• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

50l Kegs Narangba - $50

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadders

Reaction score
One of my neighbors owns a pub somewhere and for whatever reason has 5 * 50L kegs (4 after I've snavelled one) he wants to get rid of for $50 each. Had a look this arvo and they are in good condition. Hold a seal etc.

If you want one let me know and I'll put you in touch.

Are they legal ie not stolen kegs?

Definitely not stolen. As I said he owns a pub and they came from there. Apparently he changed supplier and the the old supplier refused to come and pick up the kegs (and therefore refund the deposit) because the pub is somewhere fairly remote. The $50 he wants is just to cover his deposit. Whether that constitutes legal or not I don't know.

Definitely not stolen. As I said he owns a pub and they came from there. Apparently he changed supplier and the the old supplier refused to come and pick up the kegs (and therefore refund the deposit) because the pub is somewhere fairly remote. The $50 he wants is just to cover his deposit. Whether that constitutes legal or not I don't know.

No it doesn't.

Cheers Ross

To all, not Ross directly;

Soo many kegs / Keggle owners on this forum but seriously, are the big breweries that astute that they track them down?

I have owned keggles and have since moved on to pots due to volume but not once, when there was a knock at the door did I think, OH SHIT, it's a 'keg retrieval' officer from CUB or whatever....

Are you serious about the 'legality' of having a keg at your home? Sure it is the property of the brewery but seriously, do we need to be so precious about it?

Seriously, has ANYONE EVER been busted for this heinous crime? F8ck me.... everyone goes on about it like we are cooking crack.

sorry, 2c.

moral high ground: the perfect spot to set up artillery :p

To all, not Ross directly;

Soo many kegs / Keggle owners on this forum but seriously, are the big breweries that astute that they track them down?

I have owned keggles and have since moved on to pots due to volume but not once, when there was a knock at the door did I think, OH SHIT, it's a 'keg retrieval' officer from CUB or whatever....

Are you serious about the 'legality' of having a keg at your home? Sure it is the property of the brewery but seriously, do we need to be so precious about it?

Seriously, has ANYONE EVER been busted for this heinous crime? F8ck me.... everyone goes on about it like we are cooking crack.

sorry, 2c.

Depends - some people might think that even if the chances of being caught were really very low, it would still be the wrong thing to do to steal and cut up someone elses property - or to buy or sell stolen property.

Most of the threads devoted to this are about whether or not kegs are legal - they usually aren't. Knowing that, an individual's choice to take possesion of something stolen and illegal - or not - is entirely up to them.

So long as people aren't lead to believe that what they are doing is legal when in fact it isn't - its just a matter of where they feel the line between right and wrong needs to be drawn.

Depends - some people might think that even if the chances of being caught were really very low, it would still be the wrong thing to do to steal and cut up someone elses property - or to buy or sell stolen property.

Most of the threads devoted to this are about whether or not kegs are legal - they usually aren't. Knowing that, an individual's choice to take possesion of something stolen and illegal - or not - is entirely up to them.

So long as people aren't lead to believe that what they are doing is legal when in fact it isn't - its just a matter of where they feel the line between right and wrong needs to be drawn.

What would you equate the loss of profit to a brewery like CUB be to kegs being used as home brew pots? Seriously, what would it be?

By all means I am not trying to justify illegal activity or have no intent in endorsing theft or illegal activity.....

But I am sure many of us have used a milk crate for numerous purposes just as we have used kegs for this and that but the main reason for my little post was the uproar every time someone mentions a 50L keg, its like the swat team come in hut hut hut hut.. scaling the walls and saying how the sky is about to fall in because CUB have taken another hit..... I understand that this is a public forum and all that is said is onus to the person posting it....

Anyway, I am happy to move on and sorry OP to disturb your thread.

BTW: Before I started home brewing I am sure I drunk enough megaswill to justify paying for the loss of a keg or 2... :p

Cheers

In this instance you would justifiably be able to argue "abandonment of property", especially given the publican contacted the owners and they refused to collect.

I am sure someone with a more legal mind (or their partner Bonj?) would be able to clarify, but pretty sure that if property is abandoned, its a free for all.

By not collecting the kegs and keeping the deposit the brewery has effectively handed ownership to the pub. not a problem. The publican should have this in writing to support any claims.

