A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive been making biltong for several months now, yours is a preety good version i would recomend using apple cider vinegar, and seasoning with ground corriander seeds and cloves for that authentic Seth Efrican touch

this jerky recipe from kai rocks

made some to take to a party yesterday eveyone couldn't get enough
making some more today

thanks kai

Cheers, kleiny. Glad you liked it.

Amazing how this thread just keeps on going.

One thing I havent found mentioned anywhere is what sort of temp is needed in a Biltong box? Im guessing warmer temps will just speed the process up but whats the average temp everyone else is drying at?

And is there any importance to the visible aspect of the lamp (help prevent mold?) or is it just to provide heat.

i pop mine in the oven on a low setting getting about 50-80 degrees, my mrs feels better about it if i tell her the "bugs" have been cooked out. usually bout 5 hours is plenty. biltong is traditionally air dried i thought? bit too much risk i think for me ;)

One thing I havent found mentioned anywhere is what sort of temp is needed in a Biltong box? Im guessing warmer temps will just speed the process up but whats the average temp everyone else is drying at?

And is there any importance to the visible aspect of the lamp (help prevent mold?) or is it just to provide heat.

Jye, my understanding is that dry moving air is what you are going for. The theory of the box is to have air moving past the meat, not hot enough to cook it, but not cold/slow enough to let airborne bugs take hold of it.

I made jerky in the oven for a long time but found I liked the cured 'softness' of biltong much better. I'm no Afrikaner, but to a certain point, how dry you make it is a matter of taste.

A 60W globe in the bottom of a 1ft square box with air holes top & bottom dries my biltong to the characteristic slightly squishy firm not rock hard texture that I like in about 3 days. But I think what is critical is that you are drying the outside of the pieces within the first day. My lamp is invisible to the meat & I have never had mould issues.

I never thought to put a thermometer in there to check, It just seems to work!

BTW has anyone seen "Into the Wild" ?

I'd had a few beers on Thursday night and read this topic.
I was inspired.
Bought a dehydrator online on Thurs night, shipped Friday so should be here tomorrow.
Bought some nice steak today, and have just made up the marinade and put the steak in it. It is sitting nicely in the fridge. Did some searches and found some Youtube and Foodtv links and came up with the following marinade:

For 1kg of Steak;

2/3 cup Worcestershie sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup bourbon
1 tbsp Smoky Bourbon marinade
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp tobasco
1 tsp sour cream and chives
1 tsp garlic salt
pinch smoked sea salt
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp chilli flakes

Tasted the marinade and it is awesome. Great heat, but not over the top. That nice addictive level of heat.
The sour cream and chives and garlic salt spices were in sub for onion powder which we'd run out of.

Looking forward to firing up the new dehydrator tomorrow night and having a whole bunch of jerky for morning tea over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the inspiration AHB'ers.

Doc

Drool, drool, drool.... :icon_drool2:

Great recipe Doc. I was checking out stainless smoking units the other day after all the delicacies that AndrewQLD has served up at Batz' place.

InCider.

The dehydrator showed up at 3pm, and I had it cleaned loaded and on at 3:25pm.
The smell of the meat dehydrating after marinating for 24hours in a bourbon chilli marinade is awesome.
Can't wait to taste. Hopefully it only takes a few hours to dehydrate.

Doc

Making my first jerky today - it's marinating in the fridge as I type and I cant wait to get it in the oven tomorrow (I should probably leave it for 24 hours in the marinade but....)

1/2 cup soy
2 tbls of worcestishire
2 - 3 tbls wild turkey
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp smokey paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp ceyanne pepper
1/2 tsp ginger powder
salt and pepper

900 grams of corned beef, all fat removed and sliced long and lean

go into the oven at 90 degrees until done and probably sprinkled with some chilli flakes for good measure.

90 degrees the right temp??

i reckon if you are gonna have the temp that high make sure its sliced real thin otherwise it will be powdery dry on the outside and under done on the inside which will be ok for a few days but then it will sweat heaps. i'd maybe have it at 90 for a hour or so then back down to approx 50 for the duration.. try kangaroo next! thats my favourite!

Merc

As you are basically using the same method as me, except I slice a bit thicker, about 5mm, 90 should be Ok but 80 would prob be a bit better.

Of course as it is thinner it wont take as long in the oven. I usually have it in the oven for at least 6 hrs.

Merc

As you are basically using the same method as me, except I slice a bit thicker, about 5mm, 90 should be Ok but 80 would prob be a bit better.

Of course as it is thinner it wont take as long in the oven. I usually have it in the oven for at least 6 hrs.

I had the jerky in the oven at about 75 for 3 1/2 hours and it was done (oven turned off and they sat in the open oven for another couple of hours as I wasnt home) - still moist and tender not dry - chewy but very delicious!! I may use low salt soy next time as I found the initial salt hit a bit much from the soy - I didnt take into account the salt content of the corned sliver side. Will be making this again soon!

Anyone doing a pork jerky???

pork jerky... YUMMMM! never tried it!

Try Tamari....

Tamari I use for the kids dinner so I have some and will use it.

I had some pork jerky that was done in a Malay type chilli satay sweet marinade and it was fantastic - made by a butcher in Newcastle. Anyone with a recipe?

pork jerky... YUMMMM! never tried it!

Try Tamari....
We used to drive past a guy everyday, that sold jerky on the side of the road in San Antonio (TX) with a big sign for Turkey Jerky, which amused us greatly.

Puts a whole new swing on turkey slapping!

Made my second lot of jerky but used Tamari instead of soy and added some maple syrup to give it a little sweetness. Dried in the oven at 75 degrees for about four hours. The silverside is certainly adding a big hit of salt so I will use a different cut next time. Btw the silverside is marinated or pickled in a brine that also has pineapple juice in it. That is the way my butcher does it.

The jerky is/was terrific and didnt last long - it never does!

Different butchers have different brine recipies, maybe you couls soak the silver side overnight to draw some salt out

I just use store bought generic stuff, and its salt level is fairly low compared to some of the butchers brined silverside

Back