A Special Squire

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc said:
Weizguy said:
The Speculator was tasted by a few of us (maybe all?) on the pub crawl last week.
Very hoppy. quite bitter and a little chalky in the aftertaste (on my palate). Still quite OK tho, and much, much better than megaswill.
[post="55901"][/post]​

I really enjoyed it. I need to go back with a fresh and clean pallette to give it another try though.
In the Good Living section of the SMH herald today in the Brew section (not online yet) it mentions that it is made with Tasmanian grown hallertau and williamette hops.

Beers,
Doc
[post="56269"][/post]​

Doc/ AHBeers,
On a pedantic note, I recall that we tasted the Speculator, not the Celebrator which would be referred to in the SMH article. IIRC, the Speculator was 5.5% alc.

Seth :p

Had a pint of the Squires Hop Celebrator Ale after work today.
It had a dark amber colour and was very cloudy. I may be totally wrong here but I think I smelt cascade in there. It had a great bitterness to its finish.
I'm crap at reveiws so sorry i cant do any better. I would say it was about 6% as I got a nicehit when I finished the pint.
All up a very nice ber for the lovers of hops.

cheers
johnno

tried the Celebrator at Darling Harbour last night and a perfect ale for hopheads. As Johnno suggested I reckon there was a fair bit of cascade in there. I asked the bar staff, but when I got the response - aren;t they all the same - i didnt bother with a followup question on alcohol content.

also tried their new wheat beer - first fleet wheat. must say i was quite dissapointed and was expecting something like or better than the colonial wheat. in fact it didn;t even taste like a wheat beer - quite bland.

cheers
Roach

First fleet wheat, geez, try saying that after a few... it's as good a name as crackenback ale.

Back