A Plea From Murray's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
CRAFT BEER ALERT FROM MURRAYS
We Need Urgent Assistance!

Before I get to the point, I need to tell you a little story about pubs and their beer taps.

Its almost impossible for a small craft brewer to secure a tap at a Sydney pub! This, unfortunately, is a fact of life, and one that the two macro monopoly brewers in Australia would like to continue.

No matter what publicans say, the big breweries spend millions of dollars every year ensuring that the ordinary punter cannot get a choice of what they want to drink on tap at their local pub or club.

If its not long-term contracts, its ultra cheap beer deals to ensure that the millions of dollars of profits these bland beer monopolists make every year are protected and that publicans are almost never tempted to give a small brewer a go, and a chance to get a craft beer on tap.

We talk to publicans every day and the standard response is that nobody knows your beer, so it wont sell; or we can buy Tooheys New for a cheaper price!

Never mind the fact that the ingredients in our brews are a lot more expensive, or that our audience might be smaller. But no less important, these are not things your average publican gives a stuff about. They think everyone drinks Tooheys New or Carlton Draught, and if they really want choice, then have a VB Mid Strength or Pure Blonde on tap as well!

Sure there are lots of drinkers with brand loyalty to bland beers. But quite frankly, the world is passing them by. There is a whole new band of consumers (YOU!) are looking for a beer which is not mass produced, is full flavoured, and they dont mind paying for it.

This leads me to the purpose of this email. We need your help!

Murrays has convinced The Sackville Hotel at Balmain to put our Sassy Belgian Blond on tap as a trial for one month. This is a good, and potentially bad thing depending on how you look at it. In my opinion, its a very interesting beer and one of a style not normally seen in Australia. As such, nobody knows much about it, and no matter how good it is, and how many medals its already won, if it doesnt sell, its going to get the heave-ho after a couple of weeks and another opportunity for bland beer in Australia will be lost.

Granted, its the middle of winter and not really beer weather, but I implore those of you who physically can PLEASE GO TO THE SACKVILLE AT BALMAIN OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS AND BUY A MURRAYS SASSY BELGIAN BLOND ON TAP. SHOW THESE PUBLICANS THAT WE CRAFT BEER LOVERS AS A MARKET ARE WORTH CULTIVATING!

The Sackville Hotel
599 Darling Street
Rozelle NSW 2039
Tel: 02 9555 7555

Its my dream to see craft beer on tap in every hotel in Australia, and if its not a Murrays beer, thats fine. It doesnt have to be. Its not about the money either. If we sell a couple of kegs at The Sackville this month it wont make or break us. But by supporting our beer you will be helping me make the point that we, as consumers, want a choice and are prepared to support venues that buck the norm and are prepared to give the little guy a go!

Cheers and thank you,

Murray

I think this calls for another TEAM AHB visit to the Balmain area

It is a sad fact of life that the big boys control everything

When it comes to pub taps, the breweries, in a lot of cases, put them in ( sponsor ), then the publican is contracted to only use their beer in those taps. When Coopers where expanding in NSW, they had to put their own taps in, because the other breweries would not allow the publican to put Coopers thru their taps.

It a neat way keeping other breweries out of the market without it being illegal

How about 4th of August starting late afternoon, like 4pm or something with a dinner along the way and a side trip to the Royal Oak and or Monkey Bar?

A more worthy cause does not exist!

My hat's off to Murrays for trying to tackle this big problem. If I wasn't stuck in Townsville, I would guarantee I would be at the Sackville for 3 or 4 times during the month.

I strongly encourage any AHBer to get themselves down there and stick up for craft beers!!!

Berp.

I just called the Sackville and they have it on tap NOW. Time to get on the 501 bus from Pyrmont for a couple of lunchtime beers...

