A better way to tell the temperature of your fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
Only yesterday I had the dirts with my fermenter

could not read the temperature with the coloured strip

used a hand held thermometer in the liquid to confirm temperature before adding yeast

those strips have a short life and are difficult to read

saw this today

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/digital-lcd-fridge-thermometer/

$4

worth a try with a bit of blue tac

which is what I use with my fridge mate set up

Whilst there's quite a few threads dealing with this, I really don't think you'll find a better method than a temperature controller inserted into a thermowell.

Costs a little more than $4, sure - but when the average brew takes me 4-5 hours of work, a couple of weeks in waiting time and $20-30, I'd rather do it right.

Spiesy said:
Whilst there's quite a few threads dealing with this, I really don't think you'll find a better method than a temperature controller inserted into a thermowell.

Costs a little more than $4, sure - but when the average brew takes me 4-5 hours of work, a couple of weeks in waiting time and $20-30, I'd rather do it right.
I totally agree. In fact, I'm not even satisfied with the cheaper options like my STC-1000. The minimum 0.3 C differential annoys me because it forces overshooting. So I'm in the process of building and programming my own controller. I've got most of the components, I'm just trying to decide whether to make it PID or something custom.

On the other hand. If all you want is a temp probe, then you can't get much cheaper than that. Although I'm not sure I see the point in a device that reads out to a precision of 0.1 C but is only accurate to 1 C. What's the point of the decimal place if you can't trust it? You're better off just not displaying it.

VS,

I think that you know yeast is able to work over a wide range of temps. Good beer was and has been brewed, long before thermometers were invented.

The desirable fermentation characteristics do not require 0.5 C temp controll. The difference betwen 17C and 35C is required.... not 17.3 and 17.4!!!

G

I've seen graph traces from a Brew PI with 0.1F in either direction, thats like 0.05c but note BrewPI uses a complex algorithm to control ferment temp. Thermowell is a must for this sort of resolution obviously

growler said:
VS,

I think that you know yeast is able to work over a wide range of temps. Good beer was and has been brewed, long before thermometers were invented.

The desirable fermentation characteristics do not require 0.5 C temp controll. The difference betwen 17C and 35C is required.... not 17.3 and 17.4!!!

G
Yeah, you're right, we don't need sub-degree control. However, "Back in the day we didn't have these fangdangled temp. control systems" is a poor argument. Beer styles and expected quality have changed a great deal since the pre-thermometer days.

I was just expounding on Spiesy's sentiment that so much time and effort goes into this hobby that for the sake of a few (not too many) dollars more, you may as well do it as best you can.

And just to make it clear, I'm not expecting people to go out and buy the latest and greatest temp. control gear. I'm just building it because I saw room for improvement and I have the skills and willingness to kill invest time. Mostly because I can. :p

Maybe we're getting a bit OT here, but anyways.

MastersBrewery said:
I've seen graph traces from a Brew PI with 0.1F in either direction, thats like 0.05c but note BrewPI uses a complex algorithm to control ferment temp. Thermowell is a must for this sort of resolution obviously
Yeah, BrewPi is a bit more hardcore than I'm building - way more functionality and I'm only aiming for <0.15 C stability (after stabilisation time which is necessary with any feedback controlled system) for 20 - 25 L batches in a 250 L fridge. Having said that, the custom approach I mentioned sounds similar to thiers. I'm calculating the air temp in the fridge needed to achieve the desired beer temp (using 2 probes obviously). Again, because I can...hopefully. :D

I may have missed my point

this was instead of the strip you glue on the outside of the fermenter

not the accuracy etc

just want to check before yeast addition and then putting into

the temperature controlled fridge which is only to one degree anyway

cheaper than the strip

getting off the original post

lets face it control between a few degrees is enough anyway

verysupple said:
Maybe we're getting a bit OT here, but anyways.

Yeah, BrewPi is a bit more hardcore than I'm building - way more functionality and I'm only aiming for <0.15 C stability (after stabilisation time which is necessary with any feedback controlled system) for 20 - 25 L batches in a 250 L fridge. Having said that, the custom approach I mentioned sounds similar to thiers. I'm calculating the air temp in the fridge needed to achieve the desired beer temp (using 2 probes obviously). Again, because I can...hopefully. :D
Still OT sorry This maybe of some use to you

Fill a long neck up with water and stick a thermometer in it. Place it next your beer. Bang!

marksy said:
Fill a long neck up with water and stick a thermometer in it. Place it next your beer. Bang!
Problem with that is yeast creates heat whilst in growth ( ferment) stage.
A bottle of water wouldn't help unless you floated it in you fermenter.
That I dare say that would be problematic infection wise.

50 years from now I predict there will still be debate on wether dried yeast should be hydrated and if monitoring temperatures outside the fermenter is the best method for temp control.

I note one graph in the HBT thread link I posted shows a definite kick at the point fermentation has ceased producing heat, I agree that the degree of control required to achieve "the perfect ferment" is and will probably always be subjective and open to much debate. If the tools to attain finite control are available and with in your budget why not ensure your doing the best you can, it's not like your forking out $7000 for a WW

Rod said:

used a hand held in the liquid to confirm temperature before adding yeast

saw this today

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/digital-lcd-fridge-thermometer/

$4

worth a try with a bit of blue tac

which is what I use with my fridge mate set up
Rod, I am guessing that you don't use a temp controlled fermentation fridge/ cupboard ?.

Shorely you jest about the hand in the liquid thing.
I may just try that,then again I may just train my cat to do it.

spog said:
Rod, I am guessing that you don't use a temp controlled fermentation fridge/ cupboard ?.
I do use a temperature controlled fridge in summer and a temperature controlled heat pad sometimes in winter

this device is only to check the temperature before adding yeast

I normally check with the strip which is stuck on the side of the fermenter , but those strips do not last long and you cannot read them sometimes

better to check before you add yeast than to find it is too high before it is too late

sigh :unsure:

my original statement

used a hand held in the liquid to confirm temperature before adding yeast

saw this today

http://www.kogan.com...ge-thermometer/

Latest posts

Back