A fine mess you made of this Malcolm.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Coalition blew it with the first Abbott/Hockey budget, which was a disaster. It was primarily engineered by Abbott, the huckster treasurer had little to do with its design.
They never recovered from that.
Replacing Abbott with Turnbull put a temporary halt to their slide down, and gave them only a brief boost.
The sad thing about this campaign from either side of the major parties is that there was a distinct lack of real policies, replaced by platitudes, irrelevant lifestyle issues, outright lies, and attacks on the other side.
Labor's campaign was reasonably foreceful, but contained a lot of lies. The Coalition didn't rebut the lies effectively and too late, and ran a piss weak campaign.
Unfortunately, it also went on almost interminably, to the point of me being close to chucking a pint glass at the screen each time a pollie appeared, or one of their ads came on.
No wonder there was so much confusion, with the result quite possibly being a hung parliament.
Lovely. Welcome to modern day Australia.

Nothing lasts, even the human race will eventually disappear. As for parties getting in and out of power nothing could be more daunting than a party which could not be dislodged by a democratic vote, take note of Animal Farm and thank your lucky stars we live in a democratic society.

Or the illusion of democracy. I loved how the general public this time, in response to major parties attempting to subvert the independemt will of the people by engineering a more representative (read contollable) senate, basically said "stuff you" and elected every one bar the mad rumsoaked stockman to the aforementioned senate. Otherwise it is just a choice between two colluding autocracies. 'Cos when it suits them, the two major players will quite happily jump into bed together behind closed doors and are quite happy to continually power share. So it's not really a democracy when they actively work to limit the effectivemess of outsiders stepping in. Note how quickly they jumped together when Pauline first arrived. Albo for PM.

warra48 said:
Labor's campaign was reasonably foreceful, but contained a lot of lies.
Which lies would they be....and please...dont say Medicare, we all know the intentions of the LNP with Medicare. LNP very quickly changed their tune when Labor started to point out that they want to gut it like a fish..

Anyway, both sides lied equally in my book

How could the libnats not have seen that making education and healthcare more expensive whilst in all likelihood cutting penalty rates and therefor wages wouldn't go down well with voters. What a bunch of arrogant wankers. Didn't even get as much as they deserved. If they really are determined to go down the gurgler though they should bring this dildo back as quick as they possibly can...
59ee2da546d1c8b0122c15cc11a4c78a.jpg

manticle said:
Is it just me or was this campaign based entirely on why we shouldn't vote for the other guys (as opposed to this is why you should vote for us).
Everyone from greens through to liberal seemed to campaign this way, more than in previous campaigns.
I don't care about scaremongering - let me know what good shit you're going to be doing, not what bad shit the others will do.
Dreadful campaign all round, gives me very little hope. Glad Wilkie retained his seat in my electorate. Seems to have a bit more integrity than most.
Shame that almost half the candidates for the senate are from fairly far right perspectives. What's the liberty alliance got to do with liberty?
I reckon with someone else at the helm, Labor would have had this one in the bag but it's sad that election results are based purely on which leader seems most ineffective.
Was down by Tassies Parliment house this morning and Wilkie was being interviewed,look for me in the background sitting on a park bench.... Or walking back and forth trying to get on camera

Those who know me would appr

Bridges said:
How could the libnats not have seen that making education and healthcare more expensive whilst in all likelihood cutting penalty rates and therefor wages wouldn't go down well with voters. What a bunch of arrogant wankers. Didn't even get as much as they deserved. If they really are determined to go down the gurgler though they should bring this dildo back as quick as they possibly can...
59ee2da546d1c8b0122c15cc11a4c78a.jpg
Those who know me would tell you that I'm not really a belly laugh sort of guy.

Currently my sides are aching. :D

Either way with the unclear win and the outcome could depend on back room deals with the independents this country is in trouble.
To me the result is a statement of the voters anger and the 2 major parties failure.
Or are they both so alike no one can tell them apart, so the " minor" parties won more votes.

There needs to be a "NO" box on the voting slip, and a comments box as well.
"Your a wanker and I'm not interested in your bullshit"

spog said:
Either way with the unclear win and the outcome could depend on back room deals with the independents this country is in trouble.
To me the result is a statement of the voters anger and the 2 major parties failure.
Or are they both so alike no one can tell them apart, so the " minor" parties won more votes.
From what I can tell it will deffinately go that way as neither government can now get enough votes to save it from a hung parliament !

And remember when both sides basically said they wont negotiate to get into power..

Well...they are going to have to eat their words bigtime

A cant wait.... This is going to be so much fun

100% race to the bottom. I think most folks were voting for what they saw as the 'least worst option'.

My main frustration with Turnbull, is that we've clearly not been getting Turnbull; we've been getting Bernardi.

What astonishes me the most, is that when Turnbull finally got rid of The Mad Monk (who was ONLY voted in because he 'wasn't Labor'), the opinion polls for LNP skyrocketed. They did so because Turnbull essentially told us we were done with the political ideologies driving the party under Abbott and that bunch of lunatics on the right of the party. Soon, everything that caused a bit of enthusiasm for the LNP was being stripped away, one thing after another and returned to Abbott-era ideology and it all came tumbling down.

Bernardi, Abetz, Andrews etc. got their way on a number of key issues and the way they want it, simply is not what a majority of the public wants. In the meantime, they're now bleating that the Turnbull experiment has failed. The reality is, that it's the Neo-Con experiment that has failed.

I might have considered voting for Turnbull, had he not been so completely a hostage of that gang of Tea-Party Conservatives on the right but as it is, that was simply not an option. The right wing of the LNP are not liberals by any meaning of that word. They are frighteningly close to being identical to Trump in their delusions.

Six months ago, I would have said that there was no way Shorten would ever be realistically in the running for PM. Low, if any, personality; no ability to speak to the electorate, and clearly without the balls to go out and say anything of consequence. I have to admit that as the campaign heated up though, he started actually sounding like a contender. I gather from that, that ALP finally decided to allow him to have a platform which I think they must have denied him earlier on.

Having said all that; I didn't vote. Not because I won't, but because I can't. I'm a Permanent resident in Australia, having moved from Denmark to Melbourne in 2008 (hoping to get my citizenship this year though!). I always engage with politics though, as my father had a reasonably illustrious political career in his younger years, until he decided he'd rather have a family. :)

Ducatiboy stu said:
And remember when both sides basically said they wont negotiate to get into power..

Well...they are going to have to eat their words bigtime

A cant wait.... This is going to be so much fun
they'll just say they didn't, we took it out of context

part of their problem was no one believes the libs after the last election when there will be no cuts and they cut everything after getting in

personally i don't think they give a shit about us it's all about them, happy for us peasants to pay for everything and them very little

can imagine poor ol malcoms tax return

Benn said:
There needs to be a "NO" box on the voting slip, and a comments box as well.
"Your a wanker and I'm not interested in your bullshit"
but only correctly spelt comments are excepted ;)

In other news why have they stopped counting? When it's a forgone conclusion yeah no worries take a couple of days off. When it's this close surely you keep counting.

Latest posts

Back