5L mini kegs - anyone using them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
so i've seen these in previous older threads but wanted to get any updated info.

long story short, i don't have the space, the money or a spare fridge i can keep larger kegs in. these, at the moment, are my only option and one i'm considering to get out of having to bottle 20L of beer for every brew. even if i have 10L in mini kegs and 10L of bottles would be preferable.

questions:

1. i usually carbonate with carb drops - what's the best way to work out how many per 5L minikeg? just some sort of priming guide? i've read you need less for kegging than for smaller bottles.
2. the guide below shows the co2 attachments for pouring - anyone use those with ease?
3. and vaseline? does that not give a strange taste when dunked into the brew?

any other tips and help would be great.

attachment below from a company who sells them.

View attachment minikeg guide.pdf

guess not. all good will email the company

Yob said:
bulk priming calculator that should help with one of the questions.. (ed: this is for bottles.. .5 the amount for kegs)

dunking vaseline? I wouldnt.. isnt that petrolium jelly or some such?
yeah mate. the PDF shows to add vaseline or p jelly to the co2 pouring device - to lube it into the keg i'm assuming?

vaseline is petroleum based and will erode and harden any type of rubber long term.

Hi fletcher.

I recently used one and for 5lts I added just one measured tablespoon of dextrose and it carbonated perfect.

Pratty1 said:
Hi fletcher. I recently used one and for 5lts I added just one measured tablespoon of dextrose and it carbonated perfect.
thanks mate. what beer was this? pale ale of some sort??
do you serve it via gravity feed or do you use a c02 dispenser?

Yeah it was a American pale ale. I had to use the co2 to get it out. The family that were over at the time thought it was a neat way to serve beer insteaf of at the bar in the shed.

Use co2 to dispense if not finishing the entire keg in one sitting, otherwise gravity is fine

Why not fill your your ten litre aldi water containers and use the dispenser/regulator thingy from mini-keg in a drilled rubber bung that fits into the opening? Save yourself $100 to spend on your mill

NewtownClown said:
Why not fill your your ten litre aldi water containers and use the dispenser/regulator thingy from mini-keg in a drilled rubber bung that fits into the opening? Save yourself $100 to spend on your mill
sounds good!!!

(also sounds like another job for my handyman - newtownclown - to help me with...with beer payment of course) hahahaha

I've just gone and grabbed a garden sprayer from bunnings. You can stick some 5mm hose through the hose side and seal it up and then use the pump to server (assuming all consumed in a day). This one will be my single day keg

In a second one I've put a car valve on the hose side and it fits perfectly. Planning on doing the lid with a JG bulkhead and using this for multiple day and serve with a bike co2 inflator and bulbs

If you already have the keg ignore this.

Latest posts

Back