A Little Smokin Sunday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
Four kg's of chorizo;
three slabs of salted pork belly (bacon);
one blade roast &
three chicken breasts.

A full day of smoking meat.

Just got the first 1.5kg of chorizo out and it is sensational!

SundaySmokeFest56.JPG

SundaySmokeFest57.JPG

SundaySmokeFest58.JPG

mmm, yum, how long will the meat last in the fridge ?

mmm, yum, how long will the meat last in the fridge ?

Chorizos are cut up into four inch lengths and vacuum sealed in packs of four, one for my wife and I each morning for brekky on a weekend.

Bacon the same, sliced up and vacuum sealed into strips of about 8, two weekends worth.

Chicken each breast is sliced and vacuum sealed, one pack per week for lunch meat.

The beef roast will be shredded and used over the next three nights for dinner, BBQ sauce tonight on kaiser buns with coleslaw and baked beans on the side and then the remains into a slow cooker with taco or burrito seasoning.

All vacuum bags go into the freezer. So today's effort will result in at least two months of tasty weekend brekkies!

Yum.

Four kg's of chorizo;
three slabs of salted pork belly (bacon);
one blade roast &
three chicken breasts.

A full day of smoking meat.

Just got the first 1.5kg of chorizo out and it is sensational!
Is the smoker some thing you have made or an off the shelf number?
Cheers
Chris

Smoker and chorizo spices come from Misty Gully. Missus bought me the smoker for my birthday as I kept saying I was going to make one and never got around to it.

Chorizo spice mix is a nice blend, have had better, but it is good and flavoursome without being too spicey. You HAVE to let the sausage rest for 24 hours to let the meat soak up the spice blend before cooking/smoking it, otherwise it tastes too salty.

Smoker and chorizo spices come from Misty Gully. Missus bought me the smoker for my birthday as I kept saying I was going to make one and never got around to it.

Chorizo spice mix is a nice blend, have had better, but it is good and flavoursome without being too spicey. You HAVE to let the sausage rest for 24 hours to let the meat soak up the spice blend before cooking/smoking it, otherwise it tastes too salty.
Thanks Fraser, I am keen to get into smoking and have been looking at the Bradley setups but balking at the price. Haven't seen Misty Gully sight before.
Will have ti do a bit of research.

Whats the unit like to use?

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Fraser, I am keen to get into smoking and have been looking at the Bradley setups but balking at the price. Haven't seen Misty Gully sight before.
Will have ti do a bit of research.

Whats the unit like to use?

Cheers
Chris

I'd rather a charcoal or firebox driven unit, the electric is OK, hard to control smoke level. Temperature control is perfect, but at 75c, it does not generate enough smoke.

Hi all,

I just bought a Hark gas fired smoker for $288 delivered to WA. That was a very good price, the next best for the same unit was $299 + $38 deliver to Perth. I'm going to season it Friday night and then do some brisket Saturday. Anyone recommend a good chip supplier? I've used the Jack Daniels pellets in a smoke box on the BBQ and flavour wise they're pretty good.

cheers

Patrick.

misty gullys pretty good. other than that maybe this guy over in perth can point you in the right direction.
http://www.urbangriller.com/Griller_Shop.html
tell him barls sent you his way.

john ive got the rebadged hark and im finding the same thing. i just cant get the smoke in there as intense as i like. was planning on smoking on the weekend just gone but it pissed down.
you could always ask questions about your unit over here.
http://aussiebbq.info/forum/index.php

Anyone recommend a good chip supplier?

It's coming up to fruit tree pruning season, so spread the word and make sure you collect up some of the offcuts for drying. Won't help you now, but it will help a few months down the track.

Other than that, I've used chips from BBQ Galore (they were alright, not great) and Bunnings (hickory chips were really nice). Or you can dry your spent grain, mix it 60:40 with uncooked rice and smoke with that? I've tasted the results from someone who does that and it's pretty damn fine!

Try adding some herbs (rosemary) or spices (cinnamon, star anise, cardamon pods) for an extra interesting flavour.

If you have room in the smoker, put in some peeled hard boiled eggs as they are delicious smoked. Or some cheese, delicious also. If I have any room left over, I always smoke some salt or chilli, which is great in cooking.

If you have room in the smoker, put in some peeled hard boiled eggs as they are delicious smoked. Or some cheese, delicious also. If I have any room left over, I always smoke some salt or chilli, which is great in cooking.

boiled eggs... man im so turned on right now. I must be asian on the inside as i luurrrrrve soy sauce/tea egg. :icon_drool2:

Also dont forget the nuts. a cheap pack of mixed nuts from the suermarket/spice grocer for 1/2 hour. delicious :icon_cheers:

Melaluca (tea tree) is great for smoking, a free resource, just trim a few branches and use em dry or green. Smoked salt is tops, it makes anything into a smoked meal. Just toss a bit into your peas even for a campfire meal at home.

Smoked cheese is also good if you have good temp control in a cold smoker.

Oh yeh, sorry, should have mentioned that I was talking cold smoking. I assume all the other things mentioned (aside from cheese) would work in a hot smoker.

The chorizo looks AWESOME :icon_drool2: I remember getting a smaller chorizo once (about half the size of that) and I was pretty much licking the BBQ plate afterwards it was so good haha

Has anyone added some hops to their sawdust/woodchips?

I've seen some threads on the UK/US forums about smoking grain with hops, but it was just deemed an expensive way to smoke things. Having said that, as so many people are growing their own hops these days, it could be a much cheaper option. I have some hops in the freezer, and am smoking some bacon on Sunday, so I might give it a go!

Back