50L keg storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oompa

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been doing a heap of reading throug this forum but unable to find the answer to a question that's bugging me

I'm looking at occasionally buying a 50L commercial keg which i'd then like to transfer to 19L cornies. From what I can gather the best way of doing this is via the method in this thread (Keg Transfer Made Easy...)

My question relates to the long(ish) term storage of the 50L beer. The 50L keg word ordinarily be at room temperature but are there any tips in preserving it as long as possible?

I'm thinking along the lines of needing to keep gas on it etc or would a quick blast of c02 post transfer keep it ok?

Thanks in advance

If you want your beer to last, treat it like milk - store it cold and consume it quickly. Beer stored warm will stale faster, and if it's a delicate beer (like an IPA) then we're talking about a shelf life of weeks or less.

If you're doing a pressure transfer while cold then the pressure you introduce to the source keg should be sufficient to maintain carbonation. If the seals are good on the keg you shouldn't have to add any other CO2..

Back