A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the meat is fatty then it will also go rancid faster.

Chilli sause........

i love home made chilli sauce.

I make a sweet chilli cause with ginger and garlic, lemon juice, white viniger water and sugar i think.

Does any one have a recipe for a hot chilli sauce thats not sweet?

cheers

I made this one today Tony - 2 apples, one green lemon + zest, 2 onions, a bag of habaneros and other assorted chillis. I added 5 cloves, of which I have found 3, and sea salt, 3 spoons of ginger and the same of garlic. And a dollop of pickle lime. Boiled and about to be blended. Used a bit of white vinegar. House smells great!

I ditched the sugar this time. I would love to make a sauce like nandos.

Cheers

Sean.
P3040011.jpg

P3040014.jpg
P3040016.jpg

Did the kid go in too?

She is chief tester. When she was one I was dipping corn chips with habanero sauce. She insisted on trying it (pestering me) so I let her have the tiniest bit. I thought that would stop her. Nope. :blink:

Jus tried the sauce and it's lethal.

She eats what I eat if shes around (off my plate) and has lots of spicy food. She has an Indian grandman. We eat a lot of curry here!

Sean

She'll probably be able to eat hot food all her life, then. I think I recall reading somewhere that before the age of 7 or 9 or so, built up tolerance to chilli does not dissipate like it does in adults.

She'll probably be able to eat hot food all her life, then. I think I recall reading somewhere that before the age of 7 or 9 or so, built up tolerance to chilli does not dissipate like it does in adults.

She might be like that crazy mexican bloke earlier in the thread who squirted the juice in his eyes!

Seriously though, she is 2.5 and eats anything. And boy is almost 6 and fussy as. I never got him to eat any hot food in case he cried or my reminded me of poor parenting. With her, I haven't held back and she is much easier to feed. Dahl is a favourite with her.

Sean

Just an update of the chilli sauce: It's awesome! I should be more modest but I think I have got it close to the taste I was aiming for. Great lingering 'hum' of habanero, clean bite but I think in a few months some more flavours will come out of it - apple, clove I hope.

It's so good I'm eating left over nachos at 6.30am!

InCider.

My Mum makes Devilled almonds for Xmas every year.
Almonds, olive oil, salt and loads and loads of cayenne pepper heated in a pan.
Excellent beer snack!

I've also got to mention one of my favourite places when I'm travelling:
The Crossing Cafe in Deniliquin. Just near the bridge.
Bloody excellent wood oven pizzas and good staff.
Their hangover cure of eggs Benedict and watermelon juice works wonders!

Heres a picture of the first wheel of Juncthouse Camembert Cheese.... tasting notes to follow in the next few weeks as I'm planning to taste this batch (5 wheels) over several weeks to see when the best time to eat it is...

Camembert1.jpg

Asher for now

One of the latest vblogs from Stone Brewing is where they combine Double Arrogant ******* with Chilli Sauce.
At one point they have the pepper concentrate that will burn your skin.
Check it out here

Beers,
Doc

Having a go at making Biltong, here's a couple of badly taken photos of the Biltong drying in a home made Biltong box.

CRIM0083.JPGCRIM0084.JPG

Asher that cheese looks great, any updates on taste ect?

Cheers
Andrew

Heres a picture of the first wheel of Juncthouse Camembert Cheese.... tasting notes to follow in the next few weeks as I'm planning to taste this batch (5 wheels) over several weeks to see when the best time to eat it is...

View attachment 12048

Asher for now

Hi Asher

how long have you been making cheese? I've been going for almost 12 months now and had a lot of fun producing a lot of different types and styles. Have you done any hard cheeses?
I'm in southeast Queensland and source unhomogenised milk from around the Gympie, Maleny and Burnett regions. Have got most of my cultures, hoops and paper (camembert/brie wraps) from Cheeselinks.

We need to set up a cheesemakers' forum!

Cheese,
Stephen.

Hi Chilli lovers.

I am picking up some habaneros off Screwtop tomorrow and I'm going to make a nice sauce. I had an idead to toss in some hops on a sample batch to see what I can create. Any suggestions on the type of hops? I only have Saaz pellets, but I'm sure they'll be fine!

InCider.

