Accommodation/pubs near UNSW in Kensington

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lecterfan

Yeast, unleashed in the East...
Reaction score
Hi all,

going to a conference end of October held at UNSW in Kensington. Are there any cheap(ish) places to stay around there? Any decent pubs?

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

Pubs? Not really, there's a Local Taphouse http://www.thelocal.com.au/SYD/ about 5k's up the road, but that's really it unless you head into the CBD. Don't know about accom, but if you like Chinese food you'll be in paradise.

Or Indonesian, Malaysian, Singaporean etc.
Taphouse is only a 10 minute bus ride up the road, otherwise welcome to the barren beer wastelands of Eastern Sydney!

There's a few places to stay on Anzac Parade, Kensington or up in Randwick, or then you're over towards Coogee - all walking distance to UNSW.

Pubs are limited in the area, dire Tooheys New megabarns abound!

Head to CBD on the bus. Taphouse, Harts, RedOak etc.
There is a Bavarian Bier Cafe at Fox Studios. Has a limited range of decent German beers, bit pricey (as is the Taphouse) but a little nearer.

Kensington pubs are terrible - Churchills, Doncaster, Roundhouse, Regent - the beer is worst case scenario, the pubs are fairly dire too.

Many Guest Houses as you head towards Randwick side of the Uni near the hospital...
Get on the 370 bus towards Liechardt from High Street outside the Uni for a 10 minute ride to the Union Hotel in Newtown and 20 taps of craft beer

Yep, staying in Randwick…might try to have a butchers at the Union depending on if this conference provides me with dinner or not. Otherwise a quick trip the tap house might have to suffice. Thanks for the help guys, flying out tomorrow.

I work on campus at UNSW, but will be in Coffs Harbour for the rest of the week. Pickings are slim but the best picks on campus are;
The Whitehouse - Good Bottle selection, JS Golden and Kosciusko Pale Ale on Tap.
The Roundhouse - JS, LC and White Rabbit on tap.

The Regent down on Anzac Pde has cheap lunch specials and the $9 steak or schnitzel is eadible. It also has JS Golden, Coopers Pale and Matilda Bay Minimum Chips on tap.

You are probably best to jump a bus up to the Local Taphouse on Flinders Street. Short Stumble from there down to the Schwarz Brewing Co at the Macquarie Hotel on Goulborn St.

Good luck.

Tim

Hey thanks Tim. The dinner for the conference is at the Whitehouse so thats no worries, I can live with those tap options... thanks for the info!

No worries. I hope you enjoyed your conference.

Tim

Back