6 O’CLOCK Brews - Home Brewing More Old Australian Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great and just ordered my copy Peter.

Free shipping until 13 November 2017 with coupon code SHIPIT2017 makes its $27.50 AUD delivered.

Looks great and just ordered my copy Peter.

Free shipping until 13 November 2017 with coupon code SHIPIT2017 makes its $27.50 AUD delivered.

Well done - probably one of the first to order in Australia. Please let me know what you think.

Peter

Ordered, actually brewing my first (life gets in the way!) brew with wlp059

Ordered, actually brewing my first (life gets in the way!) brew with wlp059

Life is just a series of priorities! Choose wisely. What are you brewing with 059?

Cheers
Peter

Life is just a series of priorities! Choose wisely. What are you brewing with 059?

Cheers
Peter
Brewing a Tooheys 1922 Bulk from bronzed brews, you might have heard of it!

Well now I look forward to reading your next book, good work!

Thanks for the code. mine worked out at $25 ish. The US Dollar must have tanked or something.

Peter I take it that the 6 O'clock refers to the swill session? Keen to experience a swill session myself with a good honest get-em-hammered draught beer of the era, will have four lined up on the bar and three between my feet, wearing a hat while I do it.

My 1913 Toohey's Standard Pale Ale was a ripper and I've done a sort of Tooth's XXX more modern tribute with P.O.R. for the QLD case swap. Being bottled, hopefully it will result in a more widespread "bank" of 059 around the traps if the swapees want to reculture.

O/T: Would I be right in assuming that Qld ( Castlemaine Perkins and Bulimba) abandoned ales earlier in the piece and brewed just lagers after World War 2, or is that info still to be unearthed? Their flagship products were described as Ales right up to recent times. Gold Top etc.

Thanks for the code. mine worked out at $25 ish. The US Dollar must have tanked or something.

Yes cheers, $25.41.

Looking forward to reading it.

Peter I take it that the 6 O'clock refers to the swill session? Keen to experience a swill session myself with a good honest get-em-hammered draught beer of the era, will have four lined up on the bar and three between my feet, wearing a hat while I do it.

My 1913 Toohey's Standard Pale Ale was a ripper and I've done a sort of Tooth's XXX more modern tribute with P.O.R. for the QLD case swap. Being bottled, hopefully it will result in a more widespread "bank" of 059 around the traps if the swapees want to reculture.

O/T: Would I be right in assuming that Qld ( Castlemaine Perkins and Bulimba) abandoned ales earlier in the piece and brewed just lagers after World War 2, or is that info still to be unearthed? Their flagship products were described as Ales right up to recent times. Gold Top etc.

Bribie
The 6 o'clock in the title refers to one of the main drivers towards the sale of bottled beers i.e. the closing time in most States of 6 o'clock from about 1916 till ...

I have yet to gain access or find primary brewing records in Qld, or Melbourne or SAB in Adelaide for that matter so I am unable to give an opinion of ale vs lager.

Anyone who could provide me access to archives for these breweries is very welcome to get in touch.

Peter

Last edited:
Ordered, really enjoyed your last one (even though I haven't brewed any of them, still a great read).

Ordered too. Interested to see some of the early colonial recipes. I'm actually co-authoring a paper being delivered at the experimental archaeology session at this year's Australia's national archaeology conference. One of the team authors has brewed one if the recipes from bronzed brews and I brewed a (strong?) Ale from a recipe published in the 1835 West Australian newspaper.

We're focussing on recreating early colonial beers and discussing the role beer played in early colonial society and the misconceptions of how we relate the current social meaning (and taste, it seems) of beer to the past. Just a question, have you found any recipes for the "sugar beers" that the papers consistently diss in the early 19th century?I'm My understanding is that these were primarily sugar and water with a bit of raw grain thrown in for "flavour", but I've not been able to find a recipe.

Latest posts

Back