Add Fan To Old Refrigerator?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
My kegerator is made out of a pretty old fridge. There are no computer ic parts or transistors.

I want to add a couple 120mm fans inside to keep beer lines from freezing...even up the temp in the box.

My goal is to use a DPDT (form c) cube relay I have in stock. Have the fans cycle when the compressor runs.

The coil is rated 12vdc-28vdc the contacts are rated 240vac. I don't know if the 60Hz cycle makes a difference on a relay.

I have the socket for it. I just need to do some research if there are any low voltage contacts in the thermostat, and if so are they accessible. Will they handle the draw of the fans?

If not I need to get an ac rated relay or fans that will run on ac and just parallel onto the pump motor.

Why have them turning off and on, pc fans draw bugger all power?

Get a 12v power supply
eg (for Aust power)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-100-240V-DC-...=item43ac61f183
That sucker would run a few 120mm pc fans.

You wouldn't noticed any difference on your power bill running that 24x7

Otherwise use the relay to switch the 12v power supply and pick up the 240v output from the thermostat to operate the relay.

Get a 12v power supply
eg (for Aust power)

Otherwise use the relay to switch the 12v power supply and pick up the 240v output from the thermostat to operate the relay.

I was just thinking, I could add a 12v supply tapped off the compressor motor circuit.

thermostat_circuit.JPG

Any chance there's 12V lights in the fridge? If so and you could reverse the logic so that fans are on when the door is closed, that'd be perfect.

My kegerator is made out of a pretty old fridge. There are no computer ic parts or transistors.

I want to add a couple 120mm fans inside to keep beer lines from freezing...even up the temp in the box.

My goal is to use a DPDT (form c) cube relay I have in stock. Have the fans cycle when the compressor runs.

The coil is rated 12vdc-28vdc the contacts are rated 240vac. I don't know if the 60Hz cycle makes a difference on a relay.

I have the socket for it. I just need to do some research if there are any low voltage contacts in the thermostat, and if so are they accessible. Will they handle the draw of the fans?

If not I need to get an ac rated relay or fans that will run on ac and just parallel onto the pump motor.

My kegerator... to keep beer lines from freezing
I understand that for lagering you may want 0-4 oC in a fermenting or lagering fridge, or doing and eisbock etc you may want it colder but if your beer lines are freezing then surely that is too cold for a kegerator serving beer?
For once I am not teasing you, it's a legitimate question.
I certainly see that fans would as you say "even up the temp in the box".

I understand that for lagering you may want 0-4 oC in a fermenting or lagering fridge, or doing and eisbock etc you may want it colder but if your beer lines are freezing then surely that is too cold for a kegerator serving beer?
For once I am not teasing you, it's a legitimate question.
I certainly see that fans would as you say "even up the temp in the box".

the deal is my fridge is an overblown dorm fridge...ergo exposed aluminum cooling box inside a bigger insulated box. My shanks are maybe 3cm away from the freezing cold aluminum. I have some foam insulation crammed between the two, which helps. I've place a thermometer in the bottom of the fridge in a bottle of water and it says 6C. If a fan aimed at my shanks or just circulate around would warm them up a little that would be great

Get a 12v power supply
eg (for Aust power)

Lolz exact same unit from same seller i ordered for stirplate.

I have many supplies already. They were for a bunch of computer printers

If these fans don't draw that much power, I will just find a small 12v battery replacer and run 24/7. If I wanted to get fancy I could install a button in the door jam to turn the fans on...but why would I need to do that?

For that matter, the wire required is so small I can simply run it out the door on the hinge side. Nobody will be able to see it.

I am getting far too practical and away from my Mt. Everest mentality.

If these fans don't draw that much power, I will just find a small 12v battery replacer and run 24/7. If I wanted to get fancy I could install a button in the door jam to turn the fans on...but why would I need to do that?

For that matter, the wire required is so small I can simply run it out the door on the hinge side. Nobody will be able to see it.

I am getting far too practical and away from my Mt. Everest mentality.

This is how mine has been running for years. (without a switch)

QldKev

This is how mine has been running for years. (without a switch)

QldKev

Didn't you tell me to do it this way before?

I have a pension for making things way more difficult than need be.

I have an STC1000 heating and cooling. Would it be a bad idea to put a double adaptor on my cooler output to then power the fan?

You may be better off wiring a third outlet so that the fan is always on, but yes a double adaptor is a good and easy idea. Just remember that pc fans are DC and mains power is AC so you'll obviously need a power transforming adapter. I think most mobile phone ones would do the trick.

I'd just leave the fan on 24/7, or at the most wire it up to turn off when the door is open

Latest posts

Back