A Guide To All-grain Brewing In A Bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never found a home brew shop owner that is respectful of online forums and the ideas that come from them. Whenever I try and discuss an idea that I have got from AHB they schoff and sneer.

Coodgee said:
was up in Townsville earlier in the year and stopped into a HB shop there. "let me show you this new method mate, it's called brew in a bag". I said I had I new all about it and he replied " I don't think so mate, this is brand new". I was just thinking to myself that it was being done on here by PP more than 10 years ago!!
Townsville...so up with the times.

Shoulda shown him the posts from a few years ago and see if he tried to backpeddle.

I find some/most retail home brew shops don't know much about AG at all, and why would they, there is not a lot of dollars in it for them. They seem to be finding more profit in spirit cordials if you look at the movements in product range over the years.

Waratah67 said:
I have never found a home brew shop owner that is respectful of online forums and the ideas that come from them. Whenever I try and discuss an idea that I have got from AHB they schoff and sneer.
Don't know if I can say this, but **** em. There is so much information on here it's beyond ridiculous. And everyone is willing to make everyone a better brewer without smart ass comments and snide remarks. It's quite refreshing because I've been through mini truck forums, car forums, body building forums. This one is by far the best

I agree about the lack of home brew shops wanting to have anything to do with all grain. I've been into a couple that just say that all grain is too much trouble and I should just stick to buying their extract.

I've since found The Barley Man locally and they have been great. Plenty of advice and knowledge of grains.

Coodgee said:
was up in Townsville earlier in the year and stopped into a HB shop there. "let me show you this new method mate, it's called brew in a bag". I said I had I new all about it and he replied " I don't think so mate, this is brand new". I was just thinking to myself that it was being done on here by PP more than 10 years ago!!
Hey there fella ;). Wow, it's been such a long time since we had a beer! Great to see you are still into it and haven't forgotten the humble beginnings :beer: .
I'm having a bit of a writing break atm after having written over four million words between this site and BIABrewer.info, not to mention the work on the BIABacus etc., :blink:. Am hoping the break will re-energise my brain enough to push some of these post-BIAB breakthroughs over the hill and into a lot more brewer's arms.

Many thanks for the mention Coodgee.
;)
Pat

Waratah67 said:
Thats a shame to hear. On a daily basis (usually multiple times) I refer to AHB and BIABrewer to new brewers that want to get into AG. I learnt everything I know from here and the old Grumpys site. I give them them whole speal (sp?) that BIAB has only been around 8-9 years and in the early days it got such a hammering on here but now it has proved its worth and is a great, simple and cheap way to produce bloody good beer!. Spotya Pat!. Cheers
Steve

I have a question about batch size and water quantity.. My ideal batch size is 12-13L, so I would like to know if at all possible (based on a 60min boil) how much kilo of grain for a basic ale and how much water?

I have tried to find the answer before, but I always get obscure answers. I would like to hear from people who have done batches this size if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

This is a fairly easy thing to dial in using most recipe programs available
Using Brewmate it tells me for a 1.048OG wort, you'll need around 2.5kg of ale malt for a 12L batch at 75% efficiency
It also says your strike water volume should be around 16L
which makes sense, I use 33L for a 23L knockout, so I'd give these figures a try and adjust as needed after experimenting

This is a fairly easy thing to dial in using most recipe programs available
Using Brewmate it tells me for a 1.048OG wort, you'll need around 2.5kg of ale malt for a 12L batch at 75% efficiency
It also says your strike water volume should be around 16L
which makes sense, I use 33L for a 23L knockout, so I'd give these figures a try and adjust as needed after experimenting
I use Brewmate as well. Its basic but easy to use. Download for free, type the quantities of grain and hops in on the new recipe page then hit 'brew day'. Adjust temp of grain and strike water quantity, hit 'no chill 'button twice and it will give you all the numbers. E.g. water temps and quantities.
Good luck.

Thanks Spork, I needed to confirm these amounts. I think I've been boiling my worts too long.

Thanks Neal, that is an excellent guide for my small batches.

and

Thank you Nick, I will try brewmate again. I seem to have problems whenever I have tried to use it in the past.. but maybe that was because I didn't hit the 'no chill' button twice. I will give it another go.

Cheers guys.

Thanks Spork, I needed to confirm these amounts. I think I've been boiling my worts too long.

Thanks Neal, that is an excellent guide for my small batches.

and

Thank you Nick, I will try brewmate again. I seem to have problems whenever I have tried to use it in the past.. but maybe that was because I didn't hit the 'no chill' button twice. I will give it another go.

Cheers guys.

Sorry Choookers I should have said hit the no chill button before going to brew day it adjusts everything otherwise as stated. I adjust strike water litres (quantity) because I BIAB and fire the grain into around 24 litres to mash. It gives me very accurate strike water temps.
Good luck.

