Hop Schedule For James Squire Pilsner.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
Went to the James Squire pub on Darling Harbour on Saturday. Had a really tasty Pilsner. My own brew tastes pretty good but can always do with improvement. Can anyone tell me the IBU and Saaz hop schedule that might come close to the JS drop.

Cheers, Hoges.

Motueka (B Saaz) last 5, Cz Saaz off boil (or whatever you blokes call it. Flame out?). BUs in the high twenties.

I haven't had much of the James Squire beers of late but they seem to be back in form. I heard they're all being brewed back at the malt shovel (Camperdown). I had an IPA during the week and it was very nice.

Interesting beer the JS pils, I was served up one yesterday from a stubby without knowing what was. It was fantastic. Not a typical pilsner though. Its malt character is more complex and perhaps a higher finishing gravity? Hops were nice, the saaziness didn't stand out though. It was much more like an ale than a lager.

regards,
Scott

Only Pilsener returned as sales tanked when brewed at Tooheys and then SAB. Read the date codes; they tell you when and where.

Motueka (B Saaz) last 5, Cz Saaz off boil (or whatever you blokes call it. Flame out?). BUs in the high twenties.

My current recipe has the BU's at 36 and the JS seems to be higher than that. I have never heard of a pislner schedule that adds hops only in the last five minutes and at flameout. :huh:

Cheers, Hoges.

My current recipe has the BU's at 36 and the JS seems to be higher than that. I have never heard of a pislner schedule that adds hops only in the last five minutes and at flameout. :huh:

I don't know if MSB do it this way, however some larger breweries mix in isoalpha hop extract after the boil and even after fermentation.

Scott

however some larger breweries mix in isoalpha hop extract after the boil and even after fermentation.
There's nothing like 20 min hop addition in Lagers or pilsners.
I always chuck a handful of noble hops in secondary as well.

Sorry to go :icon_offtopic:
Hope you find an answer Hoges

There was an article in "The Brewer and Distiller" about a year ago that gave some information about the JS beers; they said that the pilsner was bittered to 35 IBU and had a start gravity of just over 12 P.
You have to bear in mind that commercial beers are always a work in progress and that they are getting tweaked all the time to suit market conditions.

From what he hasn't, as what he has said I think Dig might be closer to the source of information in question than the rest of us, I for one arent going to argue with what he has given you to work with.

The bitterness given can be takes to mean a normal bittering hop addition at the start of the boil. When you talk to most brewers they just talk about bittering in IBU's with out bothering to qualify further. It would take an exceptional pallet to work out what was used to bitter any given beer - unless the hop in question was really off the wall, in this beer my first choice would be Northern Brewer, although the brewery could be using anything
The information on the finishing hops is just that, for the finishing hops only.

MHB

And from the Hahn man himself Super Alpha for the initial BU's but he was saying about 15mins for the Motueka, when he was spruiking his wares at the pubs in Perth a few weeks back

Thanks for all the input. I now have some tinkering to do with late additions.

Cheers, Hoges.

I'm doing this from memory now, can't be bothered digging out the recipe, but I think you're right, 32 bu rings a bell but they always add 3 or so BU as tetra at the filter. Ausdb might be right about the timing of the B Saaz too; added at last 15. I'd add it at last 5. CZ saaz gets added to the kettle on transfer to whirlpool. Super A up front. Pretty good general purpose bittering hop.

What tYPe of gravities would they be talking about with this one? OG 1.055 F.G. 1.015?

Back