A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Wooden spoon would be perfect

Dont forget to keep the temp UNDER 90*c and ABOVE 70*c....you want to dry it, not cook it and that temp range will kill any nasties as well
Thanks Stu, just doing a bit of a test with the oven now to see how well I can keep it around 80. Fan on or off? Was going to use Steves recipe but as per usual I suck at sticking to a recipe, went with this

4 tbsn Soy sauce
6 tbsn Vinegar
4 tbsn Worcester sauce
1 tbsn brandy
3/4 tbsn ginger
2 tspn garam masala
2 tspn fresh ground coriander seed
1 tspn Cinnamon powder
1/2 tspn sage powder
1/2 tspn cayenne pepper
3/4 tspn smoked paprika
1 tspn crushed chilli flakes
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper

Will sprinkle with chilli flakes before hitting the oven.

Cheers

How good is this. Should have made this years ago.

2013-01-26 14.30.20.jpg

bradsbrew said:
I second that....took my little trial batch to work for a snack and ate the whole lot before lunch it was so good. Such a simple idea but yummy results. Gonna get more one on my next days off :)

I just read back through this entire thread, what a way to kill half an hour before bed.

pint of lager said:
Hands up who has tried Dave's Insanity Sauce, or the Megadeath sauce?
Someone brought a sampler pack of Blairs hot sauce into work recently. Serendipity provided my with cold pizza, so I elected to use that as a base to taste the range.

When I opened the bottle of After Death, I shook a few drops onto my slice of pizza and thought the viscosity of the sauce looked a little odd. It was approximately as I took a bite of the slice that one of my coworkers said "Hey, I think you need to shake that bottle up. All the chilli oil is floating on the surface.".

I did all the cliches. Split seconds of pure panic as I wondered how high the rising heat would go. Corresponding rising redness of the face. I drank all the milk meant for coffee. I cried, I danced, I saw through time. Then, thank the beer gods, I threw the rest of the slice in the bin otherwise I would have done it again.

haha the chiliheads trajectory starts with halepeno pizzas, then hot curries etc till the culmination in ruinous amounts of extract sauce with the resulting abdominal agony moving you to pure chili sauces using superhot chilis. extract is imo rarely too much fun unless someone else is eating it! :icon_drool2:

Usual corned silverside jerky

Boston Style
For 2.3kg of meat (pre drying)
1 cup soy
1/3cup worcestersire
1.5 tsp black pepper
1 finely chopped onion
5 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger.

Marinate for at least 14 hrs then dry howwverr u like. Im oven drying at 60C for about 10hrs.
Will then rub half with chilli and leave half plain.

Convection box anyone? Makes it easy to dry whole steaks and uses a fraction of the power.

I read bits of this thread but it's a long one so I apologise if you've heard all this before.

Anyway, convection boxes are cheap and easy to make if you can cut reasonably straight, and they work really well. Easier to explain with a picture so let me know if you want me to draw one. It's a box with holes in the bottom and the top. A heat source in the bottom draws dry air into the box, and the air travels up past the meat on its way out. The hot air rises and creates a convection current.

There are some really interesting recipes here. My favourite is:
1. don't use crap meat. I use nice long topside steaks. My convection box can take 6 or 7.
1. pack the meat in rock salt for 1 hour exactly
2. scrape the salt off with the back of a knife
3. dip the meat in apple cider vinegar, you can soak it if you want
4. coated with 3:1 mixture of cracked coriander seeds and cracked pepper
5. hang to dry in a convection box with an 80watt incandescent bulb for 51/2 days for dry biltong that's just a little red in the middle if you like it that way. (lower wattage for longer is better otherwise.)
6. don't eat all the fat even though you want to

Edit: the convection box isn't quite the same as a dry wind on the veld and the apple cider vinegar isn't quite the same as saltpetre but this recipe makes good biltong.
in case you're interested, the difference between biltong and jerky, as far as i can tell, is that biltong is good. Also, biltong is cured with vinegar while jerky is cured with salt.

Let me know if you know what the difference between the two is. I'm sure there is one.

There is almost a treatise on diff between biltong and jerky on here. And yes peopke use convection boxes. Theres even plans on here. Horses for courses.

Ps fat should ve removed. It goes rancid almost regardless of how u cure and dry.

