A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Andrew

Like he look of the dryer, couple of questions.
Do you have anything over the light to stop drips hitting it?
Have you done anything to the wood to seal it; just with raw food? (I realise the meat shouldn't touch it, but just in case)

I ended up making one from a platic storage box with a pc fan cut int the lid.

QldKev

Hii Kev,
No I haven't sealed it yet and there is a piece of wood that covers up the light. I didn't get any drips at all this time but the meat, after 24hrs marinating had lost a lot of it's moisture and was pretty dry when I hung it.
I just tried one of the thinner bits and it tastes great (after 24hrs in the dryer), the texture of the meat is not tough and chewy but firm and dry at the same time. I used some bicarb in the marinate so I assume this helped to tenderise the meat quit a bit.

Do you make Biltong/jerky often?

Cheers
Andrew

Hey Andrew

We make Jerky roughly every 2 weeks. Our method is quite a bit different.

Cut 100% fat free 500grms rump steak (the local stuff at $6kg) into 1cm thick x 2cm wide strips.
If the meat is very wet pat dry with paper towel.
Cover with rock salt for 20-45mins
Remove excess salt (leaving a small amount is ok)
Mix 1/4 vinegar to 3/4 water and soak meat for 15-45mins
Remove meat and pat dry with paper towel
Mix spices in mortal/pestel (eg 50% corriander seeds, 40% gara masala and 10% chilli powder)
Lightly cover meat with spice mix
Place into dryer.

Our dryer (the jerky machine) is a platic storage bin 28L
Holes (size of 5cent peice) drilled around the outside edges at the bottom
PC fan mounted in the centre of the lid, with an old 12v mobile phone power pack to run it. (depending on fan speed you may need two fans)
Chrome wire shelf mounted horizontally about half way up.
We just lay the strips onto the shelf, ensuring they do not touch each other.

I found to many spices mixed together on it looses distinct flavours; I tend to keep the spice mix fairly simple. You may want to lightly brown the corriander seeds prior to crushing.

I plan on putting flywire over the holes around the bottom one day; but have noticed flys never try and get in from there as the holes are sucking air, and all the smell is vented at the fan outlet.

QldKev

I made this one today Tony - 2 apples, one green lemon + zest, 2 onions, a bag of habaneros and other assorted chillis. I added 5 cloves, of which I have found 3, and sea salt, 3 spoons of ginger and the same of garlic. And a dollop of pickle lime. Boiled and about to be blended. Used a bit of white vinegar. House smells great!

I ditched the sugar this time. I would love to make a sauce like nandos.

Cheers

Sean.
P3040011.jpg

P3040014.jpg
P3040016.jpg

InCider - I have just chopped and popped a sauce on the stove top as per the above! Will let you know the result!

Cheers - Mike

InCider - I have just chopped and popped a sauce on the stove top as per the above! Will let you know the result!

Cheers - Mike

Great stuff Mike. let me know how it goes... I am going to Screwtops this afternoon for a pickup of a ice cream container of Habaneros - for my special Hops Sauce I'm going to make.. he ehe hehehehe... :D

Sean.

PS the one I made is the pics is so bloody hot! I need to mix it with mayo to eat it now... it's getting hotter!

I used ALL the seeds too...

Great stuff Mike. let me know how it goes... I am going to Screwtops this afternoon for a pickup of a ice cream container of Habaneros - for my special Hops Sauce I'm going to make.. he ehe hehehehe... :D

Sean.

PS the one I made is the pics is so bloody hot! I need to mix it with mayo to eat it now... it's getting hotter!

I used ALL the seeds too...

Sean - Yep, I'm all in too :beer: . Couple of questions:

- How long did you simmer for?
- How have you stored it?

Cheers - Mike

Sean - Yep, I'm all in too :beer: . Couple of questions:

- How long did you simmer for?
- How have you stored it?

Cheers - Mike
:D
Hey Mike - got pics?

I simmered until it all went really limp and a gluey mess. Then 10 mins or so, flameout and let it sit for an hour ( I got distracted ) and stored in 2 x coopers Pet. I have a pop top on the bottle and it lives in the fridge... works a treat.

Sean.

Yep... phruck, it's nice and hot. Tastes good too, nice and neutral (ie.. not too salty or sweet).