Hi Asher

how long have you been making cheese? I've been going for almost 12 months now and had a lot of fun producing a lot of different types and styles. Have you done any hard cheeses?
I'm in southeast Queensland and source unhomogenised milk from around the Gympie, Maleny and Burnett regions. Have got most of my cultures, hoops and paper (camembert/brie wraps) from Cheeselinks.

We need to set up a cheesemakers' forum!

Cheese,
Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

I am in Bundaberg, making cheese for the last 12 mths or so. I didn't know it was possible to get unhomogenised milk, can you tell me where you get it from? Have you any pics of your cheesemaking efforts? here's my Stilton style effort stilton

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Stephen,

I am in Bundaberg, making cheese for the last 12 mths or so. I didn't know it was possible to get unhomogenised milk, can you tell me where you get it from? Have you any pics of your cheesemaking efforts? here's my Stilton style effort stilton

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew, that Stilton looked bloody brilliant. :super:

How does it compare to the real English McCoy?

Warren -

Andrew, that Stilton looked bloody brilliant. :super:

How does it compare to the real English McCoy?

Warren -

Mine was a lot softer, mainly because I didn't press it, but the flavour was awesome, perhaps a little stronger than the original. I have made several batches of this and it seems a light overnight pressing gives a nice firm consistancy like the real stuff, and the veining is not quite so pronounced.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Stephen,

Cheers
Andrew
Hi Andrew
sorry, no pics of the cheese I can post (a bit of a technophobe - no digital camera, no mobile phone!). There are a number of small producers selling unhomogenised milk inlcuding:

Barambah organics (Burnett region)
Edenhope (Gympie)
Cooloola Milk (Dagun, near Gympie)
Maleny Milk.
There could be others I'm not aware of. I've only used unhomogenised milk but I understand you can use ordinary store milk by adding Calcium chloride solution.
At the moment I have a romano I made two weeks ago that I am applying salt and olive oil to to help create that hard rind, and a cloth bound cheddar that I'm turning daily and washing with a vinegar soaked cloth where necessary to any surface mould blooms. I'm just finishing a cloth bound cheddar I made 6 months ago and this time I want to mature it for at least 12 months. Also have a gorgonzola that I made a month ago and will probably break into in about two months time.

We should catch up next time you're in Brisbane. Ross has my contact details.

Cheers
Stephen.

Hi Andrew
sorry, no pics of the cheese I can post (a bit of a technophobe - no digital camera, no mobile phone!). There are a number of small producers selling unhomogenised milk inlcuding:

Barambah organics (Burnett region)
Edenhope (Gympie)
Cooloola Milk (Dagun, near Gympie)
Maleny Milk.
There could be others I'm not aware of. I've only used unhomogenised milk but I understand you can use ordinary store milk by adding Calcium chloride solution.
At the moment I have a romano I made two weeks ago that I am applying salt and olive oil to to help create that hard rind, and a cloth bound cheddar that I'm turning daily and washing with a vinegar soaked cloth where necessary to any surface mould blooms. I'm just finishing a cloth bound cheddar I made 6 months ago and this time I want to mature it for at least 12 months. Also have a gorgonzola that I made a month ago and will probably break into in about two months time.

We should catch up next time you're in Brisbane. Ross has my contact details.

Cheers
Stephen.

Thanks for the info, a cheese and beer night at Ross's place sounds great, and trying some of those cheeses you have described would be fantastic, what say you Ross, don't mind us inviting ourselves over to drink your beer :lol: .

I think a dedicated forum for beer related food would be a great idea, with perhaps sub forums for catagories such as cheese, meat, recipes ect. Although it might be pushing Dane a bit with all he has to handle now, but it can't hurt to ask.

Cheers
Andrew

Having a go at making Biltong, here's a couple of badly taken photos of the Biltong drying in a home made Biltong box.

View attachment 12880View attachment 12881

Cheers
Andrew

Hey Andrew

Like he look of the dryer, couple of questions.
Do you have anything over the light to stop drips hitting it?
Have you done anything to the wood to seal it; just with raw food? (I realise the meat shouldn't touch it, but just in case)

I ended up making one from a platic storage box with a pc fan cut int the lid.

QldKev

Back