$8 Kettle Element Long Term Users

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
Has anyone been using a kettle element long term in a Keggle?
If so how is it lasting?

Did you use kettle switch or bypass?

I'm just looking to use as HLT.

In water for a hlt or herms,no drama. I would not recommend it for wort contact. All mine bypass the kettle switch

Is the little spring pad thing meant to contact the pot for earth? Or is it to do with switching the kettle off at boil?

I have one on a 19L big w pot, using the switch. the spring pad thing on mine is just for the switch.

Have a look at Gash Slugg on you tube he shows you how . Worth the watch .Go to : how to install a cheap kettle element .

He wires it direct I thought the whole point was to use iec plug,

printed forms section said:
He wires it direct I thought the whole point was to use iec plug,
I agree. He seems to make it very complicated and it does not look as safe.

gap said:
I agree. He seems to make it very complicated and it does not look as safe.
Exactly what my sparky mate said when I asked him to wire it that way (he didn't end up wiring up - ran out of time when I saw him). After that I went and got a new kettle and installed it without removing anything or drilling any holes in the plastic and just used the iec plug. He had a look at it and said it was better than re-wiring it.

I agree you don't have to go that far , at least it gives you an idea what can be done . Homebrew wizard does it differently but you can get the idea and as he says you can plug those kettle cables into it .

crowmanz said:
Exactly what my sparky mate said when I asked him to wire it that way (he didn't end up wiring up - ran out of time when I saw him). After that I went and got a new kettle and installed it without removing anything or drilling any holes in the plastic and just used the iec plug. He had a look at it and said it was better than re-wiring it.
Did the same with mine,works perfectly.

Has anyone been using a kettle element long term in a Keggle?
If so how is it lasting?
Did you use kettle switch or bypass?
I'm just looking to use as HLT.
I have 2 in my kettle/Biab.
I've done 50 brews in it with no element troubles, there is a pommie brewing site that has a good deal of info on how to do it.
I can't remember it's name but it was posted by a member by the name of Big Yin ?.
image.jpg
A pic of mine ,though not a closeup it's all I have ATM I left the Led lights attached so I know if they are working, an off cut of a silicone tube is used as a shroud to protect the wiring from spills and safety as well, I use the IEC cords.
In the pic you can see the Led lights poking through the shroud,this was done by heating a nail and melting the holes to a size that suits .

Cheers spog. Is that a LOOD (legally obtained officially decommissioned) Keg?

Just wondering if the kettle elements cope with the curvature of the mounting?

Cheers spog. Is that a LOOD (legally obtained officially decommissioned) Keg?
Just wondering if the kettle elements cope with the curvature of the mounting?
The wall thickness of the keggle is less than a plastic kettle,so I gently wrapped plumbing tape around the grooved silicone washer/seal that came from the kettle to give a tighter seal this took a couple of go's to get it right but it works .
I also drilled the holes slightly smaller and filed them to a snug fitting size and checked that there were no sharp edges that would cut the sealing washer.

Latest posts

Back