Adding Late Fermentables

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviary

Reaction score
Hello all,

I made a pilsener last week but I achieved a very poor efficiency. The wort has fermented out to a low FG and the resulting beer will be thin and overly bitter.

My question is, am I able to add additional fermentables to the beer at this stage (it is still in the primary) to bring the alcohol and body back towards the expected levels?

Thanks, David.

Morning Avairy. It will be easier to knock up another batch, but stronger, and blend the two beers. Do you know where your poor efficiency comes from ?

Morning Avairy. It will be easier to knock up another batch, but stronger, and blend the two beers. Do you know where your poor efficiency comes from ?

Yeah, I mashed in a new vessel and I think I had some problems getting the water through the grist. Also, I tried a protein rest and had trouble hitting the mash temperature after this. Basically I think I was trying too much too soon and now I'm trying to salvage it.

David.

Yeah, I mashed in a new vessel and I think I had some problems getting the water through the grist. Also, I tried a protein rest and had trouble hitting the mash temperature after this. Basically I think I was trying too much too soon and now I'm trying to salvage it.

David.
I 2nd the Blend opinion.
Alternatively, throw in a bag of DME and hope for the best.

I would say yes - but be careful not to overdo it. A sickly sweet beer would be even worse!

It's hard to guess how much attenuation you'd get from extra fermentables if your primary is pretty much finished. Be sure and "rouse" your yeast if you try it.

The technique is resonably common - adding fermentables as primary fermentation is slowing. eg. in high gravity Belgian styles and such it can improve the yeasts performance. I was about to try this myself actually, but am not speaking from experience.

Latest posts

Back