The Missus has deemed this a worthy cause also and we will be dining and drinking at the Sackville this saturday night..Woohooo :chug:

Good onya's boys
Have one for me too, I cant make it to sydney (only actually go there to get to the airport :ph34r: ), but the more craft beers on tap anywhere, that it getting drunk, can only be a good thing for the long term beer market. Full points to Murrays for taking this on.
While ya's are there, harrass the publican into getting some kegs of Icon I2PA next time! :D
All the best
Trent

Murrays has convinced The Sackville Hotel at Balmain to put our Sassy Belgian Blond on tap as a trial for one month.

I'll be up in Sydney next weekend so I'll drop in there and have a pint. Love my Belgian Blondes too so good choice ;)

More micro beers for the CBD! As much as I'd like to help, getting to Balmain then home to Bulli is a bit too much for me. I'll have to make do with the Macquarie on Wentworth St, the Pumphouse, Australian, The Lord Nelson, Equilibrium, etc.

Has it by any chance bumped another Micro off the tap list at The Sackville ?
When we were all there for the AHB Big Day out they had Crackenback Pale Ale on tap, and it was fantastic (they had over hopped that batch a little).

Doc

Won't be able to make it to Balmain, but wanted to support your cause and well worded pasionate plea. I hope that sentiment is widespread across the AHB community.

Oh, to own a pub in Sydney...

Fling the frick'n pokies out the front door, tell the Fosters man to stuff his flooded font up his fetid freckle. Cram the joint with micros.

Good luck Murray and the team. I hope to see you still on tap when next I'm in my old Sydney town.

My hat's off to Murrays for trying to tackle this big problem. If I wasn't stuck in Townsville, I would guarantee I would be at the Sackville for 3 or 4 times during the month.

And if I had currency to burn, I'd fly over and do my best to drink them out in a weekend.

Its my dream to see craft beer on tap in every hotel in Australia, and if its not a Murrays beer, thats fine. Cheers and thank you,

Murray

I agree, and it's up to us as beer lovers to support the hotels that are willing to give them a go. The local Sunshine Coast Brewery beers are making inroads here finally, due to good beer thanks to the new brewer and a lot of behind the scenes work. :super:

The concept of a "Free House" doesn't seem to exist in Australia. Surely it would be a winner?

Most (all?) capital cities have a Belgian style pub. When I go to the one in Perth, it's always packed and people are enjoying Leffe and Chimay despite being able to buy four rounds of macro for the same price at any one of a dozen pubs close by. I'm convinced that plenty of people would support craft brews in the same manner.

I remember when Matilda Bay first started. In an era when macros were even more dominant than now, they soon had queues out the door so people could sample their 'strange' wares. If our palates and wallets were ready in the mid-80s, they're sure as hell ready now!

Ultimately, the market is driven by the consumers, not the producers. Keep converting your mates, keep supporting the craft brewers and keep spreading the word right here!

Now fetch me a ladder so I can climb down off this soap-box...........

:p The Murrays Blonde was very nice on saturday night and each time I ordered it a punter next to me would say "whats that like?" "Is it Australian?" Despite there being a picture of a Kangaroo on the tap?? The barmaid would patiently explain and the punter would leave the bar with his New looking confused. On the down side it looks like the Crakenback was shunted but still available in bottles. I would have rathered they ditch the Asahi or one of the other lagers....

Most (all?) capital cities have a Belgian style pub. When I go to the one in Perth, it's always packed and people are enjoying Leffe and Chimay despite being able to buy four rounds of macro for the same price at any one of a dozen pubs close by. I'm convinced that plenty of people would support craft brews in the same manner.

Have a look who owns the Belgian Beer Cafes in Aus. Far from a Free House!

Is it still there 02/08?

I actually have a free pass to be in the area and not working tonight!!

Has it by any chance bumped another Micro off the tap list at The Sackville ?
When we were all there for the AHB Big Day out they had Crackenback Pale Ale on tap, and it was fantastic (they had over hopped that batch a little).

Doc

Mmmm, does Snowy Mountains really qualify as a micro??? B) Independant perhaps..........

Back