . i spend more time reading then posting !
regards

The raw sugar will almost totally ferment out.
So, yes, it will increase your alcohol content, by about 8 points in a 23 litre batch.
Any impact on flavour will be minimal.

If you want to add a little more flavour, body and a touch of sweetness, with less impact on the alcohol level, look at steeping, say, 100 to 200 gr Crystal Malt, and adding the steeped liquid to your brew.

Latest posts

Back