Adding Spices To Primary - Dull Spice Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garthus

Reaction score
Hi All,

About a week ago I put down my first AG BIAB after being at the ThirstyBoy demo at Grain & Grape.

I decided to go crazy and brew a Pumpkin Ale as I have a Christmas in July brew off with a few mates and wanted to try something crazy first time :) based upon this recipe:
Pumpkin Ale Recipe

All went well, and its been fermenting happily but I have an issue with the spices. When I poured from the cube into the fermenter the spices are strong and lovely but tasting a sample after taking a gravity reading yesterday I can taste the Pumpkin but none of the spice.

I was wondering if I could get away with adding it to the primary now before I CC prior to bottling what does everyone here think?

I have read other options such as putting it in secondary but I don't really want to do that as a) I have only one fermenter and B) I get nervous about racking to secondary anyway. I have also heard about putting the spices into vodka for a week possibly before adding - all to get rid of potential nasties.

So after all that - what does everyone think? Should i just put some more spices in before CC, leave it alone and have another home brew, or something else?

Thoughts appreciated!

Garthus

Jamil recommends adjusting spices little by little in BCS, coincidentally in relation to a pumpkin ale I think. Add a little, give it time to infuse, taste - and so on.

Be interested to see how it turns out as I was going to half batch SMASH recipe to get an idea of how pumpkin works in the finished beer. I hear it's one of Dogfish Head's most popular beers.

That, and I also have an abundance of pumpkin taking over the garden at the moment..

Jamil recommends adjusting spices little by little in BCS, coincidentally in relation to a pumpkin ale I think. Add a little, give it time to infuse, taste - and so on.

Be interested to see how it turns out as I was going to half batch SMASH recipe to get an idea of how pumpkin works in the finished beer. I hear it's one of Dogfish Head's most popular beers.

That, and I also have an abundance of pumpkin taking over the garden at the moment..

All I can say is that I had a Pumpkin Ale when I was living in the USA and it was amazing, especially as it was cold outside with a log fire.

Do try it, if I can get the spices right, the pumpkin as a base is actually really nice and will be amazing (to my palette anyway)

So back to my original question, can I add spices straight to the primary or is this a bad idea?

Yes most likely some of the spice was scrubbed out by fermentation.

I do not see why adding spices to primary would be a problem. Just make sure everything is clean and sanitary.

If you are suss about the spices at all, maybe infuse in a small amount of boiling water first.

Back