Adding lemon to Morgan's Queenslander Lager kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altpferd

Reaction score
I admit to liking Coronas. Let me apologise for that firstly, and secondly, to obtain a similar, but hopefully improved taste, would adding lemon juice and lemon rind to the Morgan's Queenslander Lager kit, along with 500g malt and 500g dextrose, achieve this goal?

Lemon is added to Coronas to hide the taste of nasty skunked beer due to it being stored in clear glass
This has been discussed many times, and the verdict is usually just add lemon at the time of serving

Thank you. I should add that I'm not using a Cerveza kit due to the heat, I can control the temperature so it stays under 28 degrees but that's it. The Morgan's Queenslander range can cope with those temperatures.

Perhaps a better question would be .. how can I get a light easy drinking lager out of the Morgan's Queenslander beer kit?

In answer to adding lemon, use Sorachi Ace as a 10 min addition. Not even much, 5-10g should do it.

Pour half the tin into a pot with about 5 L of hot water and bring to the boil, turn heat off and add malt and dextrose, dissolve all of it then bring back to the boil.

Throw hop pellets in and boil for ten minutes, add entire contents plus the other half of the tin to fermenter, swirl it round a bit to dissolve the goop, top to ~23L with cold water.

Chuck your fermenter in a tub of water with a wet towel draped around it, add some frozen coke bottles full of water and replace them every 6-12 hours
This should keep your fermenter in the low 20s

altpferd said:
Thank you. I should add that I'm not using a Cerveza kit due to the heat, I can control the temperature so it stays under 28 degrees but that's it. The Morgan's Queenslander range can cope with those temperatures.
Some thought on temp control may also help. I'm the other side of Jimboomba and can successfully control FV temps to around 20' with a simple evaporative setup, which consists of a wheelbarrow with the wheel jacked up to get the tray level, 3 bricks for the FV to sit on, water to just below top of the bricks and a wet towel wrapped around the FV and draped in the water, positioned in the breezeway of the house. On 3rd Nov ambient in the breezeway was 32.3' and the FV temp was 21'

Thanks folks. I'm currently waiting on getting a dead fridge to use for temp control with ice blocks.
Will be a few weeks though.

Back