Accidently Boiled Grain, Have I Ruined My Batch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favorite subjects, Boiling Grain.

Medium long answer As has been pointed out it is the pH of the liquid that you boil the grains in that makes the difference. I looked at the amount of grain and the amount of water you used and I think you will be ok. Where the problem occurs is when the water is significantly more then the grain and the pH stays high or alkaline. The reason why almost if not all brewing literature says to not boil the grain is many sources say to add the grain to large amounts of water. By doing so the pH will stay high and tannins can be extracted. Heat does play a part in rinsing the tannins that the pH has extracted but heat alone does not increase the tannins. The best example of when we want to boil grain is when we do a decoction. Not to give a complete definition or reason why decoction is used, just say that part of the grain and just enough liquid to keep from burning the grain is removed and boiled. The key is the amount of liquid is low so the pH will stay low and the boiled grain will not have enough tannin extracted to effect the taste of the finished beer.

Short answer Relax do not worry and have a beer. Just try and not boil the grain unless you have a reason.

Latest posts

Back