A man, his wife and their toddler go to NZ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraser's BRB

Reaction score
As per the topic, me, SWMBO and the threenager are going to the South Island of NZ for a few weeks.

We're hiring a campervan and keeping plans relatively loose with the goal of seeing as much as possible in the time allotted. We have 3 days in Queenstown for a wedding and three days in Christchurch before we leave, other than that, cover territory, see the sights, consume the local produce.

To that end, brewery recommendations?

I've been looking at this website http://www.beertourist.co.nz/index.html and it has heaps of options, but that's part of the problem, too many options not enough time. In and around Nelson alone there's about 10 different breweries, the mouth waters but the mind boggles at how we fit it all in.

So, if anyone has any personal experience at a brewery or craft pub of note it would be great to hear.

I've been impressed with a number of Tuatara beers, so I'd probably want to visit them.

I also had a ParrotDog Imperial Red IPA in the last few days and would love to personally thank the brewery for such an excellent drop (and try it fresh!)

And of course the Garage Project has turned out some interesting stuff and it sounds like a place to visit.

I think all of those are either in or within driving distance of Wellington, which is at the sound end of the north island :-(

peteru said:
I've been impressed with a number of Tuatara beers, so I'd probably want to visit them.

I also had a ParrotDog Imperial Red IPA in the last few days and would love to personally thank the brewery for such an excellent drop (and try it fresh!)

And of course the Garage Project has turned out some interesting stuff and it sounds like a place to visit.

I think all of those are either in or within driving distance of Wellington, which is at the sound end of the north island :-(
Yep, Garage Project is one of my favourites and enjoy Tuatara also, but North Island. No good on this occasion.

When you're done with stinky breweries, try and squeeze in Tai Poutini National Park on the west coast and check out Fox glacier, or a bit further along, book a day cruise on Milford sound.
They're simply breathtaking. Better still, pack vans fridge with different flavored local beer and get your missus to drive whilst you kick back and take in the spectacular countryside. Pretty much my idea of road trip bliss is that.

Wanaka (bout 60ks?) from Queenstown has a little brewery might be worth a look. http://www.wanakabeerworks.co.nz/home

Dunedin is the go for Emerson's and Speights (both Lion breweries but still worth the effort, Dunedin is a good little town bit like a mini Melbourne). Speights in particular has a lot of history and an interesting tour (some beers that we can't get in Aussie).

Monteiths over at Greymouth I've wanted to get across to but haven't made it yet, can't comment on that one.

Have a great trip!

Dave70 said:
When you're done with stinky breweries, try and squeeze in Tai Poutini National Park on the west coast and check out Fox glacier, or a bit further along, book a day cruise on Milford sound.
They're simply breathtaking. Better still, pack vans fridge with different flavored local beer and get your missus to drive whilst you kick back and take in the spectacular countryside. Pretty much my idea of road trip bliss is that.
We'll be doing the west coast and Fox definitely, we'll give Milford Sound a miss as we've both done it before via helicopter from Queenstown and it's a long way out of the way by car.

Sadly, since I started brewing the missus has developed an appreciation for beer, so the road trip idea won't likely fly.

good4whatAlesU said:
Wanaka (bout 60ks?) from Queenstown has a little brewery might be worth a look. http://www.wanakabeerworks.co.nz/home

Dunedin is the go for Emerson's and Speights (both Lion breweries but still worth the effort, Dunedin is a good little town bit like a mini Melbourne). Speights in particular has a lot of history and an interesting tour (some beers that we can't get in Aussie).

Monteiths over at Greymouth I've wanted to get across to but haven't made it yet, can't comment on that one.

Have a great trip!
We'll be driving through Wanaka, so that's a good tip. We'll also be around Greymouth, didn't realise Monteiths was over there, but I do enjoy their beers.

Dunedin was a bit of a question mark, might have to look into it.

If I remember correctly it was Wanaka Beerworks that were broken into a couple of years ago. The bloke who broke in was drunk and looking for more beers he cracked open one of their vessels which spilled 10000 litres of precious beer all over the brewery and he was found fast asleep still there in the morning.

If your in Nelson do yourself a favour and drop into the free house for a couple. Probably the best pub I've been to. Great beer.
While down Queenstown way check out Arrowtown. Not far away. Good little pub called The Fork'n Tap. Try the Emersons porter on the hand pump. Delicious.
Monteiths in Greymouth worth a stop. Only a small batch brewery now as I think they moved main brewing operation to Auckland.

Brownsworthy said:
If I remember correctly it was Wanaka Beerworks that were broken into a couple of years ago. The bloke who broke in was drunk and looking for more beers he cracked open one of their vessels which spilled 10000 litres of precious beer all over the brewery and he was found fast asleep still there in the morning.
Gold. That's right up there with the politician who got hit in the face with a dildo over there not long ago in cracking NZ stories.

Liam_snorkel said:
I haven't been yet, but am planning a trip next year and have asked some mates for recommendations. I'll be following this thread with interest!

Steamer Basin in Dunedin does some interesting stuff, farmhouse styles etc:
http://www.steamerbasin.co.nz/
Christ, those seasonals alone would make flying over with Tigerair worth it.
Almost.

Liam_snorkel said:
I haven't been yet, but am planning a trip next year and have asked some mates for recommendations. I'll be following this thread with interest!

Steamer Basin in Dunedin does some interesting stuff, farmhouse styles etc:
http://www.steamerbasin.co.nz/

and Craftwork in Oamaru (between dunedin & christchurch) allegedly nail a bunch of Belgian styles:
http://www.craftworkbrewery.co.nz/
These excite me.

Currently on a road trip in nz myself. Only just started but I did pop into Monteith's for a quick beer and lunch yesterday. Had to be quick cause our train was delayed and we had to drive down to Franz Josef. Wish I could have stayed longer, nice establishment, good beer, and friendly staff. I had the velvet stout there which was great. Grabbed a few takeaways and an now drinking the imperial pilsner which I also recommend.

Just looking up Wanaka beer works for tomorrow... Seems like they are closed Saturdays... Strangest thing I've seen in a while.

Rambo said:
Just looking up Wanaka beer works for tomorrow... Seems like they are closed Saturdays... Strangest thing I've seen in a while.
Some religious orders dictate Saturday as a mandatory knock-off day. :p

I did the speights tour in Dunedin which I loved the history. Then try a pint of speights at the ale house next to the brewery fresh out of the tank. Good times!

Pm me so I see it tomorrow when I'm sober. Did the South Island in a camper van with two teenagers. Heaps of tips for you.

Latest posts

Back