Abe Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
I just ordered a couple of books from the classic beer series (altbier and porter) from the book depository. Those who don't know the book depository UK should familiarise themselves. Cheap books, including brewing books and best of all the price stated is the price you pay. They convert to your preferred currency and charge nothing for shipping (makes a huge difference to final price). I've used them a few times and been well happy with the service and price.

Anyway there were a couple more books from the series that I was interested in - stout and Belgian Ale which weren't listed at the BD. A quick search brought up another website - ABE Books.

http://www.abebooks.com/

My nickname as a kid from my parents was Abe on account of my given name initials being AB but that's irrelevant. The good thing about this site is that it is also free shippping so if you're looking for a book that depository doesn't have, try here. Prices were comparable - two books from BD were about 25 AUD (total, delivered) and so were the two from ABE.

Same books would cost between 30 and 40 EACH if bought here.

The good thing about Book depository is that paypal is an option for payment, the good thing about ABE is that you can elect to have details saved. I get a bit funny about typing details in every time (although I guess I could wear tin foil hats about a massive database with my credit card number - lucky it's only debit).

Anyway posted for those of us who like reading brewing books and don't want the library to cost the earth.

Disclaimer: I only ordered today for the first time from ABE. I have used BD and can vouch for delivery and service. I can also do the same for Amazon. As yet I will have to wait to see if I can do the same for ABE.

http://www.abebooks.com/

The good thing about this site is that it is also free shippping so if you're looking for a book that depository doesn't have, try here. Prices were comparable - two books from BD were about 25 AUD (total, delivered) and so were the two from ABE.

ABE Books is a site that searches other bookshops online and sorts them in whatever order you choose (cheapest to most expensive is the default but there are other sorting methods) and charges you whatever the cost of the book is plus whatever the charge for shipping is for each different listing.

The bookshops ABE searches through includes The Book Depository.

And so. That is why they cost the same. They are probably the exact same individual books. ABE Books brought up the first, cheapest listings which were probably from The Book Depository and that is why it appears as though ABE Books does not charge for shipping (when they sometimes do, depending on the seller)

either way, you are dead right; these are two awesome online bookshops

Another site is booko which include postage to Aus in their total - again its not a shop but a search engine that provides you the cheapest shops

http://www.booko.com.au/

I have used this often for technical text books and saved a large amount - its criminal what they charge in aus for texts. This will also search BD UK and USA which normally sit around the top.

ABE Books is a site that searches other bookshops online and sorts them in whatever order you choose (cheapest to most expensive is the default but there are other sorting methods) and charges you whatever the cost of the book is plus whatever the charge for shipping is for each different listing.

The bookshops ABE searches through includes The Book Depository.

And so. That is why they cost the same. They are probably the exact same individual books. ABE Books brought up the first, cheapest listings which were probably from The Book Depository and that is why it appears as though ABE Books does not charge for shipping (when they sometimes do, depending on the seller)

either way, you are dead right; these are two awesome online bookshops

Interesting. I couldn't find the two books on the depository site that I was looking for despite various keyword, author and ISBN searches.

Anyway good to know.

one vote here for early english books online. You'll need to go to a library with a subscription to the databse, but I just picked up some fantastic brewing texts - the most percular so far is "A Treatise on Warm Beer: Wherein it is declared by many reasons that beer so qualified is farre more wholesome than that which is drunk cold". 143 pages, printed in 1641.

Pretty cool stuff.

I've seen some great stuff at EEBO but it's all transcripts unless I've stuffed something up. You're relying on somebody else's scanning abilities and in some cases that verges on unreadable (especially considering you are often trying to decipher middle English as well).

Definitely worth a look - just a different kettle of fish as far as I can see.

I've been getting scans of the original texts - not transcripts. I think searchable transcripts might actually be more useful....

edit: Didn't read your reply properly - Agree that reading things is very hard going, especially when all the S's are replaced with F's.

Yeah sorry I meant original scans. The legibility of some of them leave a bit to be desired.

Someone here inherited an old brewing book some months ago - found the scan on EEBO (uni student so I have access to various databases) and could hardly read a thing.

After Randy Mosher mentioned it in his presentation, I downloaded the London and Country Brewer. It's first on the list for me.

Yeah, it's hell cheaper than buying here. My friend bought "Tasting Beer" by Randy Mosher, during Randy Moshers talk for about $17AUS. They were charging $40 at ANHC.

Interesting. I couldn't find the two books on the depository site that I was looking for despite various keyword, author and ISBN searches.

Anyway good to know.

Had a better look at the site (should have done before posting the thread) and yes it seems to search through and yes it seems my books are from the book depository. Makes me think the depository search engine is about as good as the one on this site (my only complaint so far). Seriously looked by author, keyword, title, isbn and came up with zilch for the two I was looking for. Maybe ABE is particularly useful as a search engine?

After Randy Mosher mentioned it in his presentation, I downloaded the London and Country Brewer. It's first on the list for me.

There's a transcript on project gutenberg in epub and kindle (plus plain text. Always worth checking the good project before you digs in your pocket I say.

cheers

grant

Latest posts

Back