Wow!

I link this thread on other forums when someone asks of the history of BIAB. Just went to link it again and see it has been unpinned.

I'm happy to update the original post (always have been and wish I could), so any reason it was unpinned?

Yup I just noticed that myself. It used to be right at the top of the pinned list. PM the mods / admin, I'm sure they'll get onto it, lovely lads that they are.

edit: as I did with the BIAB in Urn guide, how about submitting a re-write as a new thread, and request the new one to be pinned and the old one closed/archived but still available for viewing. The old thread could have a statement as its last post inviting viewers to go to the new thread if interested.

It would also freshen up the comments section, a bit like "What's in the Glass" has gone through several incarnations.

PistolPatch said:
Wow!

I link this thread on other forums when someone asks of the history of BIAB. Just went to link it again and see it has been unpinned.

I'm happy to update the original post (always have been and wish I could), so any reason it was unpinned?
Don’t know why it was unpinned, my best guess was the thread has morphed into a general discussion rather than a guide.

When the thread was started very little was known here on AHB about the old fashion mash in a bag method. Most members were only aware of the more advanced three tier home brewing method so a guide was handy. These days there are a multitude of experienced brewers on the forum mashing in a bag that discuss and give advice on it almost daily.

You should still be able link to other forums even if it’s unpinned. Also you should be able copy and paste your OP then make any updates you want then re post. If you change your OP now it could make following posts in the thread confusing.

Cheers
Sean

Looking at the original posts, I agree that they are great historical information but it's written from the point of view of BIAB being for most people an unfamiliar technique and arguing its advantages.

Nowadays, of course, BIAB has gone on in leaps and bounds and seems to have almost become the main channel for new / kit brewers to get into All Grain (insert emoticon of happy people dancing) and I wonder if a more "how to manual" edition would be more appropriate, with links to the other material such as the downloads available in your first posts here.

For example a more hands on description of the pros and cons of using a gas kettle, an urn, etc - a series of photos and maybe a comprehensive intro that sums up the whole brewing process from grain to brain and how BIAB fits in perfectly with these steps. A lot of beginning BIAB brewers would I'm sure love to know exactly what's happening when they do a 72 degree rest or the difference between malted and unmalted grains, or bag hoisting methods etc.

edit: I realise there's a lot of this info in the original posts but maybe something to tie it all together right from the beginning. When I was in a public speaking club the saying was "Tell them what you are going to tell them. Then tell them. Then tell them what it was that you just told them. "

Now my brain hurts :p

Hi All,

I am currently an extract/k&k brewer of 2 years with ok results but as i'm a perfectionist, need to improve :)

Just looking into the BIAB method and getting that setup, I already have a temp controlled fridge that fits 2 x 30lt fermenters and a series 4 kegerator so its the production i need to improve.

I have one question at the moment (still reading through all the information on here so apologies if it is answered somewhere else - awesome effort but those who have posted it all), I have a temp controller which i used for my previous fermenting fridge which I had anticipated on using for the mash with an immersion hot water element plugged into it and the sensor in the mash, it obviously then switches it on and off based on the temp, am i over thinking it? Would it work? I find the more automated I can make things, the less mistakes I make and better the beer! My other thought was to use it on an urn instead of the normal controller.

Any suggestions woudl be appreciated - now back to reading

Cheers

dbisiker said:
Hi All,

I am currently an extract/k&k brewer of 2 years with ok results but as i'm a perfectionist, need to improve :)

Just looking into the BIAB method and getting that setup, I already have a temp controlled fridge that fits 2 x 30lt fermenters and a series 4 kegerator so its the production i need to improve.

I have one question at the moment (still reading through all the information on here so apologies if it is answered somewhere else - awesome effort but those who have posted it all), I have a temp controller which i used for my previous fermenting fridge which I had anticipated on using for the mash with an immersion hot water element plugged into it and the sensor in the mash, it obviously then switches it on and off based on the temp, am i over thinking it? Would it work? I find the more automated I can make things, the less mistakes I make and better the beer! My other thought was to use it on an urn instead of the normal controller.

Any suggestions woudl be appreciated - now back to reading

Cheers
Good on you for advancing from kits mate, all grain is a blast.

I used to do exactly what you're suggesting, with a wire cage sitting over the element to prevent contact with the grain bag (this would burn the bag) and a wort pump to recirculate the heating wort and ensure the temp is consistent throughout the mash.

*however*

If you're doing typical 60-90min mashes, you should be able to insulate your pot well enough to maintain temp anyway. I stopped recirculating & heating throughout the mash when I realised an el cheapo sleeping bag from Kmart insulated my pot just fine.

Latest posts

Back