Adding Malt To Dextrose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benbrewer

Reaction score
I have just put down a Lime infused beer based on the Cortes Cerveza. I used a malt/cornsyrup/dextrose blend that I picked up from my LHBS. I have some malt at home and have a question about mixing up your own batch of malt dextrose.

Would you use 750 of dextrose and 250 of malt to make a kilo, or go with 500 dextrose and 500 malt? Or just add 250-500g of malt to a kilo of dextrose. Looking at playing with the flavour of some kits.

Bit confused which way to go as my Tooheys extra dry in the fermenter now is a dextrose light dry malt blend which was a kilo.

Cheers

It all depends on what you are looking for....

Personally, go all malt, 1.5kg and ditch the dex.. I started doing this a while ago and it makes quite a difference....Same Alc%, but the improvement in taste and mouthfeel is a huge one.

It all depends on what you are looking for....

Personally, go all malt, 1.5kg and ditch the dex.. I started doing this a while ago and it makes quite a difference....Same Alc%, but the improvement in taste and mouthfeel is a huge one.
If you're doing a lime infused beer though then:
a. all malt adds to sweetness, so it may be TOO sweet with all malt, and;
b. I picture lime infused as often desiring the beer to be lighter body, meaning that some dex might be ideal.

But you are right - it all depends what you're looking for and there's no wrong answer :)

In my kits days I found that for a lighter style beer such as Coopers Lager or Morgans Queensland Bitter, all LDME turned out a bit muddy and accordingly used 750g dex and 500g LDME with a better yeast such as Nottingham which gives a cleaner less 'home brew' flavour.

I would forget about the so called 'corn syrup'. It's actually a substance called maltodextrin that 'thickens' up the brew for better foaming and head retention. It's a common food additive but despite the 'malt' in the name it has no connection with the malt used in brewing.

You can easily do this more naturally by getting a specialty grain called 'carapils' that you would steep about 300g in a litre of hot water for half an hour, drain it, boil the liquid for twenty minutes and chuck into fermenter with the other bits. Gives a nice grainy flavour and great heading.

In my kits days I found that for a lighter style beer such as Coopers Lager or Morgans Queensland Bitter, all LDME turned out a bit muddy and accordingly used 750g dex and 500g LDME with a better yeast such as Nottingham which gives a cleaner less 'home brew' flavour.

I would forget about the so called 'corn syrup'. It's actually a substance called maltodextrin that 'thickens' up the brew for better foaming and head retention. It's a common food additive but despite the 'malt' in the name it has no connection with the malt used in brewing.

You can easily do this more naturally by getting a specialty grain called 'carapils' that you would steep about 300g in a litre of hot water for half an hour, drain it, boil the liquid for twenty minutes and chuck into fermenter with the other bits. Gives a nice grainy flavour and great heading.

The corn syrup/dextrose and malt blend was from the HBS so I went with it, but I have some light dry malt at home. Not yet ready or prepared for AG so I want to play around using kits as a base and get a feel for what does what. In the past have only added malts and different yeasts to change the kit around. I will have a look into carapils. So just do what you said and just keep with dextrose and that?

Back