A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The batch I made yesterday has a slight metallic taste. Could it be from the racks in the oven?

bump

At the recent sydney food and wine show, I had some biltong which gave me the inspiration for this recipe. Putting in the dehydrator this morning. With the cost of the mangoes it comes out at around $18kg at the moment - I checked online and the shop sells it for $40 per 500g. Granted this is more jerky given it is cut into strips, marinated in a ziplock overnight and then dehydrator rather than air dried in one piece, but fingers crossed will give good results.

Mango and Chilli Jerky

1.2 kg skirt steak
1 tbs ground coriander
1 1/2 large mangoes pulped
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried chilli
fresh thyme - about 3 tsp
2 tbs brown sugar
1 heaped tbs salt

bump

At the recent sydney food and wine show, I had some biltong which gave me the inspiration for this recipe. Putting in the dehydrator this morning. With the cost of the mangoes it comes out at around $18kg at the moment - I checked online and the shop sells it for $40 per 500g. Granted this is more jerky given it is cut into strips, marinated in a ziplock overnight and then dehydrator rather than air dried in one piece, but fingers crossed will give good results.

Mango and Chilli Jerky

1.2 kg skirt steak
1 tbs ground coriander
1 1/2 large mangoes pulped
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried chilli
fresh thyme - about 3 tsp
2 tbs brown sugar
1 heaped tbs salt

let us know how it turns out and show us some pics. I would be interested in making this recipe with pickled pork instead of the steak. The only thing I would add to this recipe would be garlic powder but that is because I cant seem to cook anything with out garlic!!! Roast garlic icecream anyone??

Making beef jerky in the UDS this time:
2kg Topside roast:
jerky1.jpg

Cut up into steaks:
jerky2.jpg

Part-frozen ...
jerky3.jpg

... so it's easier to slice thinly:
jerky4.jpg

(Adapted from Screwtop's recipe earlier in thread)
1/2 cup Soy
3 spoons Worcester
1 heaped spoon of dark brown sugar
1tsp Garlic & Onion powder
1/2tsp Pepper
sprinkle of salt
jerky5.jpg

jerky8.jpg

(A wetter version of what QldKev posted earlier)
3 spoons each Apple Cider Vinegar, Soy & Worcestershire
2tsp Garlic powder
1tsp Coriander seeds
1/2tsp Pepper
1tsp Garam masala
3x Jalapeno & 6 Birdseye chili (dried, home grown, crushed)
jerky6.jpg

jerky7.jpg

In to smoke:
jerky9.jpg

And was done in a few hours:
jerky10.jpg

Make your jerky from corned meat/silverside it is the best.

Put the silver side in the freezer so it becomes firm, then slice 1/4" thick. ( freezing it makes it easier to get constistant slices )

Then marinade overnight, rub, then put into oven on racks with a tray underneath at set oven to about 80-90*c. will take 6-8hrs to dry.

I allways cut into strips after it is dry, if you do it before and cut them to thin when it dries it will turn into string

I couldn't just read this and not have a go! Found some venison which I thought was for stewing so defrosted it....turned out to be good steaks! Oops. So just sliced one big one up and made a simple marinade of soy, worcestershire, honey, garlic, chilli flakes and paprika for a trial batch.

Drying off...
20130125_112329.jpg

In the oven...
20130125_112710.jpg

Just keeping an eye on the temp....can't wait to try it...smells yummo!

petesbrew said:
I heard of one chili sauce available over in USA where you had to sign a waiver before you bought it. Apparently a toothpick dipped in this small jar would give a bowl of salsa a decent kick!

Shot Duck, you're a mad man. A bag of chillis?

While we're on food, does anyone have any good bbq beer-marinade recipes? I have yet to try my homebrew in one.
Maddog 357

http://www.maddog357.com/

And yes. It is that hot.

As far as I know, it's the hottet chili sauce which isn't an extract/essence

AndrewQLD said:
Jupiter, sounds great, let us know how the jerky tastes.

InCider I can't wait to tuck into those Rellenos, I am dipping into some Habanero Salsa at the moment, nice and hot :eek: .

I am also tucking into my Stilton cheese, only 4 weeks old but tasting great already, I will bring some down to the Bat cave for anyone into cheeses.
attachicon.gif
attachment
attachicon.gif
attachment

Cheers
Andrew
Old post, I know.

But that Stilton looksd amazing!

Stux said:
Maddog 357

http://www.maddog357.com/

And yes. It is that hot.

As far as I know, it's the hottet chili sauce which isn't an extract/essence
damn, yes that sauce is pretty hot, but that is definately an extract sauce or i am handing in my chilli head card.

from their website.. "

357 Mad Dog Hot Sauce 357,000 Scoville

Our “not for the faint of heart” 357 Mad Dog Hot Sauce with it’s
blend of 160,000 scoville super hot cayenne peppers, fiery hot red
habanero peppers and finally a whopping 3,000,000 scoville pepper
extract...."

capretta said:
damn, yes that sauce is pretty hot, but that is definately an extract sauce or i am handing in my chilli head card.
Do you like chilli, Cam?

Well I never...

:ph34r:

just you wait sponge, i have some chilli salt for the meet up.
:p

How would one of those convection ovens work with making jerky?

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
How would one of those convection ovens work with making jerky?
I'd imagine you still need to keep the door open to let the moisture escape somewhere... Effectively, you're using the oven as a dehydrator.

Yes, it does help to leave the oven door slightly open. You would be suprised who much moister is produced

Bonj said:
I'd imagine you still need to keep the door open to let the moisture escape somewhere... Effectively, you're using the oven as a dehydrator.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Yes, it does help to leave the oven door slightly open. You would be suprised who much moister is produced
Alrighty, will just use the oven with a wooden spoon in the door. Just making the marinade up now for an early morning kick off. Brewing beer and making jerky pretty good plan for a wet australi day.

Wooden spoon would be perfect

Dont forget to keep the temp UNDER 90*c and ABOVE 70*c....you want to dry it, not cook it and that temp range will kill any nasties as well

Latest posts

Back