Js Hop Thief Launch Dates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJR

I'm out
Reaction score
No affiliation etc. Just got this from the Malt Shovel newsletter. Should be able to make it down to Darling Harbour on the day to check it out. The beer uses Simcoe and Tomahawk this time.

JAMES SQUIRE HOP THIEF LAUNCHES, COMING TO A CAPITAL CITY NEAR YOU!

Our brewers will be travelling far and wide to shout James Squire Hop Thief to all our beer club members. So, get down to your local launch and enjoy a free glass of Hop Thief on us.

Sydney Hop Thief Launch -
James Squire Brewhouse, 22 The Promenade, King Street Wharf, Sydney
Tuesday 20th March 2007, 5.30pm-6.30pm

Adelaide Hop Thief Launch -
The Wheatsheaf Hotel, 39 George Street, Thebarton
Wednesday 21st March 2007, 6.00pm-7.00pm

Melbourne Hop Thief Launch -
The Portland Hotel, 115 Russell Street, Melbourne
Wednesday 21st March 2007, 5.30pm-6.30pm

Brisbane Hop Thief Launch -
The Regatta Hotel, 543 Coronation Drive, Toowong
Thursday 22nd March 2007, 5.30pm-6.30pm

Hobart Hop Thief Launch -
T42, Ground Level Elizabeth Street Pier, Hobart

Perth Hop Thief Launch -
The Grosvenor Hotel, 339 Hay St, Perth City
Friday 30th March 2007, 6pm-7pm

Brisbane Hop Thief Launch -
The Regatta Hotel, 543 Coronation Drive, Toowong

Reckon you could work this into the German club lunch date Batz? Be another big day:D

Interesting dates for the launch (all next week), as my local had 10 cases arrive today.

I bought a box and as I read in another Hop Thief thread some time ago "Hop Thief? Who stole the hops?".

Can't say I'm very impressed with this beer and wish I had just bought a split case or something, but it's still good, just not what I'd hoped for :)

Oh well, time to get rid of it the only reasonable way :chug: :lol:

PZ.

*edit* - Local is Hawker Drive-Thru (in Hawker, ACT of course) if anyone nearby is interested :beer:

Can't say I'm very impressed with this beer and wish I had just bought a split case or something, but it's still good, just not what I'd hoped for
tell me more. to be honest, i'm not over the moon with JS beers myself.

tell me more.

Well, reading the neck label it states: "Even the malt takes a back seat".

I find it to be far more "balanced" than described...after 7 of them I'm getting used to it, but the JS Golden Ale (one of my favourite session beers) is most certainly far more "hop-driven" than this one.

Anything more and I can't really make serious comment, as I don't have the slightest idea of how to describe these things, except to say that I was expecting a nice hop kick and didn't quite get it. Maybe it could be described as similar to an IPA with a dash of lemon? :huh:

Still a good beer as I stated earlier...and getting better the more intoxicated I become :lol:

PZ.

beers will do that :)

there's something about JS beers that just stop me from buying them
it's like they're nice, but made out of dam water or something
all of them have a kinda funny taste and smell that i just can't get past
massively accentuated by the hand pump at the wheatie to the point where i couldn't finish the beer!

all of them have a kinda funny taste and smell that i just can't get past

Yeah, I will have to agree that there is a similar taste present in most of the JS beers I've purchased, but not a bad thing, just a similarity.

Was it you that I recall metioning has a hatred for POR? If I'm not mistaken all/most JS beers are bittered with it <_<

PZ.

i like the fresh POR in a CPA though.
I just dry-hopped a keg with pride+
I don't think it's that.

I just dry-hopped a keg with pride+
Really?!?! :eek:

I guess it wasn't you then...so hard to keep track of who likes/dislikes what on here :unsure:

Maybe it is just made from dam water then :lol:

PZ.

Brauluver pushed me into it, but yeah, i still think there's better hops out there but I gotta try it for myself.

I'm as bad as many, but isn't it funny how many people enjoy CPA, but won't use POR in their homebrews...

I think James Squire's best beer is their Golden Ale, but also (for reasons I can't properly articulate) that they are unlikely to beat it. Perhaps it's their methods or the dam water - I don't know.

Good night tonight, they had a keg which was promptly devoured by us and the MSB staff. Good to see Leon, beers and the usual MSB crew of Chuck, Rob and co down there.

Good beer too. Definitely better on draught.

Seems the Malt Shovel web site has an error. Possibly their email and the Wheatsheaf hotel do though. The email, as listed above, and the pub's web site both list the event for Adelaide as the 21st but the Malt Shovel web site lists it as the 20th. Hope there is some left when I get there tomorrow.

possibly the email and the website and the Wheatie have an error?
which is right?

possibly the email and the website and the Wheatie have an error?
which is right?
If I was in the know I would certainly inform you. If you read the post and the information I refer to you would realise the Malt Shovel web site quotes one date. The Malt Shovel email and the Wheatsheaf web site quote another. You really should read this stuff for yourself.

I find it to be far more "balanced" than described...after 7 of them I'm getting used to it, but the JS Golden Ale (one of my favourite session beers) is most certainly far more "hop-driven" than this one.

PZ.

not sure im getting what you're saying, but what beer dont you get used to after 7? to me it would mean i am more familiar with the beer, so its easier to pick out the tastes and smells. not a bad thing (unless its a bad beer of course).
just asking cause i really enjoyed the first hop thief and am looking forward to the new version.

for the golden ale, i really enjoyed that but felt it was very well balanced, so i got malt and hops evenly through the beer. cheers.
joe

the word "though" makes no sense. you should have used "as well" or "they're all over the place like a mad woman's sh!t"

PS looking forward to tasting notes Aaron.

not sure im getting what you're saying

Just trying to say that I didn't find it as "hop-driven" as suggested by the labelling, I would have thought that would be obvious by reading what I posted...oops :huh:

I've managed to hold onto 6 of them...might do a re-taste now :chug:

PZ.

Latest posts

Back