A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve.. i have been slack and havent sent you any yet in return for the sauce you send...more will be made very soon, and your sauce goes very nicely on it

Not a drama - she's right.
Cheers
Steve

well not enough time to put a lot of thought into a batch and the missus cooked dinner with the veal i had out for the jerky. not that im complaining it was magnificent veal.

Anyway quick bashup recipe below'

1.4kg rump (all fat and sinew trimmed)
5tbs Ketchup Manis (sweet indonesian soy)
4 tbs whistshire sauce
4-5 tbs honey
1 tblsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh minced garlic
3 tbsp fresh minced ginger
1 tbsp cayanne pepper
2 tbsp Chinese Five Spice
2tbp white vinager from a jar of pickled onions.
2 teasp sesame oil
4 big sprigs of dried rosemary from the garden.

going into the oven tonight.

well not enough time to put a lot of thought into a batch and the missus cooked dinner with the veal i had out for the jerky. not that im complaining it was magnificent veal.

Anyway quick bashup recipe below'

1.4kg rump (all fat and sinew trimmed)
5tbs Ketchup Manis (sweet indonesian soy)
4 tbs whistshire sauce
4-5 tbs honey
1 tblsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh minced garlic
3 tbsp fresh minced ginger
1 tbsp cayanne pepper
2 tbsp Chinese Five Spice
2tbp white vinager from a jar of pickled onions.
2 teasp sesame oil
4 big sprigs of dried rosemary from the garden.

going into the oven tonight.

Sounds tasty indeed.

cheers

Browndog

Hey CityMorgue2

How did that turn out? There are a couple of ingredients in combination there that make me a little nervous to try without your review.

I have a slab of silverside awaiting being recreated as jerky goodness and the recipe looks rather excellent.... rather keen to try your style.

Your choice of Kecap Manis is probably a master stroke - excellent balance of flavours for anything that is cooked just to that critical point just before burning / caramelisation.

Cheers - Fermented.

EDIT: Fixed speeling error.

might give Merc's a bang this week. maybe instead of pork, use veal? hmmmm veal.
Give the pork a go. If you take Merc's recipe and tweak it to your tastebuds, it certainly rocks. Even with the lighter taste of Aussie pork, it's a really interesting diversion compared to the commercial beef product. The veal may be a touch too tender to take the hours of drying. That said, love to hear how it goes.

funny you should mention this. I made pork spare ribs and pork rashers last night with these flavours. marinated for 24hrs.
lol... that recipe is a classical Cantonese combination of ingredients dating back about 300 -400 years and still in common use today! If you reached that recipe on your own, you're a natural. Neil Perry - stand aside! How did the sesame oil go? Usually it's used in a different manner, but am well curious to know what result it gave you.

Cheers - Fermented.

PS - Sorry all - shouldn't post twice in a row in the same thread, but am catching up on a month's absence from the hallowed halls of AHB. :D

the recipe posted in #262 was an absolute success. I made it for a poker night. all gone. most of them liked it better than my original recipe. go figure. even guys who dont like jerky liked it. I might go the other way and do the most basic recipe then slowly add things to see what items (if any) are superfluous.

Havent gotten around to making the pork jerky yet. must do. im all out. will do so in the next week.

re ribs/rashers
OMG they were good. so tasty. the faaty bits on the rashers went a little rubbery on the 2nd night (but pork fat/skin does that). it was still bloody good. The ribs were excellent. Not really sure what impact the seaseme oil had. overall it was a sticky caramalised chewy tender magnificent mess.

Yep... phruck, it's nice and hot. Tastes good too, nice and neutral (ie.. not too salty or sweet).

Chers - Mike

PS - excuse the horrific state of my BBQ, it's due for a rather heavy clean this weekend..

Oh goddam yum... The cooking Gods blessed our house this arvo. Mashed up another batch of Incider's Chilli sauce - it's bloody fantastic, awesome flavour. Also popped on a few kgs of lamb and sorted out Tony's Lamb Curry recipe - it's simmering away as we speak.

The Domestic Goddess has prepared me a strawberry cocktail (we found some late season strawberrys today) too. It's all good in the hood...

Cheers - MIke

:icon_chickcheers:

Gotta make some jerky, gotta make some jerky!

Just went to the local butchers for some lamb, treated myself to some chilli jerky.... Yum! My youngest piped up. He's only 2. Can I have some turkeeeeee. I thought yeah buckleys he'll not eat it. Fark! Hes eating it like it was a bag of chips and its covered in chilli seeds! Kids never fail to surprise me. Can you tell im a proud father!

Cheers
Steve

Making some Jerkey on Sunday. So you reckon corned topside is the go? Sliced about 3-4mms thick by 3-4cms wide?
Cheers
Steve

dont slice it into strips untill you have pulled it from the oven. Make the paices 3-4mm thick and cure them whole. If you slice them into strips before you dry it, they will shribk to the point that they will be like peices of string

dont slice it into strips untill you have pulled it from the oven. Make the paices 3-4mm thick and cure them whole. If you slice them into strips before you dry it, they will shribk to the point that they will be like peices of string

Oh rightyo!
Cheers
Steve

MMMM...cat tyope need beer :ph34r:

Dont forget to keep your oven below 80-90*...you want to dry it, not cook it

MMMM...cat tyope need beer :ph34r:

Dont forget to keep your oven below 80-90*...you want to dry it, not cook it

Will do

Edit....and a kilo of Corned Silverside Beef is the way to go?

