60 Minute Mash 60 Minute Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I have recently returned to a 60 minute mash & boil with no apparent adverse effect on the smaller grain bills .

I still do a 90 min Mash and 90 min boil for big grain bills .

I cant quite remember why I moved to a 90 min boil I think it was to avoid protein haze .

Pumpy

Maybe if you sparge with more water to extract more sugar? Higher efficiency - but then you need to boil for longer to get to the desired amount of wort and gravity?

Hey Pumpy i've always done a 60min mash & boil, the beer always comes out good except when I use lots of wheat or adjuncts then i may get chill haze but i can live with that.
Actually it may be closer to a 90min mash as i don't mashout & it takes quite a while for the sparge water to heat the grain bed above 70C but i officially start to sparge at 60min. Boil is always 60min exactly.

Lagers

I pretty much only go with the 90min boil when using european Pils malt to get rid of the higher DMS.

I have not found any problems with the 60min boil and anything that shortens the brew day cannot be all bad

Hey Pumpy i've always done a 60min mash & boil, the beer always comes out good except when I use lots of wheat or adjuncts then i may get chill haze but i can live with that.
Actually it may be closer to a 90min mash as i don't mashout & it takes quite a while for the sparge water to heat the grain bed above 70C but i officially start to sparge at 60min. Boil is always 60min exactly.

Lagers

Lagers

I thought you would have done a 90 min boil to avoid that chill haze in all those lagers you make but hey if 60 mins works.

It certainly does for a lot of mine .

Pumpy :)

I've never had issues with DMS using a 60min boil either, my view being if the DMS is there & i can't notice it or it's not there at all then it makes no difference to me.
....( whispering ) by the way i boil with the lid partially on the kettle as well to reduce evaporation.

Some-one's bound to call me a heretic ! :eek:

lagers

Ive always done 60min mash and boil and found no adverse affects, i was actually starting to wonder why you go any longer.

Lagers i have often boiled with the lid on to slow evaporation

Kleiny

If I am not using too much coloured malts, but mainly base malt I only do a 60min mash otherwise will let wheat bees and big, dark malty german lagers mash for 90, but I alway boil for 75 mins. That give me 15 mins of boil for the hot break and foam to settle then I boil, but not as hard as I used to, for 60mins. Works fine.

Steve

The best explanation I've seen of why a 90min boil is beneficial can be found here:
http://bavarianbrewerytech.com/news/boilhops.htm

Exerpt:
STAGES AND LENGTH OF BOILING

From practical point of view, boiling should not take less than 90 minutes. The specific length depends on the hop schedule. The minimum time is explained by the following. Sterilization requires about 5 minutes. An additional 10 minutes (total of 15 minutes) will kill the enzymes. Another 15 minutes are needed to eliminate tannin originating from malt husks. This first half hour, in case of infusion mash, is to decompose and precipitate some of the proteins. This should be accomplished before hops are added, because otherwise the sticky hop resins will combine with the coarse protein flocks and precipitate out of solution. When decoction mashing is used, excessive complex proteins are usually not a problem. After that, calculate the total time needed to evaporate the desired amount of wort. Subtract the above 30 minutes. The remaining time should include the hops schedule so that the hops should not be boiled longer than one hour. Except for high gravity beers, the total boiling time should not last longer than 2 hours. Boiling the hops longer than one hour will start generating sharp, undesirable and unpleasant flavors. During a long boil a greater percentage of the hops bittering and preservative qualities are carried into the finished beer.
Thus, the stages of boiling are characterized by the functions: sterilization, driving out oxygen, killing enzymes, protein break-down, evaporation of water and hops processing.

If I am not using too much coloured malts, but mainly base malt I only do a 60min mash otherwise will let wheat bees and big, dark malty german lagers mash for 90, but I alway boil for 75 mins. , but not as hard as I used to, for 60mins. Works fine.

Steve

Steve ,

thats a good point you made about "15 mins of boil for the hot break and foam to settle then I boil"

I have to scum skim the bits that get through the FB

Pumpy

Latest posts

Back