60min Vs 90min Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando

Reaction score
I have done a bit of searching (probably not enough), and I still am not clear of the different results obtained by a 60min boil compared to a 90 mins boil. What's the difference?

Could someone really tell the difference in a side by side test?

I only ever boil 90 mins if I'm using a Pils malt in large quantities, as boiling for longer gets rid of the precursors to DMS found in these types of malt.

You may get away with a vigorous 60 min boil however, and remember to keep the lid off the kettle.

Cheers

I only ever boil 90 mins if I'm using a Pils malt in large quantities, as boiling for longer gets rid of the precursors to DMS found in these types of malt.
Ditto, but only if it's in an ale. SMM is the precursor, and it's found in spades in pilsner malt. The four ways to drive it off are:

- Kilning (most pale malts have a large reduction in SMM for this reason. Pilsner malt is very lightly kilned, if at all)
- Boiling (hence a 90 minute boil)
- Fast Chilling (hence one of the supposed needs for a fast cool down, with no-chilling completely flying in the face of it)
- Warm fermenting (hence little-to-no DMS in ales).

If you are warm fermenting anyway, the 90 minute boil may be redundant.

There's a good write up of this and the other advantages of the normal 60 minute boil in Principles of Brewing Science (Fix).

Another thing to mention about the 90min boil is that you can also achieve more kettle caramelisation in the process which can be a good thing if that's what you're after. Personally, I also want a 90min boil to drive off any precursors to DMS which is why I do it for anything containing those Pilsner malts.

Other than that, it's more about getting a caramel flavour into the wort if that's what I'm after. If you get that wrong though, it's dunny pour beer, too sweet and cloying. Not good. Try it and see how the beer turns out if you like! :)

Simon

Hi there,

I used to do 60 minute boils but about 50 or so brews ago switched to 90. This was mainly to do with hop additions (more and for longer) and having a bigger volume to boil. I can't say that I've noticed much difference other than in the hop character which is what I would expect.

I was a fanatical 90 minute boiler until recently but have done several 60 minute boils (UK Ales) and getting great results and a much 'fresher' taste. The hop bitterness, for example, is not so complex and smooth as a 90 min boil and a bit more in the face, and is a bit more refreshing for that. Wort still coming out crystal clear. However I still religiously do a 90 minute mash.

Am I the only person that does a 75min boil? once the boil starts I let it go 15mins then start with 60min additions etc etc.

cheers

Browndog

No that's what I do too.

+2

Also been experimenting with 45 min hop additions instead of 60.
Hard to quantitate without a side-by-side comparison but I think the bittering is a little smoother.

Another 75 minute boiler here. Let the hot break get out of the way, then in with the hops.

I have just been thinking of the benefit of the 90 min boil in the past few days and was about to start a thread myself, brando you must be psychic.

Anyhow I have been doing 90 min boils for a while now and recently I did a 60 min boil. I got started with the 90 min boil when I first used Pilsner malt and just got into a habit. I haven't noticed any difference in clarity bewteen the two can't do a taste test side by side as they were different recipes. I have detected a smoother bitterness but that could be a change in other processes also, about the same time I also started FWH additions in most of my beers.

I reckon I will split the difference and start doing 75 min boils like BD (exception to when using Pilsner malt) and see how it goes, should get a couple more boils out of the gas bottle at least.

Gavo

Also been experimenting with 45 min hop additions instead of 60.
Hard to quantitate without a side-by-side comparison but I think the bittering is a little smoother.

Anyhow I have been doing 90 min boils

I have detected a smoother bitterness but that could be a change in other processes also, about the same time I also started FWH additions in most of my beers.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work :huh:

Hmmn... I do remember when I was using a High AA hop like NS that this was the case, Like I said I have made quite a few changes since then. Looks like it's back to trying out a few changes for me and note the differences. Lets see 75 min boils and 45 min bittering hop additions are in the experiment list. Oh well I will have to empty some more kegs to make room for more trials.

Bloody craft hobby home brewing there is never an end to what can be tried out.

Gavo

Am I the only person that does a 75min boil? once the boil starts I let it go 15mins then start with 60min additions etc etc.
cheers
Browndog

Not for me, its impossible. Im a religous FWH! :beerbang:

Biggest advantage for me on a 90min boli is the extra water thru the grain bed. I've found if I drop down to a 60min boil I drop a couple of points in efficiency, it's small, but it is there.

Another 75 minute boiler here. Let the hot break get out of the way, then in with the hops.

same here, lid on, get the boil happening, take the lid off, boil the crap out of it for 15 with all 4 burners going and then back it off to a steady rolling boil for the final 60, bittering hops in and you're off and racing....

I boil for a "while" then start with the 60 min hops so guess I'm in the 75 min camp as well.

Will the 90 min boil give a darker colored beer than what beersmith suggests from the extra 15-20 min of hard boiling?

thanks
Bjorn

Will the 90 min boil give a darker colored beer than what beersmith suggests from the extra 15-20 min of hard boiling?

Of course but marginally. Unless you have a low pH which reduces the effects of wort darkening.

90min. FWH.

I use pilsener almost exclusively for my base malt and want to scare off all the butterscotch, as well as the volume reduction thing. FWHops go in as soon as the bag gets lifted and the burner goes on.

It's a procedure that has evolved through experimentation and laziness.

Latest posts

Back