Add Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipster

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've put on this Cooper's can on, Australian pale, it's been now in drum for 24h at 18c and 24h at 22c, total 48h still no bubbles, the top is nice and frothy but no bubbles on air lock.

I have this liquid amber yeast from a friend in my fridge, shall I add some of that?

BTW my Czeck pills went beauty, thanks for your comments last time.

z.

Hi there,

I've put on this Cooper's can on, Australian pale, it's been now in drum for 24h at 18c and 24h at 22c, total 48h still no bubbles, the top is nice and frothy but no bubbles on air lock.

I have this liquid amber yeast from a friend in my fridge, shall I add some of that?

BTW my Czeck pills went beauty, thanks for your comments last time.

z.

na just let it sit . is the water level in the airlock ? or is one side up a bit .
i put on a coopers blond the other week and did not bubble for a few days and when it started it was slow as ! but now shes speeding up and clearing out . just let it do its thing .

air lock is levelled.. so i keep it roun' 22c see what happens, maybe will hear something tonight then

yea just keep an eye on it , sounds like there might be an air leek, just make sure the lid is on tight and away it will go . cheers

it should be sweet then , ive read before that dont realy go off the airlock anyway , take og readings .

some people dont even use the lid or the airlock , they just cover with cling wrap and a rubber band or O ring and do it that way , and take readings .
dont no why though , but let me no how you go with yours . :chug:

it should be sweet then , ive read before that dont realy go off the airlock anyway , take og readings .

some people dont even use the lid or the airlock , they just cover with cling wrap and a rubber band or O ring and do it that way , and take readings .
dont no why though , but let me no how you go with yours . :chug:
i have convinced myself to go glad wrap finally.
4 good reasons:
1. easier to dry hop when fermenter is in the fridge
2. easier to see whats going on in fermenter
3. you can buy the 25ltr drums from bunnings and use these as a fermenter 15 bucks each (lid doesn't look food grade ) and use oring to hold the gladwrap
4. takes up less height space on the fridge so i can fit 2 fermenters :)

Sounds like its all going well. With a foaming top fermentation is under way. ,

Interesting article there.. Thanks.

However if you are compleatly sealing the drum with glad wrap you must be aware that you may get a good swell in certain cases.. That's pure physics

You do get a swell in the glad wrap and you can see the action inside. the CO2 leaks out OK around the thread.

However if you are compleatly sealing the drum with glad wrap you must be aware that you may get a good swell in certain cases.. That's pure physics
The fact that yeast ferment sugars to produce alcohol and CO2-gas is more microbiology than pure physics. :)

okay wolfie so let's say microbiology and mechanics...

Thanks chaps this is a great place here.

I have thought of something maybe relevant in the fermentation process, the chemical contens of the tap water I use, is high in cholrine. Would that mean that it is slowing down the fermentation process?

I guess it might be.

I have thought of something maybe relevant in the fermentation process, the chemical contens of the tap water I use, is high in cholrine. Would that mean that it is slowing down the fermentation process?

I guess it might be.
Just don't worry about it for now, Zipster. The yeast is doing it's job and I'm sure it'll be fine.

I know but what I'm sayin' is that the chlorine is probably weakening the yeast.. So that's probably not helping

I wouldn't have a clue if a high chlorine level would slow yeast.

You said the top is nice and frothy. So basically the yeast is working.
Do you take hydrometer readings? They tell you more than an airlock. Sometimes mine bubbles, sometimes they don't.
Taste the readings, don't pour them back in.

Your profile does not indicate your location, but chlorine is easy to get rid of, just let your water sit for a day before you brew with it, chloramines are a little more difficult and may require treatment, but dropping 1/2 a campden tablet in should get rid of it if you are really worried.

Don't know about chlorine, but something smells fishy. :ph34r:

Back