60l "canoe Drum" Bulk Buy - Se Qld

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

mmmmmm...... BEEEER
Reaction score
Well, I am sucker enough to put my hand up again to organise a Pallet Qty Bulk Buy on 60L "Canoe Drums" from HERE if there is any interest. I am not sure if they are suitable as fermenters, but with the SEQ Grain Bulk Buy happeneing I thought they would be great and cost effective way to store grain in (and Dog food as well as we buy it in 18kg bags). Shipping probably won't make it $$ worthwhile so it will be limited to SEQ region and pickup.

To make it even more viable, would someone down the southside volunteer to be a pickup point for participants in that vicinity, and I can be for the Northern Suburbs.

Cost will be the listed pallet price if we can get 27 drums sold, ie $32.89 inc GST per each. Its a major saving considering they sell single units for $47 +GST.

:beer:

EDIT: plus share shipping cost to my place as a drop off point if it doesnt make it in their free delivery area, I will confirm Monday.

1. Sully - 2

If only this was in SA!!

If only they wern't such a PITA to lift! As fermenters, I mean. :)
Never thought of using them for grain storage either. I do not have a shed (More's the pity) so I find it is more space-saving for me to store grain in those rectangular storage bins that you get from Supercheap Auto, Bunnings, etc.
Good luck with the bulk buy Sully. :icon_cheers:

Pete. :beer:

Edited because I did not read Sully's post correctly ITFP.

What about these? $75.00 for five

The guy always has them so I am sure you could do a deal for more.
I would go a few anyway

http://tinyurl.com/8l6w76

Batz

I would go a few anyway

Batz

I did see those and was a bit dubious if they be ok for human food storage? I think the question has been raised here before...

I am sure they would be fine for grain storage,anyway I'll use them.

Batz

I did see those and was a bit dubious if they be ok for human food storage?

:icon_offtopic:
Define "Human" Sully?
I was always brought up to think of humans as animals as defined by my education in the '50's. Have things changed that much?
Whales, dolphins (And lots of other creatures on this earth) are now described as animals where in fact they are actually mammals or another species that we humans (?) are not familiar with.

If those bins that Batz has found are not good enough for storing your grain then just line them with a liner bag of the appropriate size.
Happy brewing.

:icon_offtopic:
Define "Human" Sully?
I was always brought up to think of humans as animals as defined by my education in the '50's. Have things changed that much?
Whales, dolphins (And lots of other creatures on this earth) are now described as animals where in fact they are actually mammals or another species that we humans (?) are not familiar with.

If those bins that Batz has found are not good enough for storing your grain then just line them with a liner bag of the appropriate size.
Happy brewing.

Haha.... I had homosapien originally and thought that may have opened up a can of worms....

Anyways, will email the ebay guy when I am in a slightly better (sober) state of mind :ph34r: and see what he can do for us and get a bit of info as well.

:icon_cheers:

Sully

I would go a few anyway

Batz

I used to work in the swimming pool industry for one of the country's major chemical manufactures. The drums this guy is selling is called a separation container that is used so that they can pack opposing packaging groups together on the same pallet. I would not want to put food or any thing that is going to go in my body or the body of some thing that I was attached to in them. Yes the chemicals are in "plastic bags" but I would not trust them they definetly are not barrier bags and 9 times out of 10 there is moisture in them and the barrel you would not use a liquid chlorine drum to no chill in would you? Go with the other company that is selling the new containers. This is not a time to be cheap! You are talking a difference of $15 a drum.

Take or leave my advice,

Rurik

I used to work in the swimming pool industry for one of the country's major chemical manufactures. The drums this guy is selling is called a separation container that is used so that they can pack opposing packaging groups together on the same pallet. I would not want to put food or any thing that is going to go in my body or the body of some thing that I was attached to in them. Yes the chemicals are in "plastic bags" but I would not trust them they definetly are not barrier bags and 9 times out of 10 there is moisture in them and the barrel you would not use a liquid chlorine drum to no chill in would you? Go with the other company that is selling the new containers. This is not a time to be cheap! You are talking a difference of $15 a drum.

