A case of over-carbonation in bottles!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackgym

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I'm drinking the Thomas Cooper's Inkeepers Daughter ale brewed with the kit yeast.
When pouring it I get half a glass of foam. In desperation I tried taking the cap completely
off (24 hours before I intend to drink it) for about 10 seconds and screwed it back on . A
loud hiss escaped the bottle. On pouring it 24 hours later it still produced a similar large
head. I tried opening the cap again at 12 hours (that's twice) and re-screwing back the lid.
A smaller hiss escaped the bottle. The beer still produces a lot of foam, although not quite
as bad.

HELP!

How did you carbonate, what were the ingredients and what was the fg?

If you can get some to degas pour into a jug and then pour the over gased into the jug and will mix and not a jug full of foam. .

wynnum1 said:
If you can get some to degas pour into a jug and then pour the over gased into the jug and will mix and not a jug full of foam. .
That took me about 5 reads to figure out what you were trying to say.

manticle said:
How did you carbonate, what were the ingredients and what was the fg?
I used 2 carbon drops per 550ml PET bottle. I didn't take an fg, just waited for 11 days until all activity ceased then bottled.

jackgym said:
I used 2 carbon drops per 550ml PET bottle. I didn't take an fg, just waited for 11 days until all activity ceased then bottled.
Priming amounts is variable however in general, you have added too much priming sugar. The general rule of thumb to keep things simple is 1 drop per 375mL or 2 for a 750mL long neck. You've added too much in that regard.

Also, and I've just posted in another thread the same thing, why haven't you tested the FG? How do know all activity had ceased if you hadn't checked the gravity over multiple days? You may have bottled too early which is a dangerous practice.

jackgym said:
Next time rely on gravity rather than time.
While 2 carb drops is recommended by coopers for 750mL, many people feel that is too high. 2 in 550 is definitely too much.

Bottling too early can be really dangerous, especially in glass.
I presume from you mentioning 'unscrewing' the caps that you have bottled in PET. Not as scary as glass but can still explode and injure or make a mess. Are the bottles looking like they are swelling?

Sorry, I should have said 2 carbonation drops per 750ml bottle, not 550ml.
It seems I may have bottled a little early while the yeast was still working.

jackgym said:
Just the one brew.
1 bottle or 1 whole batch?

1 bottle could indicate you added too many carb drops to that particular bottle or an infection issue with the bottle. The whole batch is likely to be bottling prior to final gravity.

I had a simliair problem with a porter last year. they got worse and worse till they actually started getting dangerous when opening . luckily they were in PET and not glass . they didnt taste bad. maybe a little weird but drinkable

ended up admitting to myself i had an infection in the batch and poured the final 12 or so longnecks down the sink . since then have been extra carefull with my regime

mongey said:
I had a simliair problem with a porter last year. they got worse and worse till they actually started getting dangerous when opening . luckily they were in PET and not glass . they didnt taste bad. maybe a little weird but drinkable

ended up admitting to myself i had an infection in the batch and poured the final 12 or so longnecks down the sink . since then have been extra carefull with my regime
Since I've been opening the bottles twice before drinking, and not using my best glass, the problem is under control.
I don't think I have an infection because the beer wouldn't taste as good as it does. Also, the next brew was perfect.

Thanks for your input.

If you cold crash the beer there can be extra co2 in the beer .

I believe wynnum1 if you keep the brew cool and don't raise the temp (i.e. lager without an increase for a diacetyl rest) then that will retain more CO2. I don't think cold crashing puts it back in there.

TheWiggman said:
I believe wynnum1 if you keep the brew cool and don't raise the temp (i.e. lager without an increase for a diacetyl rest) then that will retain more CO2. I don't think cold crashing puts it back in there.
I would agree with you.

The previous advice was poor. The only way more co2 would be in the beer if it was crash chilled would be if it was crash chilled prior to the fermentation finishing. That is poor practice and may result in dangerous over carbonated beer, diacetyl, acetaldehyde and other off flavours caused by not letting the yeast do their job.

Latest posts

Back