Acid Washing Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norsman

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been reading up on acid washing yeast, it's not something I've ever tried but I am considering doing it to maintain my own cultures over time.
Most information I've found suggests using a phosphoric acid solution with pH 2 - 2.5

My question is, considering that Starsan is a no rinse low pH sanitizer can I use Starsan instead of Phosphoric acid to do an acid wash?

Hey all,
I've been reading up on acid washing yeast, it's not something I've ever tried but I am considering doing it to maintain my own cultures over time.
Most information I've found suggests using a phosphoric acid solution with pH 2 - 2.5

My question is, considering that Starsan is a no rinse low pH sanitizer can I use Starsan instead of Phosphoric acid to do an acid wash?

If Starsan did not kill yeast, it wouldn't be doing its job properly and we'd all have wild yeast infections.

I thought acid-wash went out in the eighties... along with leg warmers and Billy-ray Cyrus

(Sorry couldn't resist, I am a truly weak soul)
Rabz

Acid washing is really only necessary if you're reusing your yeast 5+ times. That said, I think that Star San's active ingredient is actually phosphoric acid. The only drawback would be the foam.

To acid wash, all you need to do is slowly add acid to your yeast slurry while you measure the pH. You just have to get it down to ~2.1 - 2.2 and you're done. The acid will eventually kill the yeast so you need to have some wort available to pitch your washed yeast into. I think that you have about 30 minutes max.

I use Phos Acid to 2.2 for 20 min then pitch to 2L of wort for a starter.

Screwy

Edit: Probably should add that I do this at around 4C. Starting with 4 times as much yeast slurry as required for pitching then adding an equal amount of chilled boiled water then add acid drop by drop until down to PH 2.2 or slightly below.

Ok, maybe it is all ph specific. Comment retracted and drink my humble beer.

Hey all,

Mate, do slants. easier to do, and the yeast you will use hasn't made beer.
Re-using slurry mutates (so I have read) the yeast so you will have to buy new yeast from time to time.
Making slants a yeast purchase will last many years.
Storing test tubes takes up minimal space as well.

Cheers,
Bud

Back