• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

500ml bottles needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stehowardtlr

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the homebrew game and have just started out on my first batch. I managed to source enough bottles for it but they are 750 ml. Would prefer some 500 ml bottles for the next one. Anyone got any cheap or free if possible? I'm in Victoria, Cranbourne area but will travel if around here. Many thanks Steve

500ml is not a very common size. Grolsch are 450ml, otherwise best bet is coopers bottles at 375ml. Or maybe go for 600ml P.E.T. bottles.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk.

Or you could try various craft brews which occasionally have 500ml bottles. Maybe a couple cartons of the S&W Stone Beer ($9 a bottle/$75 a carton of 12). I have seen their Pacific Ale in 500ml as well. I have seen different craft beers in this size, and crown seal as well.

pedleyr said:
Any reason for 500ml ones mate, as opposed to the 750s?
I thought 500's would be nice for pouring into a pint glass with room for a bit of head.

stienberg said:
500ml is not a very common size. Grolsch are 450ml, otherwise best bet is coopers bottles at 375ml. Or maybe go for 600ml P.E.T. bottles.

I thought about grolsch bottles but people are selling them for draft money. I'd rather not use plastic bottles. People say it doesn't taste the same.???

Euro imports, craft beer pints and some kiwi pints are all 500ml and close enough.

The kiwis and some Aussie micros tend to do these weird 650ml size as well, so beware.

As for swing tops, altenmunster at dan Murphy is in 500ml swing tops with proper ceramic tops. Generally, german half litre bottles are good thick stuff (mostly).

I've got a bunch of random bottles you can have, plus a crate or so 7 fiddy's to boot, will need a clean but you are welcome to them, might even have some grolsch ones to chuck in for nix.

Ringwood

Yob said:
I've got a bunch of random bottles you can have, plus a crate or so 7 fiddy's to boot, will need a clean but you are welcome to them, might even have some grolsch ones to chuck in for nix.

Ringwood
Sounds good to me but how far is Ringwood from Cranbourne?

stienberg said:

old grolsh are 473ml , new are 450ml

they ripped us off about few years ago

Grab a sixer of Scofferhofer every week or two from Dans.
Only $23.
Before long you will have a good collection of 500 ml bottles.
I suffered for many a month before I got my few hundred of them !!! :beerbang:

CF

All the Dan Murphy's up here have hook Norton brews on sale for 2.99. Good sturdy 500ml bottles plus they come filled with lovely English ale.

I assume the same price applies in Mexico?

practicalfool said:
As for swing tops, altenmunster at dan Murphy is in 500ml swing tops with proper ceramic tops. Generally, german half litre bottles are good thick stuff (mostly).

the last alternmunster i got has a plastic lid :(

Stehowardtlr, shoot a PM to carniebrew. He organised a bulk buy of 1,800 500ml bottles from plasedine earlier in the year. From memory he ended up with quite a few bottles himself and has now turned to kegging. He may be happy to sell you some brand new bottles.

Topher said:
All the Dan Murphy's up here have hook Norton brews on sale for 2.99. Good sturdy 500ml bottles plus they come filled with lovely English ale.

I assume the same price applies in Mexico?
+1 to this. I have built up a big collection of these. Great bottles. Although the labels are stuck on with the most hardcore glue ever made. I just dont bother de labelling them.

They are apparently still on sale for 35 a case of twelve. Check out dans site

Back