A Tale Of 2 Beers!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Brewers, i brew 50Lt batches - strange number now i think of it.

25Lt in each fermenter and then i keg x2 + 1/2 keg and some bottles for storage. Any way i did a US pale ale - keg 1 was great, but keg 2 seems to lack any of the hop aroma/flav.

I split my yeast starter between the 2 fermenters, both in the same fridge so same wort, yeast, fridge.

what could cause this?
a) i drank the first keg so now i am used to the beer and hence the hops dont stand out now?
B) no idea??

i am at a loss

Did the 2nd keg sit while u drank the first? Hop flavour and aroma can reduce over time....

Ben

i agree, however the last one ran out yesterday and i started the second keg.

both kegs on the same CO2, same pressure, in the same fridge

Its not infected (as far as i know) its like a plain ol beer with more malt and body. The hops seem to have gone on holiday.

I could imagine mates would love this beer as nothing stands out, the other keg they would have asked whats that flavour (hops overload)

its most strange

How long between cracking the first keg and the second? Hop aroma/flavour does tend to fade over time and as been discussed here the only way around it is - more hops! :) I've personally started using campden tabs to assist with the stability issue. I've noted it mostly with kegs that sit half full for a while - volitiles tend to dissapate in the empty headspace of the keg, rather than your glass.

time between kegs was one pint :) say 10 min

i have had a few today while i work on the reno and its not the same beer - most strange

It not even like it is lighter on hops - there is no hop flavour so i now wonder if a infection can do this?

Hmm, that's odd. Dirty lines going to your taps? Dirty taps? Dirty keg/not cleaned or sanitised properly?

Brewers, i brew 50Lt batches - strange number now i think of it.

25Lt in each fermenter and then i keg x2 + 1/2 keg and some bottles for storage. Any way i did a US pale ale - keg 1 was great, but keg 2 seems to lack any of the hop aroma/flav.

I split my yeast starter between the 2 fermenters, both in the same fridge so same wort, yeast, fridge.

what could cause this?
a) i drank the first keg so now i am used to the beer and hence the hops dont stand out now?
B) no idea??

i am at a loss

Seing as they came from 2 fermenters, did you keg them at the same time, i.e. did one sit on the yeast in the fermenter longer than the other?

same beer line and tap. and both fermenters where cleaned, starsan'd and filled / fermented then kegs all within 15min

I can only think of a bug thats stripped the hops - they are 2 different beers

the more i drink of the second keg the more i dislike it

nfi ... but ...

1) the yeast starter that you split ... was it exactly split in half ? if one fermenter got more yeast than the other, could have been a more vigorous ferment that stripped the hop flavour from that batch ???????

2) did the hops from the boil end up settling in only one of the fermenters ? any late hops could have sat in one fermenter only, slowly adding more hop flavour during the ferment ?

Bugs won't strip hop character but oxidation will. You mention you use star-san which iirc isn't an oxidising sanitiser, but was there any difference in handling between fermenters and kegs that could have resulted in more oxy pickup in the second?

both fermenters where filled from the same boil - i guess one could have got more hops but i would have thought it would have been a very similar beer.

both fermenters got a star san - same mix - tipped from one to the next then down the drain so i assue its equal

its a shame one was great and the other average at best

i have never had this before and i always double batch - i am normally very clean too so its hard to explain

RE yeast starter - its 50:50 within a few ml and i stir it up then tip so it should be mostly equal

What about the keg, was there anything between them that could explain the difference?

this has become a real conundrum, wednesday night trivia at the local ....

how many full kegs do you have ? have you mixed up your kegs ? is this not the keg you think it is ?

were both kegs put in the fridge at the same time ? or did one age at room temp ?

did you eat something that would change your taste perception ?

Unless I've missed it in the reading, with the second keg did you immediately take it up to a gas disconnect and give the headspace a good flush-burp-flush-burp with CO2 before putting aside? Cornie Keg headspace compared to a bottle is a lot more percentage, if you are filling up to that weld line as most do, so oxidisation could be a candidate.

Back