A Quick Link To An Ebc Colour Chart?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Anyone have a quick link so I can have a look at one? I know they arent totally true when looking at one on a screen.
I bottled my Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale (recipe from Ross in the recipe section) and this thing is pale as..and I mean pale. Never seen a paler beer - especially for an ale. Its more like a lager. In the recipe it states an EBC of 5 - but I dont know what that looks like. Anyone help?
Cheers
Steve

color_chart.png

There you go, it's in lovibond though, so roughly double it for EBC - the real formula is something like 2.6*Lovibond - 1.2 = EBC.

Looking in the recipes section, i'd say that particular recipe should be quite light, not much like the colour of say the JS Golden ale.

color_chart.png

There you go, it's in lovibond though, so roughly double it for EBC - the real formula is something like 2.5*Lovibond - 1.5 = EBC

Looking in the recipes section, i'd say that particular recipe should be quite light, not much like the colour of say the JS Golden ale.

Cheers DJR - its a bees dick off the black line on the left :huh: tasted bloody nice at bottling mind! :D
Cheers
S

Does anybody else have a more detailed beer colour swatch than DJR's?

Im looking for preferably an EBC version with more detail/ spectrum.
Ive looked all though AHB and google, and keep having no luck.

Any help would be great,

Mudsta :beerbang:

Pete,

Thanks for that, :) however thats not quite what I'm looking for.
The link you posted shows the colour bands of particular beer styles graphed against IBU's. :blink:
It needs to have some form of colour scale to compare it against.

What I would like is a full spectrum of beer colours from white to black, calibrated against an EBC scale. (similar to the above SRM scale but ranging all the way to black and with EBC)

EBC_Colour_Swatch.jpg
Here I have attempted to convert the above SRM scale to EBC, but I need one that goes furthur into the black range, i.e. up to 80EBC

Cheers for your help anyway pete,

I think you are not reading Sosman's chart quite right, mudsta. It's not really charting colour against IBUs. It shows the IBU range, gravity range and colour range for each BJCP beer style. It doesn't really help you though as it doesn't show you what range those colours are.

One thing you might want to bear in mind is that the SRM scale and EBC scale are fairly easy to compare now. Halfway down this page. The conversion was more complicated, but now simply multiply SRM by 1.97 and you are there. :D

I'm no help though. Never seen a better colour chart than that one. :( If you see one, please post it for us.

Stuster,

Thanks for your input. Most of the books in my brewers library give calcs for converting EBC/SRM/LOV Etc.

But none give any coloured swatches.... :angry:

I am an undying seeker of beer knowledge, and will hunt down this elusive colour reference chart!!!
And when I do I will be sure to post it to share with all the AHB family.

The conversion has changed in the last few years so anything more than a few years old will have the wrong formula. Aha, in searching for a reference for that, I found a chart for you as well. Click me, click me.

Back