Just a thought on the issue of getting caught with one, yes its pretty bloody unlikely anything will happen,
but case in point is the chick in the states last year who got hit with a $580,000 fine for downloading music of the internet.
We all do that because hey, nothing gonna happen.
It does and you dont want to be the one who gets caught.

BTW, $10,000 fine for possesing a milk crate that belongs to a milk producer...for each crate. and people have been done for it.

What would you equate the loss of profit to a brewery like CUB be to kegs being used as home brew pots? Seriously, what would it be?
Millions!!
XXXX lost more than 20,000 kegs last year due to the floods and other related instances

Several people per brewery dedicated to the prevention of assett loss depending on the severity. Seriously thats all they do is track down kegs. No they dont have an A team but they do call the police and you might get a SRT team raid. :D

this instance you would justifiably be able to argue "abandonment of property", especially given the publican contacted the owners and they refused to collect.
If Lion Nathan kegs Let me know I will organise for collection, or just call the brewery direct and ask for the head of beer systems.

I know for a fact that CUB have a policy of chasing kegs down and even offer a $50 dollar reward for retrieval and dobbing others in. They also prosecute those where the offense is multiple ie more than 2 kegs. I used to have the flyer somewhere but cant seem to find it. CUB and Lion Nathan both troll the interweb looking for such instances albeit mostly ebay. Thats why when you see a keg up for sale on Ebay and then you go back it is in most instances taken down pretty quickly. I dont really want to get into the legalities of it because I probably will get shot down in flames. However morally I think it is probably not the right thing to do. I guess its like shopping for groceries. You use the grocery trolly as a tool to help you to the car etc, but you dont take it home!!! I know us guys at Lion Nathan think that it sucks when someone steals kegs because it affects our bottom line and thus our bonus at the end of year. I am not the keg police either so dont freak out!

Jimmyjack out

In my opinion it's not the possession of brewery kegs that makes other people uncomfortable and hence question the legality, it's the trade in the kegs that sets people off. I'm more than happy to know that people have ex CUB and LN kegs... i just wouldn't be comfortable purchasing one, especially if the transaction was occurring on a public online forum.

Well I didn't mean to start a shitstorm. It would seem to me that the bloke is just trying to recover the $50 deposit that he's rightfully entitled to and the supplier is effectively refusing to give back. All I was offering to do was put people in contact with him but he's got no idea about any of this that's erupted and I'm not going to put him at risk of some overzealous net nanny collecting a bounty so offer is withdrawn.

I think on this site, the issue is as much about the website not being a vehicle for trading of stolen property, that is what eBay is for :D
And obviously kegs are #1 hot ticket item on a beer website.

The milk crate comparison gets used a lot, ethically maybe the same, but practically the value is very different.

It'd be good if one of the Breweries/Keg producers set up a legal means to acquire ones that don't hold a seal/have been decommissioned - for a reasonable price, it'd squash the market in ones from the back of the pub and save everyone a hassle.

Interesting to note on the US sites they don't seem to really give a fig about provenance with kegs, most seem to come from scrap merchants/craigslist/wherever.

It'd be good if one of the Breweries/Keg producers set up a legal means to acquire ones that don't hold a seal/have been decommissioned - for a reasonable price, it'd squash the market in ones from the back of the pub and save everyone a hassle.

www.kegking.com.au recently had some legal D type kegs in good condition for $100. They have other kegs too.

It'd be good if one of the Breweries/Keg producers set up a legal means to acquire ones that don't hold a seal/have been decommissioned

Ethical dilemma solved. Very few kegs will hold a seal once a brewer had finished with them :D

Ethical dilemma solved. Very few kegs will hold a seal once a brewer had finished with them :D
I dunno, I think you could fit a baby seal quite comfortably in a keggle. Just have to club it a bit to soften it up.

FYI a mate of mine owns a keg hire business and when he orders kegs, the serial numbers of the kegs are written down from the breweries. As far as a deposit goes? thats bollocks, no deposit is handed over, as far as returns go? If a customer wants to keep his keg then he keeps it and it becomes his/her responsibility to get it back to the breweries which is as easy as taking it to your local pub or ringing them to pick it up.
There are two suppliers of kegs, Lion Nathan and Fosters. If i owned a pub, i would want to sell from both suppliers, you do the math. I have 6 empty kegs just sitting in my garage and i will glady sell for 50 bucks each if someone wants them. I also have a milk crate and bread crate too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back