Add More Yeast After 1 Week?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistat

Reaction score
I've had my brew in for 1 week and 1 day now, and after the first 3 days the fermenter stopped bubbling. It's been around 22-24 so I would have expected to see it go for at least a week. The OG was 1038, and the SG is now at 1022. As you can see there is still a heap of unfermented sugars in the wort.

Would you advise adding another packet of yeast to the wort after a week? Or give this is my first brew, just let it settle and bottle it, and get on to making my 2nd batch?

Cheers,
Mike.

Edit: As you can tell from my original thread, I'm a little concerned about this beer!
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=50981

Sounds like you might have a stuck ferment.

If you can rack to a secondary vessel or initially give the fermenter a good gentle swirl to rouse up the yeast - it should be enough to kick start your ferment again.

I would not bottle at that gravity, it would lead to bottle bombs!

I've had my brew in for 1 week and 1 day now, and after the first 3 days the fermenter stopped bubbling. It's been around 22-24 so I would have expected to see it go for at least a week. The OG was 1038, and the SG is now at 1022. As you can see there is still a heap of unfermented sugars in the wort.

Would you advise adding another packet of yeast to the wort after a week? Or give this is my first brew, just let it settle and bottle it, and get on to making my 2nd batch?

Cheers,
Mike.

Edit: As you can tell from my original thread, I'm a little concerned about this beer!
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=50981

DON'T PANIC and do anything silly like pitching more yeast at this stage.

Read the replys to all the other threads on non-bubbling airlocks. Coopers has actually produced a new patented fermenter without an airlock and it justifies this in the patent because airlocks not bubbling apparently cause the widespread misconception that a brew has stopped fermenting.

Don't pitch new yeast. Keep it closed up. Keep taking SG measurments daily. If the SG measurments stay the same for three days and its not at bottling gravity then give the fermenter a good hearty swirl (keep it closed) to stir up the yeast.

Cheers

When you are taking the gravity reading do you

1. Tip the original wort from the tap out, as it will have yeast etc, then refill with clean wort ?
2. Spin the hydrometer to ensure no bubbles cling to it?
3. Leave the wort in the hydrometer and recheck the reading 30mins later? (helps with the wort having less CO2 disolved)

If thats all good, I would then clean / santise your brew spoons and give the wort a stir.

QldKev

What yeast is it...
And take another reading.

Chech your hydrometer with water for a 0 reading.

Cheere

Still 1.022 tonight, I let it raise 2degrees today to try and spruse life into it. No go.
Gave it a whirl and got the temp back to 22degree. Hopefully that will work.
I'm using S05 yeast. Originally pitched at 30degree so maybe that's where the issue lays. It worked too hard and burnt out quick? If it's still 1.022 tomorrow I'll have to try another pack of yeast.

Cheers.

I dont think it would burn out too quick - it just might throw some off flavours! I have inadvertently pitched yeast into wort around 35 mark thinking it would kill it once I realised my mistake. End result was a tasty IPA!

yeah pitching that high and letting it drop could cause a stuck ferment depending on how quick the drop was the yeast may have just gone to sleep. also to help your brews in future it would be advisable not to pitch at such a high temp.do a search theres plenty of advice on temp control on this site and how much of an improvement lower ferment temps can make.and do not bottle yet bottle bombs can be very nasty.

You could do a fast ferment test. I've never done 1 so someone correct me if I've got this wrong.

Get a sample in yr hydro tube. Leave it in the lovely current Adelaide ambient temperature (lovely for a fast ferment, not so good for the fermenter). Shake it every time you walk past it or think of it. The reading you get from that is the fg of that beer. I'm pretty sure I've missed some points there but like I said, I've never tried it.

I'd be pretty suspicious of a beer with under 50% attenuation. How confident are you that the og reading was accurate?

If it's still 1.022 tomorrow I'll have to try another pack of yeast.

Cheers.

Other things to try before adding more yeast but if that's the path you choose make an active starter first. Don't just chuck it in.

@hatchy - suggested in my earlier link

Good point, I probably should read threads properly before handing out advice.

Back