A Couple Of Beer Thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PoMo's dream of all brew being local based worked well in Europe for centuries and may work well now in some places due to population size. But I doubt I'll see Rooty Hill RSL establishing a micobrewery in its cellar unless they can make a Tooheys clone. It won't happen in Tuross Head.

One tap in Rooty Hill RSL would do me. I think it will change with the new small venue licences being affordable and simple to acquire and the newly legalised brewery door tastings and off-licences. All we need now is improved excise concessions for micro and regional breweries and the market will be a very different place. I think it is these changes that the big guys are bracing themselves for.

Excise accounts for approx 1/3 of the case price of a micro brewed beer. If that could be wiped off for breweries who make less than a certain amount of litres per year (like the boutique wineries) then they could offer the beer at a more acceptable to the general public rate and /or put the saved money into advertising and marketing so they could have a real go at growing their brand.

Personally I proabably wouldnt lower the case price all that much I would rather pump some advertising out there. Speaking of which has anyone in Melbourne heard the radio adds for Gage Roads Beer? Smart move.

Rooty Hill RSL here they come.

It is fine to argue that the "Pure brands getting bastardized" here in Australia.
This is nothing new and applies to all products around the world and every franchise around this country.

OT (Porto Chicken use to taste good)

When half of the population drinking Carlton united or Lion Nathan Aussie brand that is heavily marketed while
the "Hip" beer drinker with $$s spend their money on the expensive brands.
There is little we can do about it.

As Tony expessed so well.

Brew you OWN.

PS And using a name to classify the beer belong only to beer People
For the general drinker It is all beer.

In Sweden they promoted a beer with a Kanguru on it. I cannot recall the name of the beer.
No real relation to Australia or Fosters. It was brewed by Pripps brewery In Sweden using POR as bittering, I believe.
Purely a marketing ploy and why stop there.

Tooheys using Raindeers. :ph34r:

And what about that bloody polar beer. :blink:

The chances of getting a good beer on tap at my local surf club [and I live 100m from it] are NIL, the RSL is the same [well almost nil, I can dream] they are a bunch of cretins. <_<.

The two fastest growing segments of the beer market are "premium" and "mid-strength" beers. The big boys are doing the BUL thing in order to try and tap into that perceived "premium" segment that imports appear to offer to the consumer. Of course everything they do is dictated by the bottom line. As large publicly listed companies, you couldn't expect otherwise. Shareholders don't care about the product, only the dividends.

Our job is to continue to support our micros so they can continue to offer a superior product, to those consumers that see the light. They are the true "premium" market segment, and hopefully, will continue to see growth (and more micros) despite the consolidation of the "imported premium" segment by the big boys.

So to call a Wheat Ale a Bock is.... reminds me when Tooheys bought out Blue Bock a light beer??!??!?

When in doubt consult the BJCP.

Absolutaly love a weizenbock, the rich flavours combined with the tartness of the wheat and the higher alch% without the hot fuels.

I brewed a weizenbock which placed 1st at state and 3rd at the nationals. Not to bad for a NC beer which was brewed in a hurry to get along to the AHB pubcrawl.

I did a back to Back tasting of the imported Becks with a local brewed one.... The results are probably what one would expect and disappointing. I did the same with the imported Stella and the award winning Australian international version with the same disappointing results.!

Going back to MO's original thread, I just had a horrifying micro dream. I pictured Sid and Ernie in Blackpool with two bottles in front of them, Sid tastes a mouthful from both and says "Ernie, you're right. The Fosters from Australia tastes way better than the local stuff brewed in England ! Why can't they make it like the original ?"

The chances of getting a good beer on tap at my local surf club [and I live 100m from it] are NIL, the RSL is the same [well almost nil, I can dream] they are a bunch of cretins. <_<.

I think if any, Surf Clubs are the easiest to deal with when it comes to supporting local product, because of the local support shown to Surf Clubs. Northcliffe now have Burleigh Brewing Co's "Dukes" beer on tap and soon another couple of Gold Coast SLSC's will be following suit.

