A Build Up Of Something Inside My Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I was about to fill another keg when I looked inside and noticed this rough film/build up on the inside. Any ideas what it would be? It only took a light scrub for it to come loose but it was a bit disturbing.
When I clean my kegs I just give them a quick rinse with a 12pmm of Iodophor solution then rinse.

Steve

I was about to fill another keg when I looked inside and noticed this rough film/build up on the inside. Any ideas what it would be? It only took a light scrub for it to come loose but it was a bit disturbing.
When I clean my kegs I just give them a quick rinse with a 12pmm of Iodophor solution then rinse.

Steve

beerstone ?

try soaking in hot pbw

hot water and unscented napisan/sodium perc leave overnight.should get rid of the film.

hot water and unscented napisan leave overnight.should get rid of the film.

yes, try this, but if it dont work give the pbw a shot

pbw has worked for me at times that napisan didnt

Presume its the same dusty crud that builds up in bottles after several uses, either way save yourself the effort with scrubbing- overnight perc soak is the solution [Boom tish... Oh ok, I'll be off now then. :rolleyes: ].

Presume its the same dusty crud that builds up in bottles after several uses, either way save yourself the effort with scrubbing- overnight perc soak is the solution [Boom tish... Oh ok, I'll be off now then. :rolleyes: ].
+1 sodium perc will shift it

:icon_offtopic: do you rinse your bottles in 10 years and hundreads of brews there has been no crap build up in my bottles?
what are you doing to them im confused! :icon_cheers:

cheers: HBK

edit: spelling

:icon_offtopic: do you rinse your bottles
Yes, several times in plain water.
in 10 years and hundreads of brews there has been no crap build up in my bottles?
what are you doing to them im confused! :icon_cheers:
Wow, I guess you're lucky then! Regardless of how many times or how thoroughly I rinse freshly- emptied bottles in plain water, a dusty residue builds up on the inside of my glass and PET bottles after cycling through a few batches, while like the OP, my kegs have the same sort of strife before too long as well. I found that the residue seemed to lead to random bottle infection (and I wasn't confident that the containers were sanitary when refilling either) so now I periodically soak all packaging containers in a strong perc solution or PBW if I'm feeling enthusiastic. Since changing to the routine perc soak, the random bottle infections are nearly nil although in all fairness now that I keg beer I do bottle less.

I fill mine to the rim and then add a cap of napisan - and then the trick ... when the napisan has hit the bottom of the keg, push the OUT seal button and BLURP, napisan solution is now in the dip tube all the way to the seal.

Clean in 24 hours cold, 2 hours hot. And we're talking CLEAN!

less than a cap of napisan and a kettle of boiling water into every keg after its empty, put the lid on shake it all around for a few minutes, then use the pressure built up to clean the beer/out line and the in/co2.
Clean and shiny, smells clean too.

I have had what RVJ says below as well, particularly in PET, even just a quick shake with napisan and hot tap water gets rid of it.

"Wow, I guess you're lucky then! Regardless of how many times or how thoroughly I rinse freshly- emptied bottles in plain water, a dusty residue builds up on the inside of my glass and PET bottles after cycling through a few batches, while like the OP, my kegs have the same sort of strife before too long as well. I found that the residue seemed to lead to random bottle infection (and I wasn't confident that the containers were sanitary when refilling either) so now I periodically soak all packaging containers in a strong perc solution or PBW if I'm feeling enthusiastic. Since changing to the routine perc soak, the random bottle infections are nearly nil although in all fairness now that I keg beer I do bottle less."

The same thing builds up on the inside of your beerlines and taps.
Regular clean with keg and line cleaner does the job.

Every few cycles I'll half fill a keg with hot water and a scoop of pbw. Run some through the gas and prv outlets and force some through the liquid out. Let stand for a few hours then up end and let stand on its top for a few more hours. Transfer solution to next keg, rinse and starsan.

Because its half full the solution is twice the strength of a full keg but by upending you get perfect coverage.

Is the persistent layer some type of yeast spore?

Is the persistent layer some type of yeast spore?

No.
It's a calcium type deposit, to the best of my knowledge.

I get it in my bottles after a few refills, but it cleans out easily enough with any of the methods described above.

Do you add a bunch of calcium salts (CaSo4, CaCO3 etc.) to your waters? I have found on some beers that it comes out of solution and forms a whitish deposit inside my kegs.

Back