A method for harvesting weak bottle conditioned yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
niels said:
I almost use the same technique, but instead of making a bit of starter wort to fill up the bottle I simply open up a small box of apple juice (20 cl) and pour that in the bottle. I give it a good swirl, put a balloon over the "neck" and set it on top of my set top box (which is always in de low 30°C).

In most cases the balloon will be erected after 24~36 hours and I will pour it into an erlenmeyer with starter wort and put it on the stirr plate.

Never had a failure except for one time I was growing bacteria instead of yeast (it smelled like the worst cheese you can imagine!).

Niels
any reason, apart from ease, for using apple juice rather than wort?

fletcher said:
any reason, apart from ease, for using apple juice rather than wort?
It is a common usage in Belgium/The Netherlands.

Pros:
1) very easy sugars to get the yeast going
2) apple juice is about the right gravity
3) boxed apple juice is sterile
4) quick and easy

Except for reason 1, they are all because of the ease of use. If you sanitize the scissors (flame/alcohol) and the little juice box, you're ready to go in minutes. You could do this "off site" :)
Sometimes I drink a beer late at night and have am impulse decision to harvest the yeast. This way it can be done almost every time if I didn't ran out of juice boxes.

Niels

Brilliant thread! Niels, are you just using any old normal balloon?

niels said:
I almost use the same technique, but instead of making a bit of starter wort to fill up the bottle I simply open up a small box of apple juice (20 cl) and pour that in the bottle. I give it a good swirl, put a balloon over the "neck" and set it on top of my set top box (which is always in de low 30°C).

In most cases the balloon will be erected after 24~36 hours and I will pour it into an erlenmeyer with starter wort and put it on the stirr plate.

Never had a failure except for one time I was growing bacteria instead of yeast (it smelled like the worst cheese you can imagine!).

Niels

A picture says it all:
617d2a1eef0a11e2a6b722000a1fc7c5_6.jpg

I sterialize the balloon by soaking it in sanitizer.

Niels

lael said:
Brilliant thread! Niels, are you just using any old normal balloon?

Sorry for the newbie questions to follow but im about to try this method for the first time as i have always used packet yeast without an issue, but want to now expand on my brewing knowledge(or lack of it) and just want to know :

1. After steping up to the 1 Ltr how long do you leave it there before brewday and can this be storred in the fridge?

2. If i dont have a stirplate will that matter? or is there another option?

3. do i pour this straight into the fermenter or is there another process first?

4. how much of the 1 Ltr do you add to a single batch(20 - 23ltrs in ferementer)?

cheers

Westo

Westo said:
Sorry for the newbie questions to follow but im about to try this method for the first time as i have always used packet yeast without an issue, but want to now expand on my brewing knowledge(or lack of it) and just want to know :

1. After steping up to the 1 Ltr how long do you leave it there before brewday and can this be storred in the fridge?

3. do i pour this straight into the fermenter or is there another process first?

4. how much of the 1 Ltr do you add to a single batch(20 - 23ltrs in ferementer)?

cheers

Westo
1) I store my yeast starters in the fridge for a few days (2~3) and pull it out the morning of brewing. The yeast will be sunk to the bottom of the flask and I pour of the young beer on top of it. I then pour about 250~300ml of (room temperature) wort (SG 1040) onto it. Swirl is gently and put an air lock on it. When it's time to pitch the yeast the starter is fully active and is ready to eat those sugars!
2) If you have no stir plate, simply shake/swirl the vessel every time you pass it. This will help with aeriation too.
3) See my answer to point 1. But I want to repeat this: pour off the young beer from your starter! I know a lot of people don't do it, but taste it and you know why you don't want that in your beer! The little bit of wort I added on the morning of the brew day will be added to the fresh wort, of course. You need some liquid to bring the yeast back in suspension and pour it handy.
4) I take about 10% as a rule of thumb. So for a 20L batch I make a starter of about 2L.

Hope this helps.

Smell your yeast starter before using. The one I wanted to use last Sunday smelled a bit funny (old cheese) and I didn't use it after all. I used some packets of US-05 instead. Better safe than sorry.

Niels

PS: Every brewer has his/her own way of doing things. Always try the method you think you feel comfortable with and keep some dry yeasts packs in your fridge for backup. There is no ONE way to do it, there is only YOUR way (as long as it is sterile of course)!

Westo said:

cheers

Westo
1. Opinion varies - but people normally either: crash chill (put in fridge) at 'high krausen' - when you get a nice fluffy layer of yeast. or after it has fermented out (in a starter - about 3 days).
2. Stirplate = large yeast growth. For harvesting - yeah, it's worth it.
3. crash chill 24-36 hrs before. 5 hours before - pull it out of fridge, pour off most of the wort on top, without losing the pale yeast sitting on the bottom of the flask/ container. swirl the remainder and let it warm back up to room temp before pitching. as per normal... keep everything sanitary
4. pitch the slurry, not the wort from the starter.

edit: beat by niels! - same method it sounds like.

Westo said:

cheers

Westo
dunno what's been happening with email alerts but just got it.
my advise (but i have been called a fool by many so take my advise with a grain of chook shit but it works for me)

1- as long as needed but the longer you wait the more the viability goes down. keeping in fridge will keep viability higher longer than on the shelf.

2- without a stirplate you will get less growth. unfortunately alot less. so the more you can stir it the better. check out - http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/ and play with the differences between stirplate and shaking.

3- i have (and many others) poured the whole starter in without any noticeable negative taste. But if you can chill the starter and let the yeast settle then pour off the "beer" leaving only enough to stir it up and add only that. up to you but i dont bother.

4- see my original post and check out the calc i linked above about cell counts. i cant talk for a single batch as i dont do them but 1 litre "feels" like enough to me without doing the calc.

sorry i didn't get the email reminder the topic was still active or i would've responded.

thanks guys looking forward to giving it a try.

Don Runk said:
sorry i didn't get the email reminder the topic was still active or i would've responded.
Its all good :beerbang:

this has worked well for me first go! I want to try a dead guy ale next, get some Pacman.

what is everyone's favourite beer to harvest from?

Syicksy so glad it worked for you. It opens up a whole new world pacman is great and try sierra nevada hefeweizen also!

sticksy said:
this has worked well for me first go! I want to try a dead guy ale next, get some Pacman.

what is everyone's favourite beer to harvest from?
Westmalle (if you can get it) is pretty easy to harvest and is a very nice yeast! Also: Chimay, Rochefort and La Chouffe.

Niels

Latest posts

Back