Very few peopke use saltpeter anymore for obvious reasons. Uf they want to use a cure then there are safeer alternatives I persobally dont use addidative cures as theres no need and I prefer it. Horses for courses again.

Actually ive pretty much just rehashed my previous posts.

in case you're interested, the difference between biltong and jerky, as far as i can tell, is that biltong is good.

Let me know if you know what the difference between the two is. I'm sure there is one.

I'll be running 15kg of meat through the smoker for Jerky next week.

Send me a PM for my address, send me a satchel with your name and address and i will send you jerky for free.

On the proviso that you report back to this thread and confirm or deny your statement above. :D :super:

citymorgue2 said:
Usual corned silverside jerky
Boston Style
For 2.3kg of meat (pre drying)
1 cup soy
1/3cup worcestersire
1.5 tsp black pepper
1 finely chopped onion
5 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger.
Marinate for at least 14 hrs then dry howwverr u like. Im oven drying at 60C for about 10hrs.
Will then rub half with chilli and leave half plain.
This stuff isnt even finished drying yet and its delicious. Half dried half koist slightly too moist to be biltong but its great. A great flavou r profile. Highly recommend. Might even do a few roasts and steaks marinated in this.

Wont last long. The 6yr old and 19mth old are already stealing it. The 4yr old wont try it thank god otherwise id have none

punkin said:
I'll be running 15kg of meat through the smoker for Jerky next week.

Send me a PM for my address, send me a satchel with your name and address and i will send you jerky for free.

On the proviso that you report back to this thread and confirm or deny your statement above. :D :super:
Punkin, that's an offer I'll have to take up. I'm a man of honour when it comes to dried meat products and I'm yet to find a jerky i dig.

citymorgue2 said:
There is almost a treatise on diff between biltong and jerky on here. And yes peopke use convection boxes. Theres even plans on here. Horses for courses.

Ps fat should ve removed. It goes rancid almost regardless of how u cure and dry.

Very few peopke use saltpeter anymore for obvious reasons. Uf they want to use a cure then there are safeer alternatives I persobally dont use addidative cures as theres no need and I prefer it. Horses for courses again.

Actually ive pretty much just rehashed my previous posts.
citymorgue2, thanks for that. I'll dig a little deeper. I don't use additives either. Just crapping on.

bradsbrew said:
You have my permission to bring that to the next swap ;)

Yes, remove as much fat as possible. I always look for corned meat that has no fat veins inside the meat. Then just trim off the excess fat from the outer side

Pushed 24 kilo of topside through my cold smoker this week for jerky.

Still haven't got that satchel Anton :ph34r:

AntonW said:
Convection box anyone? Makes it easy to dry whole steaks and uses a fraction of the power.

<<snip>>

Have a read many pages back, I run an air drying box without heat. I just run a pc fan on a 12v power supply to draw the air through the box. A lot less power than an 80w globe.
80w X 24hr day x 5 1/2 days = 10560w or 10.5kwh. at 25c kwh is about $4. (in my head I pictured that being a bit more)
A pc fan is about 500mA. So power would be a cents.

My understanding of Biltong Vs Jerky is Jerky has been heat treat to ensure it's safer for consumption. So Jerky ends up dryer, whilst Biltong is softer and still meaty red in the middle.

QldKev

269272_10151832544977516_253405532_n.jpg

this popped up on FB so I thought I would share it here, looks really nice

Mercs Own said:
let us know how it turns out and show us some pics. I would be interested in making this recipe with pickled pork instead of the steak. The only thing I would add to this recipe would be garlic powder but that is because I cant seem to cook anything with out garlic!!! Roast garlic icecream anyone??

Probably the longest response time to a question - I just stumbled across your response when reading through the thread again. I was previously on here as Newbee(r) and after a long break decided I needed to return with a new slightly less dicky name. The flavouring in the mango chilli jerky recipe was bang on, but the texture from the mango pulp was fibrous and took the edge off it. No pics sorry but I intend to do the recipe again with mango juice not fresh mango, to avoid the fibre issue. Also needed a bit more brown sugar and more chilli, to my liking it should have been a bit more in your face flavour bursting at the seems than it was. Would suggest marinating for 48 not 24 hours.

AndrewQLD said:
Did you upload that photo from your phone Brad?
Its an ipad, I have to rotate and save then open that pic and rotate back to original and save. Surely there is an easier way.

Latest posts

Back