A Question On Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettule

Reaction score
I have a low temp slow fermenting Asahi style brew on the go. Because it's taking it's sweet time to ferment I racked it off the primary fermentors yeast cake to my scondary where I am giving it 2 more weeks. This is the first time I've racked. The pri fermentor had 21lt in it, the sec now has 18lt in it because I didn't tip up the primary at all, I just siphoned off at the tap level. Now that I'm fermenting in my seconday I'm unsure how to go about bulk priming when I'm ready to bottle. Do I rack back into my primary wasting more precious brew and risking oxidisation?

Do I rack back into my primary wasting more precious brew and risking oxidisation?

yep - coil your racking tube in the bottom and rack slowly onto your priming solution. Dont worry about oxidisation - just avoid splashing.
Cheers
Steve

Should I tip up my primary when I'm racking this time to make sure I don't waste any?

Should I tip up my primary when I'm racking this time to make sure I don't waste any?

Yep - gently tip it up from the back and get as much wort out as possible, I normally stop when the yeast/sludge is just about to flow into the tap.
Cheers
Steev

Thanks a lot. I just have to rush the Coopers supermarket kit out of my primary fermentor now :) that shouldn't be too hard.

Back