A Little Shortcut

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
The one thing that I have always hated in homebrewing is the bottle washing & rinsing thing (No kegging system yet). :(
In the interests of good hygiene I always clean out my tallies in warm water with a bottle brush & then rinse before sticking them in the dishwasher to sterilise.
I made up a little bottle rinser a long time ago & I must say that it has saved me a lot of time over the years. Posting this in the hope that it might save a lot of other AHB'ers a bit of work & thus adding additional drinking time.
Rinser holds 10 tallies at a time & is constructed out of (amongst other things) irrigation odds & ends.
30 tallies take about 7-8 minutes to rinse throughly.
Does anyone else have something similar or something else that will help cut a hole in this boring time-consuming job?

Couldn't resist using my Crissy present camera. :D
Hope this helps someone out there?

:beer:

Screwtop said:
What a great idea Pete!
[post="103901"][/post]​

Screwtop,
Not really my idea but I have had it a long time.
Off-topic I know, but PM me if you can help me get a (cheap) 12v windscreen wiper motor.

Tidal Pete

Try the wreckers. Look for a pump that is capable of being pulled apart for cleaning purposes, ie older model cars.

Cheers

Steve

wally said:
Tidalpete,

I like the look of your bottle washer.

What do you do for sanitising in the dishwasher?

Wally.
[post="103910"][/post]​

Wal,
All I do is put the tallies in the racks with no detergent. The bottles have already been cleaned & rinsed. The object is to sterilise, not clean.
Turn on the dishwasher & bingo! (In an hour anyway) It's done & sterilised.

TidalPete said:
Screwtop said:
What a great idea Pete!
[post="103901"][/post]​

Off-topic I know, but PM me if you can help me get a (cheap) 12v windscreen wiper motor.

[post="103904"][/post]​

I got mine off a wreck at the tip , it's only 3 bolts.
Have one off in around two minutes !

Batz

TP,
You could make a bigger version of your bottle washer and hook all your bottles upto it at once.
Then you could pump no rinse sanitiser through them and clean/sanitise in minutes.

cheers
Darren

i was thinking of modding an old dishwasher to do just that

why not my old man has modded one to wash engine cases

Batz said:
TidalPete said:
Screwtop said:
What a great idea Pete!
[post="103901"][/post]​

[post="103904"][/post]​

I got mine off a wreck at the tip , it's only 3 bolts.
Have one off in around two minutes !

Batz
[post="103942"][/post]​

The local dump has armed guards (not to mention security fences) here Batz :( but I suppose the security isn't quite as tight out your way? :blink:
The local white pointer at the nearest wreckers wanted me to mortage the house.
This is still off-topic.

I made a single sterilizer.W/Washer motor,plastic sponge cake gizmo(the one that makes the hole in the cake) micro switch,bit of plastic hose,garden riser & top,extra basin to suit if necessary,12v plug pack.
Plumbed her up n works O K.
Cheers
PJ

So no one's worried about the grease and cr*p coming past the shaft seal ? Was just curious.

TidalPete here is a pic of my bottle washer i bought about 10 years ago still works fine holds 30 bottles and dispences steraliser i use a water timer set to 3-4 minutes
cheers
dirk

TidalPete here is a pic of my bottle washer i bought about 10 years ago still works fine holds 30 bottles and dispences steraliser i use a water timer set to 3-4 minutes
cheers
dirk

View attachment SV500019.JPG

SV500019.JPG

dirk said:
cheers
dirk
[post="104120"][/post]​

Never seen one of those in this neck of the woods Dirk. Looks like the beez kneez to me. Leaves my little home-made jobby (12 years & counting) for dead.
Are they still available??????

Tidalpete i got the bottle washer from southern home brew in aspendale in victoria but never seen one anywhere since
should be easy enough to build though if you are interested in copying i could take more photos and give you advice if you need it

its just made out of pvc waterpipe using the same sort of sprinklers that you are using

cheers
dirk

Back