5l Mini Keg Priming And Re-bunging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
Can I fill a clean mini-keg with the same priming ratio as bottle (175g dex/20L beer)?

I was able to get the bung pushed in but the little plastic center plug got pushed in a little too. Will it pop back?

Is there a trick to those bungs?

A little less sugar than you would do for bottle priming ( Midwest Brewing USA have a PDF sheet on using and caring for 5Lt minikegs it is a good read and will give you a good heads up ).
http://www.brew-winemaking.com/ProductPDF/4906.pdf

The plastic centre plug should be OK as the pressure build up will tend to push it back up into the bung from below.

I used minikegs for a couple of years when I had to and they worked well until I managed to move to a more spacious residence and go the full monty with cornie kegs.

Modified 08/09/2011 cause I'm a goose and got my info wrong!

A little less sugar than you would do for bottle priming ( Midwest Brewing USA have a PDF sheet on using and caring for 5Lt minikegs it is a good read and will give you a good heads up ).

The plastic centre plug should be OK as the pressure build up will tend to push it back up into the bung from below.

I used minikegs for a couple of years when I had to and they worked well until I managed to move to a more spacious residence and go the full monty with cornie kegs.

midwest supply is only about an hour from here.

it didn't work. I soaked it in starsan and tried to shake out as much as possible but I think the leftovers killed the yeast. The bottles from this batch were fine

it didn't work. I soaked it in starsan and tried to shake out as much as possible but I think the leftovers killed the yeast. The bottles from this batch were fine
I have one carbing right now (filled it about 9 days ago). I sanitised with starsan too. As I bulk prime (the rest of the batch is in bottles), it is now actually overcarbed and I'm bleeding off the excess co2 once a day till it finishes.

With regard to the possibility of over-priming the mini kegs, I bought one of THESE tire pressure gauges. Accurate to 0.5 psi and it at least lets you know if your refitted (thanks to Oldfartsbruhaus) keg is over pressured. (which mine was)

Back