A Beer To Go With My Bock.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
Here's the thing.
My beer fridge is currently seeing duty as a brew chamber for the Bock and sitting at a cosy 10deg. So I thought while I'm tying it up, I might as well pop another in to keep it company.
I want to brew something that will be a contrast with the bock, but I'm not much on larger styles like Heineken or Steinlager and such (I'm much more of an ale drinker)
I was thinking maby a Dortmunder export, Oktoberfest or pilsner, just something a little lighter and maby more hoppy than malty.
What would y'all pick?

Hahaha good timing! Doing the same thing at the moment. I'm doing a Bo pils with Nelson Sauvin. I'm an ale man aswell but thought I would have a crack at a few lagers in the cold season to get some experience.

What is your Bock recipe? I have an outline, just nothing definitive.

Cheers mate.

Here's the thing.
My beer fridge is currently seeing duty as a brew chamber for the Bock and sitting at a cosy 10deg. So I thought while I'm tying it up, I might as well pop another in to keep it company.
I want to brew something that will be a contrast with the bock, but I'm not much on larger styles like Heineken or Steinlager and such (I'm much more of an ale drinker)
I was thinking maby a Dortmunder export, Oktoberfest or pilsner, just something a little lighter and maby more hoppy than malty.
What would y'all pick?

I am also looking to do the same.

I am going with a malty german lager or a light octoberfest. Add CaraMunich 1,2 or 3 into them to make them malty, I will also use the same yeast in both to make it a bit easier. Much better than mega lager flavours, especially if you like ales.

What is your Bock recipe? I have an outline, just nothing definitive.

Cheers mate.

It's basically the one straight out of 'Brewing classic styles' for traditional Bock. It's the first time I've had a crack at it and just wanted to keep it simple and get a feel for the style before playing around with it.
The yeasties have realy only just started to do their thing after about four days.
This larger bizo is gonna be one L - O - N - G process compared to good old ales.

How about the 'new world' pils style like that coming from NZ with NZ hops?
I find they tend to be big faves amoung ale drinkers in many ways.

How about the 'new world' pils style like that coming from NZ with NZ hops?
I find they tend to be big faves amoung ale drinkers in many ways.

90/10 Pilsner/Munich malt
B Saaz @60 and 15
Or Hallertau Aroma

Bitter to 30-40 IBUs

I've made both of these and they were demolished very quickly...

Pilsner sounds like the go, we use to pinch a can here and there of my old man's Reschs Pilsner when we were kids.
I think the resultant boots up the arse put me off it for years.
However, when we were in Prague, my favorite beer (well one of) was Pilsner urquell, so I guess I'm looking at a Czech pills or something.

Thinking of doing an IPA style wort in the fermenter for 8 weeks on WLP838 at 10C while I'm overseas.

Latest posts

Back