Chers - Mike

PS - excuse the horrific state of my BBQ, it's due for a rather heavy clean this weekend..

sauce2.jpg

sauce3.jpg

Sean, all's good for this arvo, meeting cancelled. Andrew, that stilton looked the goods, send me a PM can put you onto raw milk supply, not far from Batz place.

Yep... phruck, it's nice and hot. Tastes good too, nice and neutral (ie.. not too salty or sweet).

Chers - Mike

Excellent! It looks like it's all going to mush... mmm i'm going to eat some chilli sauce NOW! :D

I have no huge hangups about the amounts of any of the adjuncts to the chillies. All you can taste is chillies in the end, with tints of this and that...

Sean.

Sean, all's good for this arvo, meeting cancelled. Andrew, that stilton looked the goods, send me a PM can put you onto raw milk supply, not far from Batz place.

No worries Mike - have to meet the Mother Out Law at 3.30 - at Clown Town so I might meet up before or after that - will see how it goes...

We're all excited here as we may have another 'brewer' hatching in 9 months... all tests so far are +ve. :beerbang:

Sean.

No worries Mike - have to meet the Mother Out Law at 3.30 - at Clown Town so I might meet up before or after that - will see how it goes...

We're all excited here as we may have another 'brewer' hatching in 9 months... all tests so far are +ve. :beerbang:

Sean.

Good news, fingers crossed for you both and the hatchling. Will you be driving? Maybe you could be dropped off and then picked up on the return, suggesting this may cause scratches and loss of fur.

Good news, fingers crossed for you both and the hatchling. Will you be driving? Maybe you could be dropped off and then picked up on the return, suggesting this may cause scratches and loss of fur.

Loss of fur? I went and told her what I wanted to do (goto Pete's then stay at yours for a wee while before this party we're going to and she said she was going to suggest it! I'll text when I'm at Pete's.

Sean.

Have bumped this over to the stylish new beer food forum since it fits here better.

just attempted my first jerky (in lieu of cheese, im not sure how time intensive the cheese is to make so im waiting for a full free day). made jerky with
500g kangaroo sliced salted and soaked for 45 mins in
200ml rice vinegar
150ml red wine vinegar (probably could have used less of the vinegars)
teaspoon paprika
desertspoon pepperberries
splash of light soy
then into the oven at 80-100 degrees for 5 hours.

jerky1.JPG
jerky.JPG

ate it last night when i came back from the pub and im not dead yet (although my mrs almost killed me when i suggested she try some!) so I think it is a success!

just attempted my first jerky (in lieu of cheese, im not sure how time intensive the cheese is to make so im waiting for a full free day). made jerky with
500g kangaroo sliced salted and soaked for 45 mins in
200ml rice vinegar
150ml red wine vinegar (probably could have used less of the vinegars)
teaspoon paprika
desertspoon pepperberries
splash of light soy
then into the oven at 80-100 degrees for 5 hours.

View attachment 13324
View attachment 13323

ate it last night when i came back from the pub and im not dead yet (although my mrs almost killed me when i suggested she try some!) so I think it is a success!
That looks delicious capretta! :D

OMG where has jerky been all my life.

I'm 30, and I only just tried jerky on Wednesday. Since then, I've tried three different ones (nobbys, jacks' and currently about to finish a pack of bilton stokkies I only bought about an hour ago!) and I'm preferrign the nobby's spicy jerky. The biltong is a bit too tough for my liking, and the jack's was just really average IMHO.

Looks like on top of buying my AG gear and starting to make cheese, I'll be making jerky too!

Cheers,

Jason.

hahah welcome to the dark ( and dried ) side. it has become a bit of a staple at my work as im on trains i dont get a chance to refrigerate and may be on board for up to 12 hours at a time.. shame i cant have a beer with it! try kangaroo jerky, i recommend it above beef myself..

My favourite Biltong comes from these guys: http://www.proteafoods.com/

I just LOVE the peri-peri biltong stockies.

Problem is it's so damn expensive!

If I could make some that tasted the same, I'd be doing it all the time!

Its easy to make

Get some corned silver side, trim off the fat, cut into 5mm slices
marinate in soy/honey/chillie/whatever
sit overnight

Place in oven set at 90*c ( no higher ) and let dry for about 6 hrs

Back