A Live Guide To Brewing Sake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamt

Too busy (lazy) to brew.
Reaction score
I've been researching the last couple of months on sake brewing. It's something I've been interested in for a while, I have a couple of friends that drink it and they are encouraging me, so why not?

I googled quite a lot of results regarding sake brewing, most that make it look much easier than it should be. From a few good sites I've developed a recipe and brewing schedule/plan. The whole process takes about 7-8 weeks, a whole load of steps, a bit of forward planning and patience. However, it actually turns out to be very cheap; the ingredients for my first batch (10L, 20%ABV) should cost me about $20.

I'm going to update my blog with what I'm doing and hopefully afterwards I will publish a bit of a guide with pictures, etc.

Currently there is a big spiel of an introduction to sake which hopefully some people may find interesting.

Cheers
Adam

PS: I've posted this under the AG section as it is all-grain (rice) brewing, and the long, involved process I will be doing is more suited to those AG brewers with the patience and dedication to producing quality product.

I'll be watching this very closely

I've been thinking about making sake for a long time

Very interesting article in your blog

And it'll be great to hear about how your process goes and any tips

And how the final product comes out

Cheers

Will also be watching with great interest.

Just one question Adamt - had you thought of using the WYeast Sake #9 variety, instead of S-189 ?
Having never made the stuff myself, I have no idea what difference this would make, and S-189 is particularly good in beer, though Sake might require a different strain.

Ross has this Wyeast for under $10 FWIW...

Hutch: I have thought about it, not looked at it yet though.

It does look the goods though as it has the right nutrients and is a proper sake strain. If Beerbelly has the Wyeast sake (I think he told me he did at the case swap... not sure :rolleyes: ) I will be picking that up, otherwise S-189 will do it for me.

I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference anyway :)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

You have actually tasted Sake haven't you ? <_<

I wasn't a big fan of beer when I thought all beer tasted like VB :)

bookmarked. freaky, i was just today looking into brewing sake. weird :p

Wow! It's Sake [sa.kɛ] time!

I asked Jye about it at the swap and he sent me a couple of links Sake process is one of them with a downloadable PDF.

Then when Ross posted the 'Craftbrewer Goes Liquid' site and mentioned Sake yeast... well it was surely a sign!

Adam, I'll watch you blog eagerly.

Cheers,

Sean

That "Taylor Made" link is brilliant, that's where I got the recipe and base process from.

I may bring some up for the Xmas swap if I make it up there!

I wasn't a big fan of beer when I thought all beer tasted like VB :)

So you're saying I shouldn't put much faith in the sake served at a Japanese restaurant selling such quality Japanese lagers like Sapporo and Ashai ? :lol:

Wyeast Sake #9 kicks butt, foams up like crazy.

But no matter what method I try my sake always ends up with a yellow tinge. I found out this can be clean up by charcoal filtering though.

Yes, I have made it at home before with reasonable success - mine tended to stay milky though from memory.
I got my koji from another brewer but unfortunately it had a mild infection of some mould or wild yeast that turned the rice orange and the sake, well, slightly that colour.

I must try it again.

Yes, I have made it at home before with reasonable success - mine tended to stay milky though from memory.
I got my koji from another brewer but unfortunately it had a mild infection of some mould or wild yeast that turned the rice orange and the sake, well, slightly that colour.

I must try it again.

Rather than mucking about trying to innoculate the rice yourself it's a lot easier to just buy it pre-malted, especially for a beginner. In Melbourne buy it from Fuji-mart next to Prahran Market, or Tokyo Deli on Glenhuntly Rd in Elsternwick used to sell it too. Look in the freezer or ask the assistant for simply 'koji'. In Sydney you can try Fuji-Mart's sister store, Tokyo-Mart.

kouji1.jpg

kouji2.jpg

kouji3.jpg

I would love to use premade koji, but I couldn't find it anywhere locally (or online), and believe me I looked everywhere!

I second that - though I must go back into the Central Market/Chinatown and try some of the newer Japanese and Korean groceries and see what they come up with. Certainly the Japanese sections of the other Asian groceries don't have it.

Still, it can't be harder than cultivating yeast, no? Either way, I shall find out in a few days :)

I would be very interested if you manage to find it in Adelaide.

Still, it can't be harder than cultivating yeast, no? Either way, I shall find out in a few days :)

The things you need to take note of are:

- Steaming the rice 'just right', so the grains are rubbery but not too soft, mushy or sticky
- Keeping it sterile, very easy to get some unwanted nasties growing on it.
- Humidity control is also important or the koji spores will go soggy and it then it just goes to a mouldy mush if you aren't careful, it needs to breath.
- Stopping growth at the right point

The packs were $7 for 200gms, and you'll need 2 packs to make 3 finished litres of sake.

Have a look at the below site. It's all in Japanese but if you just click around on the pics, it's quite interesting.

http://www.ajiwai.com/otoko/make/kouj_fr.htm

I would be very interested if you manage to find it in Adelaide.

These guys are probably you best bet online in Australia:

http://www.ichibajunction.com.au

They are one of the main Japanese food importers and distributors. I couldn't find it on their website but who knows, they may be able to help if you ask and want to order a few packs? Only thing is it's a frozen product so they are particular about the courier methods they use for those.

$7 for 200g? Ouch.. I'm attempting to make over 1kg tomorrow for less than that price... Now you have me nervous :(

Edit: Complete the sentence, Adam.

Latest posts

Back