A Burner Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderchild

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have the standard 3 ring gas burner on normal low pressure BBQ reg which is fine and does what I need for a standard batch. It is however burning yellow with the resultant soot and shite everywhere. I remember from somewhere deep in yr 11 chem that this is because of a gas air mix??

My question is do I have a way to burn more cleanly using my existing setup.? (I don;t really want to buy more gear if I don;t have to.

If not, what is the best/most cost effective option to clean this up?

TC

You should have 3 thin discs on the burner screw these all the way open to alow for more air to flow through which will burn a better hotter flame it should help in the clean up by burning the soot off.

You should have 3 thin discs on the burner screw these all the way open to alow for more air to flow through which will burn a better hotter flame it should help in the clean up by burning the soot off.

Found Them! My eternal thanks. By all the way open means clostest to the taps??

LB

You may also find the holes will get clogged with soot and the life, I remember reading about someone who drilled out the holes and was amazed at the crud.

You can also look into an adjustable regulator for some extra "oomph".
The discs should be turned so they are far from the taps, so they don't block the intake at all.

Please excuse my ignorance. So if the discs are towards the taps = less air? Therfore burns cleaner?

Please excuse my ignorance. So if the discs are towards the taps = less air? Therfore burns cleaner?

Discs as close as possible to the brass swing taps which turn each ring on and off, biggest possible gap between the disc and the cast iron body of the burner

I have a four ring burner and just drilled the holes out. There was quite a lot of them blocked with casting material from new. Another thing to do, if you havn't already tried, is to make sure that you have a large air gap underneath the burner so that plenty of air can get to the flame.

Cheers
Gavo.

I have a four ring burner and just drilled the holes out. There was quite a lot of them blocked with casting material from new. Another thing to do, if you havn't already tried, is to make sure that you have a large air gap underneath the burner so that plenty of air can get to the flame.

Cheers
Gavo.

no Worries there, came on a stand..!

Thank you all for your help, can't wait to do the next brew to try it.

TC

Latest posts

Back