5 Long years

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recharge

Reaction score
Well at a guess its been about 5 long years since i made a batch of beer.

Anyway i just cracked my first stubbie of (not yet fully carbed) amarillo ale made with 5 year old grain and 2006 hops(vaccuum sealed in freezer) and i must say i have no complaints.

Glad to be brewing again

Rich

Welcome back to brewing.
Hope you feel fully "recharged" after your 5 year sabbatical.

I'll see your 5 years & raise you 5.

'Been out of it (no smartarse comments from the peanut gallery, please!) for about 10 years & just getting back-in now. Lots has changed & some things remain exactly as they always were. I'm enjoying the steepness of the re-learning curve.

I still have access to my grain-store (including 1999-crop Australian wheat :unsure:) & a large supply of Suranne hops (not that I'm likely to use them). Maybe I should just make lambics for awhile...?

Welcome back to the ranks of folks smart enough to not buy beer. Enjoy!

Thanks guys.

I can say with confidence that the old grain seems to be hitting most of my expected numbers and tastes fine.

Wont be the best beer i'll ever make but i found a full bag of MO plus i had heaps of spec grains in the freezer. I wasn't throwing it out unless it didn't convert.

Rich

Logman said:
Hope you realize you might have been able to put an extension on your house with the amarillo you had stored. :D
I still have a fair whack to use up.
Thankfully I don't need an extension.

Rich

recharge said:
I still have a fair whack to use up.
Thankfully I don't need an extension.
Rich
A bigger brewing area maybe? :)

My shed is only 90sqm - I could use an upsize.

Rich

Welcome back to the dark side, we still have cookies.

Nothing wrong with 2006 hops, I think it was the most awesome year for hop crops and stored correctly (as you have) they will still be ok to use. As you mentioned, it all still works.

QldKev said:
Nothing wrong with 2006 hops, I think it was the most awesome year for hop crops and stored correctly (as you have) they will still be ok to use. As you mentioned, it all still works.
I did have to throw out a bunch of flowers all kinda went yellow but nearly all the pellets look and smell ok, definitely not in there prime but ok.
Rich

Back