Couple of local bars here on the Sunshine Coast are now serving SCB beers. I say ask for good beer every time you ask for a beer, no matter where.

Going back to MO's original thread, I just had a horrifying micro dream. I pictured Sid and Ernie in Blackpool with two bottles in front of them, Sid tastes a mouthful from both and says "Ernie, you're right. The Fosters from Australia tastes way better than the local stuff brewed in England ! Why can't they make it like the original ?"

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Sadly, according to a few mates who've just got back from the UK the reverse is true :lol:

Absolutaly love a weizenbock, the rich flavours combined with the tartness of the wheat and the higher alch% without the hot fuels.
I brewed a weizenbock which placed 1st at state and 3rd at the nationals. Not to bad for a NC beer which was brewed in a hurry to get along to the AHB pubcrawl.

I stand corrected - thank you.

Excise accounts for approx 1/3 of the case price of a micro brewed beer. If that could be wiped off for breweries who make less than a certain amount of litres per year (like the boutique wineries) then they could offer the beer at a more acceptable to the general public rate and /or put the saved money into advertising and marketing so they could have a real go at growing their brand.

Personally I proabably wouldnt lower the case price all that much I would rather pump some advertising out there. Speaking of which has anyone in Melbourne heard the radio adds for Gage Roads Beer? Smart move.

From Here linkything

A brewery is a microbrewery where:

* it is legally and economically independent of any other brewery
* in the previous financial year, the total production of beer by the brewery did not exceed 30,000 litres
* in the current financial year, it is unlikely that the total production of beer by the brewery will exceed 30,000 litres, and
* it sells beer (whether wholesale or retail), on which excise duty has been paid, directly from the manufacturing premises of the brewery.

A brewery that is a subsidiary of another brewery is not legally independent under corporations law and therefore cannot be a microbrewery.

A brewery that is not a subsidiary of another brewery is not economically independent where its operations are subsidised by another brewery. Under these circumstances, it would not be a microbrewery.

Refunds of excise duty will be paid to the value of 60% of the original excise return upon which duty was paid. This means that each request for refund must relate to an original excise return. An amount of 60% of the duty paid will be refunded, up to a maximum of $10,000 a year, where the microbrewery has been operating for a full financial year.

Where a microbrewery commences operations part way through a financial year, the maximum refund payable is calculated by:

* multiplying $10,000 by the number of days in the period starting when the brewery first becomes a microbrewery and ending at the end of the financial year, and
* dividing the result by 365 days.

30000 litres per year. You'd probably clear about $2 per litre on that if you sell packaged beer. So you'd make $60k pa and they'd refund $10k in excise. I'd rather keep doing what I'm doing. For a brewery to make enough to earn its operator a living, you'd have to make at least double that.

And to add to OldBugman's link, there's another one from the German Beer Institute here. Lots of info on different kinds of bocks, including weizenbocks. AFAIK, bock is a descriptor of strength, and the original bock was an ale anyway.

Not a bad beer that weizenbock. Making some more for the next ISB meet then Luke? :D

I sampled both the local and fully imported Stella Artois and I was hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Sam

I used to drink a lot of Stella's, I can taste a difference.

I reckon they could be using POR for a bittering hop, it seems to have that after taste. (I could be wrong though :rolleyes: )

And I'm not having a go at POR either :)

PoMo's dream of all brew being local based worked well in Europe for centuries and may work well now in some places due to population size. But I doubt I'll see Rooty Hill RSL establishing a micobrewery in its cellar unless they can make a Tooheys clone. It won't happen in Tuross Head.

One tap in Rooty Hill RSL would do me. I think it will change with the new small venue licences being affordable and simple to acquire and the newly legalised brewery door tastings and off-licences. All we need now is improved excise concessions for micro and regional breweries and the market will be a very different place. I think it is these changes that the big guys are bracing themselves for.

Rooty Hill RSL now has Postcode Lager and Pilsener on tap in every bar. Obvously they didn't end up putting a small brewery in the cellar.

So where is it from? Bluetongue?

Back