It will take at least 6hrs

Make sure you put a tray under it to catch the drips, or SWMBO will offer you a permanent room outside :rolleyes:

Making some Jerkey on Sunday. So you reckon corned topside is the go? Sliced about 3-4mms thick by 3-4cms wide?
Cheers
Steve

I slice 3 - 4mm thick by about 2cm - 3cm wide then marinate for 1 - 3 days and then put them in a slow oven until dried to the level I am after. I will keep an eye on them and turn them occassionally and also move them around the rack if some are drying more rapidly than others. I will also take the ones that are ready out and continue to dry the others.

Corned silverside is good - corned pork is good too. Leave the oven door ajar so that you have a nice airflow going on also.

As Ducatiboy Stu says 6 - 8 hours and you got jerky!!

I slice 3 - 4mm thick by about 2cm - 3cm wide then marinate for 1 - 3 days and then put them in a slow oven until dried to the level I am after. I will keep an eye on them and turn them occassionally and also move them around the rack if some are drying more rapidly than others. I will also take the ones that are ready out and continue to dry the others.

Corned silverside is good - corned pork is good too. Leave the oven door ajar so that you have a nice airflow going on also.

As Ducatiboy Stu says 6 - 8 hours and you got jerky!!

Thanks Mercs

My little babies are now marinading. Went to the butchers this morning for a kilo of corned silverside. I was on a mission. There was heaps all packaged up in plastic, all weighed and priced. I chose the one I wanted and asked the butcher if he'd slice it for me into 3-4mm slices. He looked at me as if I was a simpleton. He said, its not cooked you cant eat it if I slice it for you. The look on his face was quite insulting. I asked again politely if he could slice it for me. He walked off with a big sigh! I was expecting him to stick it in the big ham slicing slicer thing. Nope he just got his knife out and did it manually.....and a lot thicker than I asked for. I brought it home and sliced his slices in half and cleaned it up. Next step I laid down paper towels and basically laid the meat down and squashed the crap out of them. The liquid that came out was amazing. Next up was the marinade. After reading this whole thread (included the cheese distraction) I got an idea of what to do plus my love for chilli sauces and indian food. I ended up with this:

The dregs of a jar of tomato chilli sauce which I added 4 tbspns of white vinegar, shook it up really well
1tspn Chilli Powder
1tspn Garam Masala
1tspn Mango Powder
1tspn Coriander Powder
1tspn Crushed Garlic
1tspn Crushed lemon grass
1tbspm Tamarind pulp

Mixed everything together and poured on top and mixed well. Once they're on the racks I will sprinkle with home made dried chillie flakes and dry at 80-90 for 6-7 hrs tomorrow

Will let you know how they go!
Cheers
Steve

6 hours? Wow - that's so long... chances are it will become very, very tough!

If you have a digital thermometer, please check your oven temp and get it stable before you start. A mate tried to do it without and had some rather lovely bovine charcoal at the end of his effort. Oh well.

At 70 - 75C, four hours to five hours will yield a good quality with a little residual moisture in the meat. If you can get it to 80C and hold for an hour or so then there is some positive antimicrobial outcome from that - but dont' forget to wind back to 70C-ish for the remainder of the process.

Have a squiz over here: http://yeastygoodness.blogspot.com/2009/03...sian-style.html - I documented one of the earlier batches.

I used Merc's recipe as the basis for that batch. However, I've found that long marination is not necessary. If anything, it only enhances the uptake of the salt in the soy / kecap manis / etc. Yes, salting firms and tenderises but without a washing stage it just makes meat too salty.

In developing a faster turnaround coating (because it sure isn't a marinade!), I went for kecap manis, chilli powder, fresh garlic very finely minced (to suit personal taste), peanut butter (not too much else it tastes too strongly of peanuts for a couple of days until it matures), 2 - 3 tbsp tamarind paste, your preferred kind of chilli paste (sambal oelek or lao gan ma chilli oil), dried chilli flakes, Szechuan pepper pounded with salt / pepper... Choose the flavour that best suits your palate.

Lotsa luck!

Cheers - Fermented.

In the oven drying:

IMG_0224.JPG

...and ready to eat:

IMG_0225.JPG

Simple!
Cheers
Steve

Seeing as the last lot only lasted 3 days im making some more today.

1.7kg Corned Silverside marinaded over night in:

4tbspns Soy Sauce
2tbspns Tamarind Sauce
1tbspn Chilli oil
6tbspns Malt vinegar
4tbspns Worcester Sauce
4tbspns Chilli/Garlic Sauce
1tbspn Ginger
2tspns Mango Powder
2tspns Garam Masala powder
2tspns Coriander powder
1tspn Hot chilli powder
1tspns Cinnamon powder
Chilli flakes sprinkled liberally on top.

Cheers
Steve

Back