Take or leave my advice,

Rurik

Thanks for the input Rurik, pretty sound advice.

I suppose the major questions are, does chlorine leech into the plastics and how welll can it wash out. Not trying to start a debate or anything, just would like everyone to be better informed so they can make a better decision. I would hate to see a flood of posts saying 'My Beer tastes like Chlorine', or the untimely demise of a Member.

Me personally, I am with you Rurik, new is the way to go. Although the Ebay seller states use for feed drum, I still wouldn't use it for the dog's food unless I can guarantee it was 100% clean and free from the chemicals and fit enough to store food for homosapien consumption. A liner bag is another option, as TP suggested, but where to source and ultimately they are still not 100% effective as the can split etc (assuming you are talking about plastic bag liners). My 2c anyways.

TP you have a point about the crates as they are easier to stack etc. My experience with crates is the one you want is always on the bottom :rolleyes: , but thats just me.

Cheers

Sully

EDIT: Another thing to consider, for both drums, is I did say they may not be suitable as a fermenter, but has anyone used these particular units as one so there is that option as well.

Slighty off-topic.

Those square Brewcraft DME drums that you get from your LHBS (If you're lucky) are very handy. They hold over 2\3rds of a sack & have an airtight lid.

Sully, there is a guy who advertises in the weekend shopper, he is at Corinda, he sells 44G drums with removable tops, you know the kind, they are fixed with a clamp, anyway, they are great for storing grain, I think he charges $12.50 each

cheers

Browndog

Sully, there is a guy who advertises in the weekend shopper, he is at Corinda, he sells 44G drums with removable tops, you know the kind, they are fixed with a clamp, anyway, they are great for storing grain, I think he charges $12.50 each

cheers

Browndog
Sounds the go if you have the space. I have to stick with the 60L, if SWMBO sees the 44 she'd flip.

I will look into that also and see if he does the 60L too.

Cheers

I am sure they would be fine for grain storage,anyway I'll use them.

Batz
Yeah i've got five of these for grain storage, probably gonna pick up another 5 as some mice/rats have moved in.

Yeah i've got five of these for grain storage, probably gonna pick up another 5 as some mice/rats have moved in.

Kram, how did you clean them and is there any residual chlorine smell?

Just a thought, chlorine dissipates in pools with the heat from the sun, if these drums are filled with just water and left outside for a week or so, would that be an effective way to get rid of the chlorine? Call me an idiot and correct me if I am way off the mark.

Cheers

Sully

I use 20L chlorine drums when I go camping. I rinse them a couple of times, then fill them to the top and leave them a couple of days open outside. They shouldn't retain any scent, as has been pointed out, chlorine evaporates out anyway. Plus those of you on town water are ingesting chlorine daily anyway.

TTBOMK there is information on this site that leaving the empty drum in the sun until the smell is well & truly gone works ok.
If I'm wrong I'm sure I will be corrected. :)

TP :beer:

Kram, how did you clean them and is there any residual chlorine smell?

Just a thought, chlorine dissipates in pools with the heat from the sun, if these drums are filled with just water and left outside for a week or so, would that be an effective way to get rid of the chlorine? Call me an idiot and correct me if I am way off the mark.

Cheers

Sully
Exactly what your thoughts are. I washed them with water a few times, chucked 'em outside in the sun + rain for a week and they smell like plastic again!

Gooday
In 1999 when a lot of people were haveing a pink fit about the Milleumn bug one of my customers bought 200 litre plastic food grade olive drums from a yard in Sydney to store water in. 2000 arrived and he did not need his stored water and the drums passed into my possesion. I now use some of them to store Grain in they are completly vermin proof and hold three sacks of grain each. I believe he bought them for $5.00 each from an advertisement in the Land or Country life. They are used to import Olives from Spain and the guy I got them from told me the yard in Sydney is full of them. If anyone knows where this yard is in Sydney a post on here could help a lot of brewers.
Cheers Altstart

Back