Adding Vitamins To Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickk

Reaction score
There was talk of adding Thiamin to beer in the UK, Im sure its added somewhere but I cant remember, maybe its here. Anyway is there a way of adding vitamins to beer without affecting the taste?

Does anyone add anything like vitamins to their brew? <_<

Found this on the net, the whole thing would confuse einstein

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/38/4/376

Aims: To ascertain whether thiamine HCl could be detected in beer using a double-blind triangular taste test.

Methods: Three 100 ml samples of beer to which 10 or 0 mg of thiamine were added were presented in counterbalanced order to 49 volunteers. Subjects consumed and rated each sample separately for taste and appearance and chose which beer was different.

Results: Thiamine-enriched beer could not be reliably distinguished from normal beer. However, a significant perceptual taste difference was found, with participants rating thiamine-fortified beer as more bitter than normal beer.

Conclusions: Thiamine was found to alter the perception of bitterness of beer, but thiamine-fortified beer could not be reliably distinguished from normal beer.

So does that mean you can or cant taste the difference B)

If you drink enough home brew, you would get the daily allowance of B vitamins. I think the commercial brewing processes remove most of them.

What they are saying is that vitamin B restores some flavours removed?

I pulled this quote from the 'net.

Vitamins
Beer contains all B vitamins, primarily courtesy of the malt. Thiamin (B1) and biotin (H) are available in small amounts, but one liter of beer provides 20% of the generally recognized Adult Minimum Daily Requirement of riboflavin (B2), 25% for pantothenic acid (B3) and 36% for pyridoxin (B6). Even better is Niacin. The average adult should have 16.5 mg niacin daily to break down sugars and fatty acids . One liter of beer supplies more than 46% of this amount.

So, if you want to add vitamins, put a bowl of peanuts on your bar. :)

If you add the vitamins in the boil would they not be destroyed by the heat ?

If you added the vitamins to the beer woud they not be destroyed by the alchohol ?

I prefer to add my vitamins the following day to the beer

Gee dont you hate how the bubbles from the Berroca go up your nose .

Pumpy :)

I have thought about this before.

Why?
Just because it could be done, no other real reason other then to try something new?

I originally though mixing some echinacea in with my brew, my thinking was it could support the immune system while enjoying my daily beer but decided against it, some herbs do not mix well with alcohol.

Alcohol can also interact with a wide variety of herbal products. Many people assume that just because a product is described as natural or herbal that it is perfectly safe and cannot interact with other products. This is patently untrue and there are now many examples of alcohol interacting with herbal products. For example, echinacea, camomile and valerian can cause sedation and drowsiness when a person drinks alcohol.
FROM: http://www.irishhealth.com/index.html?level=4&id=3877

It'd be pointless unless it gave it some good flavour, which I couldnt imagine happening. I hate to break it to you vitamin supplements are virtual placebos. i.e. Unless your severely defficient in a particular vitamin, and I mean extremely severly deficient, all vitamin supplements will do is give you expensive urine.

The proposal is in-effect to put back the vitamins taken out during filtering.

Not a problem for us serious beer heads

MHB

Beer is Vitamin P

Forget the rest, it's all you need.

All those ingriedients in Vegemite,,,
"We all enjoy our Vegemite Beer.as happy as can be"....
A "KRAFT" beer...maybe???????????????
PJ

It'd be pointless unless it gave it some good flavour, which I couldnt imagine happening. I hate to break it to you vitamin supplements are virtual placebos. i.e. Unless your severely defficient in a particular vitamin, and I mean extremely severly deficient, all vitamin supplements will do is give you expensive urine.

Totally incorrect.

I have seen the effects of thiamine deficiency in the form of Wernicke-Korsakoffs Syndrome as a result of alcohol abuse. Not nice.

The issue of adding vitamins to beer is not to enhance the flavour or replace those removed in processing. It is merely a method of delivery.

According to the link provided, it has been done already in bread. Other examples abound.

My question would be...why beer? Why not metho, or (as seen in one case last night) fruity lexia?

PJ
I love to have KRAFT nite every now and then. :beerbang:

Kan't Remember A F :party: Thing

PJ

I think that should actually be Sanatarium Marmite :p

Doc

Totally incorrect.

Your body prefers to extract the vitamins and minerals from whole foods and excretes excess vitamins and minerals from supplements via in urine or feces. Remember how you use nutrients is based on genes that are thousands of years old and depended on food, not pills.

If you eat more than 1600 calories and a variety of food, you may be wasting your money and making some very expensive urine.

That's once source I found in about 15 seconds - I'm sure you'd do better arguing with the dieticians and sitology research doctors at any university though. I will admit a lot of 'vitamin supplement' pills contain essential trace elements (zinc,iron,etc) that may help (and that alone makes what I said nowhere near "totally" incorrect, whatever way you look at the vitamin argument) , but dosing up on Vitamin C (for example) isn't going to help unless you have a significant deficiency in it, that is, for example - if you already have all of the vitamin C in your body that it needs, taking more wont make you recover from a cold quicker - at least according to everything credible I've ever read...I'm sure you could quote some hippy written natural remedies text that claims otherwise. If you look deeper into it they can likley cure cancer or aids with a simple ground herb & seed mix too, just after your iridologist diagnosed you - much to the amazement of the serious medical community I might add...its pity medicine isnt more scientific in general, we'll never get anywhere with people spending more time making it into an artform that actually wanting to make more worthwhile progression, though I digress...

I have seen the effects of thiamine deficiency in the form of Wernicke-Korsakoffs Syndrome as a result of alcohol abuse. Not nice.

Yeah I agree totally here, where there is deficiency, supplements can help

The bottom line is that some vitamins are fat soluble and others aren't.

Fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E & K) can be stored in the body's fat reserves.

Water soluble viamins can't be stored and need to be ingested on a daily basis. Vitamins B & C fall into this category and are both seriously depleted by alcohol. Thus Berocca-stylee products concentrate mostly on these two.

As for putting B-group vitamins into beer, simple logic says that the more you drink the more you piss. But whether this means that you'd be flushing out the extra vitamins before they got a chance to do any good or not is open to debate.

Slow release multi-vits are designed to stop the production of "expensive urine" by slowly releasing the water soluble vitamins during the day to allow better absorbtion. But these are basically coated tablets that don't break down in the upper gut - so no good for this application.

Latest posts

Back